• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
From the New World (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:46 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[I don't think it was trying to go too far with that. I think the point really was that it doesn't matter where the rats came from at this point, but it only says something about the society in the past that produced them. When Satoru found out about it, he went on to say that ultimately the rats are what they are. It might matter to some people whether they were originally human or not (namely some of the human establishment, seeing as they have been designed to be unable to kill humans, and that distinction matters to them), but it's saying that such distinctions are kind of foolish. The rats are what they are, and you shouldn't treat them differently based on where they came from.]

spoiler[I don't think that the kids are sociopaths. They show a great deal of empathy towards each other and the other villagers. Most of them do show a borderline disregard for nonhuman life, but that comes from the fact that their barriers to violence are ingrained strongly in their distinction between self and other, and it's a societal thing. I'm not saying it's desirable; what I'm saying is that there are undesirable behaviors that go on on a societal level. Would you call someone living 100 years ago who expressed sexist or homophobic attitudes a sociopath? Not really. Part of the point of the show is that there do exist those social norms that lead to bad things happening that do not stem from defects in the individuals. Our society certainly has those, some of which we are probably unable to see because the social paradigm that removes those problems is unavailable to us yet (I think I may have an idea of what some of them are, and even the show addresses some of them but no need to go there now).]
Arkthelad

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:44 pm Reply with quote
On the rat issue, my interpretation is that the revelation at the end is more about the horror of what Cantis users have had to do in order to ensure their survival. To me, spoiler[turning all non-Cantis using human beings into rodent hybrids] is much more horrifying than eliminating teenagers who show signs of mental instability.

One of the most disturbing parts of SSY is that none of the characters are evil. All of the unethical actions committed are done in the name of survival and in most cases with reasonable justification. That's a much more challenging narrative, than having all the bad acts committed by "villains".

I agree with what Galap, about our society having similar problems that we don't face up to because we don't see a way to avoid them and ensure society's survival.
drdr48

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Saki and Shun never had sex or even kissed, I think that's the irony, in their sexually open society, these two who loved each other most never even kissed.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Never? I though they had a child by the end.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:08 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Maria & Mamoru were forced by the Monster Rats to have a child, the Ogre. At the end Saki and Satoru are married so I assume it is their child (rather than Saki and Shun's) although I don't remember it being made abundantly clear. ]

Too many names beginning with S. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I see. Got confused with the names.
bekam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I have a question about TV-rip version of this anime.
Does Shinsekai Yori have censorship?
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:47 am Reply with quote
Not to my knowledge. There isn't too much questionable content (visually anyways).
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:54 am Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
spoiler[Maria & Mamoru were forced by the Monster Rats to have a child, the Ogre. At the end Saki and Satoru are married so I assume it is their child (rather than Saki and Shun's) although I don't remember it being made abundantly clear. ]

Too many names beginning with S. Laughing

I don't think the Monster Rats can force Maria and Mamoru to do anything because they are much more powerful than the rats, but they got tricked.
One person can wiped the rats out, they have to win with brain.
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Anime Marathon Discussion (Nov. 6th, 2015 - Nov. 15th, 2015)

Spoilers Reminder for Marathon Discussion: Tag all spoilers within your post(s) and record the episode number(s) you're discussing at the top of your post.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 62 of 62