• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Light Novel in Progress

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blutopia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:56 am Reply with quote
Hello, reader! I go by blutopia, and I am currently writing a light novel. If I can have your time to read through my ideas, it would be much appreciated!

So basically, I was heavily influenced by Spice & Wolf and everything about the anime - from the characters to the setting itself. So, my story (which does not have a suitable title, yet) will be based around the medieval times. The story will revolve around a knight who is bound to his duty by honor as well as the will of his father who was also a knight. On an important journey/mission with another knight, the MC discovers that the fellow knight is a female in the middle of the journey. The reason she has to take the roll of a knight is because her brother, who was the knight she's in disguise as, had secretly abandoned the kingdom. Thus, in order to not have her family dishonored and even banished, she unwillingly accepts the role.The two eventually make a compromise, and as they venture together through battles and towns, their relationship strengthens. At the same time, the two tell each other what they truly seek (the female wants the life of a girl, while the male wishes to be unbound by the role of knighthood), but unfortunately they are unable to do what they want because of their reasons. Ultimately in the end, the female knight's true identity is discovered after a severe injury, and the two decide to run away from the kingdom to seek what they truly desire and who they really are.

The genres for the story will most likely be adventure, action, and romance. There won't be any magic involved to keep the story seemingly realistic.

Thank you for your time! If you wish, you can read some of my writing located below. Otherwise, please comment with suggestions or point out some flaws in my work. Thank you again!

TL;DR
A knight goes on a journey with another knight who is actually a female. Both develop a close relationship with each other throughout the novel. In the end, they escape their kingdom together to discover their true selves.
Read more at http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=718971&show=0#ameKcvwDPKHgMdrl.99
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:24 am Reply with quote
Not a bad premise at all. If they're going to run away at the end, though, I'd suggest setting things up so that doing so is the more difficult and courageous thing for them to do. Since the woman's cover is blown and she's gravely injured, I'd say she's off the hook, but as for the man, his recompense for abandoning his duties seems to be...getting exactly what he wanted (freedom + The Girl). It feels like there's another shoe that needs to drop somewhere.

Will the woman still respect him after what he's done? In "The Age of Innocence" (the movie, anyway) an upstanding man wanted desperately to have an affair with a woman who was drawn to him because of his honor; she could never be with him, though, because doing so would destroy the very thing she loved him for.

Will someone try to follow them when they run away? Obviously, I don't know the details of what you've got planned, though; this is just some stuff I thought about from the synopsis. Good luck and happy writing!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1