• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Links not working

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:00 pm Reply with quote
oookaaaaaayy....

It looks like the master javascript file got corrupted for unknown reasons; there were some garbage characters at the end. So literally all the javascript that controls the site was just broken. To make matters worse, that javascript file has a filename that varies based on its content so it can be cached eternally. So even after fixing the corrupted file, everyone was still getting the cached, corrupted version. As they say, "There are only two hard problems in Computer Science: cache invalidation and naming things." Well, I bypassed the cache problem by slightly modifying the master javascript file, thus giving it a new (uncached) filename.

TLDR: it's fixed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
oookaaaaaayy....

It looks like the master javascript file got corrupted for unknown reasons; there were some garbage characters at the end. So literally all the javascript that controls the site was just broken. To make matters worse, that javascript file has a filename that varies based on its content so it can be cached eternally. So even after fixing the corrupted file, everyone was still getting the cached, corrupted version. As they say, "There are only two hard problems in Computer Science: cache invalidation and naming things." Well, I bypassed the cache problem by slightly modifying the master javascript file, thus giving it a new (uncached) filename.

TLDR: it's fixed

Yeah thanks, I think we can lock this thread now.

To any moderators reading this: Since this issue is already fixed, can I request to have this thread lock?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Dan.
Cyclograph

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote
edit: nevermind, forced cache flush and now working!

All UI of the top bar is broken here too... server: moeka-chan.
At this moment, using an ancient, obsolete XP system with old Firefox (19.0.2), but was working yesterday.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2