• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - 10 Great Zombie Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see 'Grand Guignol Orchestra' here; it's actually the only one I could think of. xD

There are zombie-ish things in other things, such as Hellsing (they are Ghouls which are similar); and there is Black Butler's cruise ship arc's events.
angieness

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:02 pm Reply with quote
The fact that I am a Hero is still unlicensed is a tragedy. It's such a great series.
lys

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Could the first b/w image be moved up closer to the paragraph about the actual manga it's from? It was confusing for me to figure out how it related to any of the entries it was placed by (I eventually reread from the beginning and realized it was from #9, Tokyo Zombie, based on the description). This also makes me question which series the other two images are from—in a feature like this covering multiple works, it'd be helpful to have a caption or "pictured at left" in the relevant writeup to help explain.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Where is High School of the Dead? The fact that it is an extreme mix of fanservice and zombie fest makes it totally unique and ridiculous enough for it to be great.
TheLonelyDriver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote
It would awesome if there was a manga similar to the game yakuza dead souls.
BrainBlow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
Where is High School of the Dead? The fact that it is an extreme mix of fanservice and zombie fest makes it totally unique and ridiculous enough for it to be great.

It's far from the first "sexy" zombie series. You are sorely mistaken on that point of originality.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I am a Hero sounds like my cup of tea. Sounds like something that Dark Horse would pick up(?).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I am a Hero is good but because the art is so cinematic, more often than not each book is a "scene".

Not chapters, books. I'd say the backgrounds get the most character development, often times repeating the same panel with minute changes. It makes for an impressive viewing but it lacks for reading material.

Why hasn't this been licensed? I think the better question is why hasn't this been made into a movie yet. The biggest strength of the manga is the horror and the author knows his stuff and how to scare the audience senseless.
RamenKamen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:12 am Reply with quote
does anyone know which manga this image is from?
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:38 pm Reply with quote
The image is from "Tokyo Zombie"!

Sorry about the confusing image placement. (Actually, as some people pointed out, the top color image is from Hideshi Hino's "Hell Baby"... I couldn't find a good image for "Living Corpse".) Unfortunately it's difficult to change images in these articles after they're put up, but if anyone has any questions about what is from what series, just ask me!
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:08 am Reply with quote
I am a hero is so good, the zombies in it are creepy as all hell and its made even creepier by the way they talk.

I've alwasy found that the thing that creeps me out most is zombie babies and this manga managed to raise the bar on that particular monster too....eugh.

Id love for this manga to get a release, and Boys on the run too while they're at it because that manga is equally good just a different genre. Both would be insta-buy tier manga for me with no debating on starting yet another series while i got so many on the go.
gilg4mesh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:01 am Reply with quote
I thought Apocalypse no Toride is the most disturbing for its zombies, till I read I am Hero... Great artwork. IMO what's make it difference from other zombie series is how the author first slowly build the atmosphere, before making a first strike, and I like how the spreading of the zombie is made step by step, thus makes it truly scary.

Btw, if you search for a zombie series with truly moe-ness, try Gakkou Gurashi! Wink At first maybe seems like it's just the usual cute-girl-doing-cute-things, but as the story progress, it goes deeper, sadder, and darker... still moe though Embarassed

Thank you so much for the list! Many that I haven't read or heard (I only know 7,5,4,1). I think first I'll try Kaori Yuki's...
melmouth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:44 pm Reply with quote
All of these three, "Fort of Apocalypse", "I Am a Hero", and "Gakku Gurashi" are stunningly good. The drawing is superb in them all. And, best of all, in each of them the world in which the horrifying events take place is presented in an utterly realistic way. The scenery looks real (it's meticulously drawn); the humans too; and their emotions and motivations likewise.

I found it impossible not to care about these characters, and of course the result was that the horror was very intense. What was going to happen to my fictional friends? Could they possible survive? Which of them would I have to watch being torn apart before this thing ended?

The suspense was unbelievable, and it kept me reading for hours.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1