• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hajime no Ippo Rising (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:58 am Reply with quote

Hajime no Ippo Rising

Genres: comedy, drama, tournament
Themes: boxing

Plot Summary: Ippo continues to defend his Japanese Featherweight title from an ever stronger pool of challengers. Meanwhile, Takamura challenges for his second WBC title in the middleweight class, and Aoki challenges for the Japanese Lightweight title.

Pretty decent start so far. They started with a flashback with little spoiler[Ippo and what happened to his father.] Damn, I feel for him after what happened.

I was surprised by the spoiler[early title defense but the intensity of the matches really impressed me later. The comedy is also refreshing to watch and there was also an episode with a love triangle built up. Recently, Vorg came back so I was quite pleased to see him again. I'm looking forward to the upcoming fight as
Sawamura Ryuuhei reminds me a little of Brian Hawk from the previous season. Should be an epic fight.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I might be the only other person watching this title, but I like it too. Aoki's look away made me laugh out loud every time he did it, and I am looking forward to an epic Sawamura fight soon!

Regarding the spoiler[early title defense]:

spoiler[It was a little rushed. In the long scheme of things, Ippo didn't really learn much from the fight with Shimabukuro so I can see why it was abbreviated. In the manga, there was a lot more back story about their shared fishing background and the fight lasted a long time to show that they were both endurance fighters who relied on brute strength. It even sort of played with the idea that Ippo was more of a finesse fighter than Shimabukuro. But really, I think it was meant to demonstrate how equivalent they are so that when Ippo watches the tape of Sawamura annihilating Shimabukuro, it would be more ominous]

Basically, I think the main thrust of the series is going to be Ippo v. Sawamura as the climax of the first cour, and Takamura v. Eagle will be midway through the second. Based on the OP, I have high hopes for what will come at the end of the second cour.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad there are also others that are enjoying this season! The latest episode felt a little slow but seeing Vlog throwing fists left and right in a spar against Ippo again is refreshing! I can't wait to see the upcoming matches...

Should be fun.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm a big fan of the Ippo franchise. Haven't read the manga (and am, personally, afraid to try since it's such a long series), but I absolutely love the first anime and regard it as the cream of the crop in terms of the shounen genre (well, next to the Kyoto arc in Kenshin). And as much as I like the second series, the music was a huge detractor for me to call it a compliment to the masterpiece that already is.

Before I get to catching up on Rising, I just wanna' know who's doing the music. A friend of mine who's seen a few episodes said he thinks they're just recycling the music from the first series, which I have no qualms with, whatsoever. I'll take re-hashed greatness over a crash-and-burn composition any day of the week.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Well Tony, you'll be happy to hear that the guy who did the original music is also doing it for this series! You'll also be unhappy to know that the guy who did New Challenger's music is also working on this series though. (Credits now added to the encyclopedia.)

They recycle some music from the first series, and but it has mostly new compositions. I think they just kept some of the leitmotifs and you'll recognize the music that gets played in the opening seconds of episode 1.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Good to know.

Tsuneo Imahori's work for the first series is beyond epic. And as much as I love Yoshihisa Hirano for his more classical/tradtional stuff (especially for things like Death Note and Ouran Host Club), I can't say he did a very good job for New Challenger. But if they've got both of them workin' on Rising (a la Death Note, where Hirano also shared the compositional load with Hideki Taniuchi), I'm a happy camper. Heck, maybe they'll even collaborate and learn something from each other, making it a very balanced score just like DN.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:52 pm Reply with quote
During Rising's hiatus, I watched all of the first and second series, and both specials. It really set me up for this ridiculously epic fight. Some of the animation was pretty bad, especially the shots where the fight was happening in the background. But the fight as a whole was great and felt like a truly difficult struggle. I'm actually quite glad they let out episodes 12 and 13 at the same time. It would have been a crime against humanity to break up the climax of that fight, I almost had to get Ban Ki-Moon on the phone.

I read the comics, and I know what roughly happens next with Ippo, but I am now doubting my memory about what goes on with Takamura and the rest of the gym members and various associates. So, basically, I'm looking forward to the rest of this series.
SethMosrite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 17, probably the funniest of the season. The hair cut motivation is incredible. Both fights were hilarious, plus we got a Tomiko sighting! Edit: I almost forgot to mention the spoiler[double look away!]

I've finally gotten all the episodes from the first two seasons of Hajime no Ippo, so I am working through those while staying current on Rising.

I love "manly" shows like this and Kaiji, they don't seem to be very popular though. They never get licensed or discussed. Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1