• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Girls und Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:55 pm Reply with quote
well personally AO would definitely be on the shelf worthy list as well as girls and panzer.

but this new incarnation of DBZ is an auto perishable cause THERE ARE ALREADY TOO MANY FREAKING INCARNATIONS OF THE SERIES ALREADY!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if you read the comments, whoever's collection this is, but that's really awesome! It definitely tops what I had when I was 12! Smile
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:05 pm Reply with quote
There were a couple of issues with Sentai GuP release I've hit so far, watching the subbed version - the first is the bizarre usage of "goosefish" as the translation of "ankou"(this was literally the first I've ever seen the term; why they can't just use "anglerfish" like everybody else on the planet is beyond me); the latter is the inexcusable mislabeling of the StuG the "Assault III"(possibly a literal translation of the Japanese, which would still be a simple googling away from finding the thing's actual name). I don't know if they carry over to the dub, which I gave up on since everybody sounded the same.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:13 pm Reply with quote
yep, Assault 3 carries over into the dub
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:16 pm Reply with quote

The words. They don't come.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:53 pm Reply with quote
All the Dragon Ball releases are so confusing that even though I know what I want (just up to the first Vegeta fight in the Kai version) I don't even know what I should buy or anticipate coming out at some point.

Polycell wrote:

The words. They don't come.

That words are "Sentai is weaksauce". I can't forget how they sucked most of the humor out of Detroit Metal City with clunky word choices.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:58 pm Reply with quote
"Foot censored because I thought it looked weird"

Very Happy

Not entirely sure how it ended up in that position / photo in the first place.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Glad you finally gave Girls und Panzer a chance at entertaining you. Yeah, it's an entirely silly series that begs to not take it too seriously, but not to the point where you don't care if the girls win or lose or that they have their hearts fully invested in the game. I think that mix of emotions makes the series ultimately charming and workable, and why it sold a crap ton of BDs. It's a sports anime that's not bogged down by the usual trappings of sports anime.

I'm not really a big DBZ fan, though I do like the Dragon Ball universe, though my feelings towards what they did to that set have more to do with my idea that analog sources shouldn't be butchered in such manners. Even inane stuff like most of DBZ deserve proper transfers, and I'd hate to see what they do to Dragon Ball and its movies.
brammerhammer23

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I bought the Dragon Ball Z blu-ray season set just to see what it is like since I got it for cheap on Amazon. It not ideal but i must say it is a upgrade over the orange boxes. Funimation actually went back and use a different crop than the orange boxes so it doesn't cut off as much and it isn't as noticeable. The picture looks pretty good in my opinion but i do mostly agree with bamboo dougs thoughts on the matter. Not a perfect release but if you like DBZ then you could do much worse. I do need to send in pictures of my shelves one of these days though.
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Shelf feature kid:

Coraline! Wow, nice! I'd say stop motion puppet animation is my second favorite kind of animation after drawing.
normajean19

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, I guess I should just give in and buy the Kai blu-rays. I bought the two level sets and they were amazing, but then those were axed. I understand why they released it this way (widescreen = $$$) but if I'm going to watch the original DBZ, I want to watch it how it was originally intended.

Also, sweet shelves! I need to step my game up haha
ajr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I just finished GuP a few days ago, and was also pleasantly surprised. Plenty of attention to detail and shout-outs for military buffs, but plays fast and loose with the logistics of certain things, possibly semi-intentionally for laziness, time-constraints, and added WTF. Each of the schools gets a song (except maybe poor Anzio), with "The British Grenadiers" for the British-themed school, "Katyusha" (missing from the US release due to copyright) for the Russian, and "Panzerlied" for the German, with the Americans also getting "When the Caissons Go Rolling Along". They really did their research, as evidenced by the 53 trivia entries in the ANN encyclopedia. If you want to know how military otaku can get excited about all the various minutia that they obsess over, I'm going to tentatively suggest watching this show. (Incidentally, I found their OVA parody of the Monty Python 'SPAM' sketch while writing this post. Never thought I'd see THAT in anime o.O)
Chii85

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Well this is like the first time they showed a collection from some fan who is disabled specifically a high functioning autistic kid who was twelve years old. I myself is that but I am 28 and I'm a girl.
GVman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If you're a newcomer to the series, you're better off waiting until you've seen the original.

And if you've seen the original, avoid AO like the plague because it craps all over the original series.

Quote:
Well this is like the first time they showed a collection from some fan who is disabled specifically a high functioning autistic kid who was twelve years old. I myself is that but I am 28 and I'm a girl.

Could just be that some have and they never mentioned their disabilities.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:05 am Reply with quote
Not a fan of Eureka 7: AO here but GnP is definitely something I'd buy in the future. The movie and OVA coming out this year too so can't wait for that!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5