• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pile of Shame - After School Tinker Bell

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Well, that wasn't anything special, but it was a decent watch. I did not waste 46 minutes. I'm a sucker for the old school designs, and the mystery was decent. Thank you, Justin, for showing me something I didn't even knew existed.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Saw this long time ago; don't remember it. Anime smile + sweatdrop
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Early nineties may be old school, but the style changes in character designs just doesn't work like the 80s does for me.
Chii85

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Do you think Discotek would pick up the rights? I know I don't like them because they don't dub titles and I respect their attempts to get their titles a good quality release but maybe if people can recognize this title then maybe it will have a good reputation.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:48 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Early nineties may be old school, but the style changes in character designs just doesn't work like the 80s does for me.

Melanchthon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap. Literally just watched this. Literally, as a just couple weeks ago. As mentioned in the article, there is amazing chemistry between the male and female lead, and chemistry is very hard to excel at in animation. The way the characters play off each other and the mix of the morbid with the comedy makes this a show worth watching, even if the plot is somewhat bizarre. Seriously, it's worth tracking down.

Secret confession time: I also am a sucker for 90's character designs. I blame Lina Inverse.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:38 pm Reply with quote
If I got to give 80s/90s designs one thing, it's that there's more definition in their faces as opposed to the blob-like rounded off faces of today.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:01 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

wow, this is fascinating stuff, I've never seen a side by side comparison and analysis of anime styles then and now like this

I have no real strong personal preference, I like both modern and old school styles, however I will say that I've never seen sexier female character designs than say Faye Valentine in Cowboy Bebop or the ladies in Golden Boy, both of which are from the 90's
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:33 am Reply with quote
This OVA looks like it might be a fun watch. Just out of curiosity - a lot of the light novels adapted today seem to be targeted at the shonen demographic - are there many light novels written for the shojo or josei demographics these days?
gemexe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:34 am Reply with quote
Just a casual reader of ANN reporting in...

Quote:
A short time later, her new boyfriend Kenichi comes to Azuki claiming the girl has gone missing, and was possibly kidnapped. Then the broadcast club gets an ominous letter, from a dead former member of the club, claiming to have killed her.

Quote:
Akizuki and Misako explore all the gossip and rumor, trying to figure out who might be behind the letter, and behind Reiko's disappearance.

Quote:
That aside, the interplay between Aikzuki and Misako is fun

Sorry, reading this gave me a headache. Proofread man.
ajr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:19 am Reply with quote
Aw man, I love The Thin Man, William Powell is great.

For some reason I keep forgetting light novels existed before the early 2000's, I'm not sure why.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:40 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Saw this long time ago; don't remember it. Anime smile + sweatdrop

well considering that it dont even have an english dub , i wont be searching for this series anytime soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:31 am Reply with quote
tasogarenootome wrote:
Just out of curiosity - a lot of the light novels adapted today seem to be targeted at the shonen demographic - are there many light novels written for the shojo or josei demographics these days?

Tons, though not as many as there are for boys. I don't get the impression that the seinen/josei market is really served by LNs at all (aside from yaoi stuff).

At Japanese bookstores, there's usually a LN aisle near the manga, which starts with a long swath of boys' LNs (most of which have girls on the covers), is followed by a shorter patch of girls' LNs (most of which have boys on the covers), and wraps up with a little corner of fujoshi books (which, naturally, have even more boys and/or men on the covers).

LNs aimed at girls usually have their own labels, such as Cobalt Series, White Heart, and so on.

Edit: I take it back about there being no LNs for older audiences; there's usually a second section of LN-ish novels printed on slightly larger sized paper located elsewhere in the store. This is where the likes of Nisiosin, Nasu Kinoko, Kayata Sunako, Kikuchi Hideyuki and others who skew a bit older "live". There are also lots of reprints of 80's-90's LNs, as well as many WWII novels. Most of what's here is for the guys, though.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:58 am Reply with quote
Regarding the designs, I'm a child of the 80's myself, but early 90's isn't so bad; I like the screen shots in the article. IMO, the main problems with 90's designs are A) Tsukasa Kotobuki and his imitators, and B) AIC deciding that everything needed to look like El-Hazard.

About Golden Boy and Cowboy Bebop: Toshihiro Kawamoto handled the character designs for both.
SomeOneOrOther

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:30 am Reply with quote
[quote="gemexe"]Just a casual reader of ANN reporting in...

[quote]A short time later, her new boyfriend Kenichi comes to [u]Azuki[/u] claiming the girl has gone missing, and was possibly kidnapped. Then the broadcast club gets an ominous letter, from a dead former member of the club, claiming to have killed her.[/quote]

[quote]Akizuki and Misako explore all the gossip and rumor, trying to figure out who might be behind the letter, and behind [u]Reiko's[/u] disappearance.[/quote]

[quote]That aside, the interplay between [u]Aikzuki[/u] and Misako is fun[/quote]

Sorry, reading this gave me a headache. Proofread man.[/quote]

As with all fansubs, it seems like errors make it through no matter how many times they are proofread.
It even happens in the commercial subtitles.

I still have my VHS of this, done from a digital VCR master from the LD back in the late 1990s, during the transition just before burnable DVDs.

BakaBT has the LD source MKV.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2