• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media Announces New Shōjo Manga Titles

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:13 am Reply with quote
The "Be With You" novel's been out for the last year. I think they just meant the manga.
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Cool, I've always wanted to check out Kokou Debut. Special A doesn't look bad either.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Can't say I have any idea knowledge on the other titles, but High School Debut is an excellent take on the conventions of the high-school romance genre. I'm not even a fanatical fan of that type of shojo but its really a superb title.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping for some more Wataru Yoshizumi titles, but no luck. Sad
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I've never heard of any of them personally, but I'm always happy to see more shoujo in the market Smile
CatzCradle

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:35 pm Reply with quote

Special A:
Quote:
Have you ever known someone who was better than you at everything you did? Hikari does. She's known Kei since they were both six years old and he's surpassed her at everything. Now they are the top two students in an extremely prestigious high school, with Kei holding firmly to that number one position, and Hikari is still determined to beat him, no matter what it takes.

Koukou Debut/HIgh School Debut:
Quote:
Haruna Nagashima gave her all to softball in middle school, and now that she's made her high school debut she's decided to give her all for a new goal. Getting a boyfriend and falling in love! However, she has one small problem. Since she never paid any attention to fashion or trend in middle school she has no idea how to go about attracting her yet-to-be-found love. But a chance encounter with with Yoh Komiyama provides her with the opportunity she needs. If he coaches her in how to become attractive, surely she can find herself a boyfriend!

Arakure/Wild Ones:
Quote:
Wakamura Sachie has lost her mother, and she goes off to live with her grandfather, Asagi Raizou, who is actually a yakuza boss?! She's also assigned a bodyguard, the handsome student president Igarashi Rakuto. But she spends most of her time trying to avoid his overprotectiveness. Can she keep this a secret from her class? Will she be able to graduate high school and become a chef?

Be With You/Ima, ai ni yukimasu:
Quote:
Mio's death leaves husband Takumi and 6 year old son Yuji fending for themselves. Taku occasionally suffers fainting spells, is disorganized, and fears that his health hindered Mio's happiness. Yuji overheard relatives speculate that his delivery compromised her health, and he blames himself for her death. Mio left him a picture book in which she departs for "The Archive Star" but re-appears during the rainy season the following year, and he eagerly awaits her return. Taking a walk in the forest outside their house, Taku and Yuji find a woman sheltering from the rain and immediately accept her as Mio. She has no memory or sense of identity, but comes home to live with them anyway.

This makes me so happy! I love Special A! It's one of my favourite manga. High School Debut is pretty good, quite original. Personally, I found Arakure okay, but it has it's good moments too. I also think there's a movie based on Be With You out.

EDIT: Grammer
kensukeyura

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:34 pm Reply with quote
An excellent selection!! I'm particularly looking forward to this "High School Debut" -- never heard of it before, but the story and art are unique, so I have high hopes! Can't believe I have to wait till 2008 to read it, though... x_x
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Those sound quite interesting.

I wish I had more money Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1