• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crowdsourcing - Anime/Manga/Merch.

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:54 pm Reply with quote
This thread is to keep track of any developments in crowdsourcing retail items

Last edited by Blood- on Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:22 am; edited 18 times in total
nadir-seen-fire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Is there s 2013 thread?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:47 am Reply with quote
Nope. Crowd-sourcing for anime production is a relatively new phenomenon and I don't think it occurred to anyone to track it before now. At least not here in the ANN Retail forum.
hoju22

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:32 am Reply with quote
Kickstarter incoming: via Anime Limited (UK)

Quote:
KICKSTARTER:

- We’ve acquired a rather interesting property and have a Kickstarter that launches in a week or so once approval has cleared – which will run across the US and UK. It’s a title which fell through the cracks for everyone and we’re pretty excited but given the breadth of the territory especially, a Kickstarter makes sense as a rarity.

http://www.alltheanime.com/dates-q1/
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:48 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the head's up, hoju22! I'll definitely add it to the OP once more deets are available.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:55 am Reply with quote
The first anime crowdsourcing attempt of 2014 has been added above.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I figure I'll put this here as well.
There is a Kickstarter campaign for dubbing Wakfu! OMGOMGOMGOMG!

For those of you not familiar with the series, it's a two season, 52 episode (hopefully they will also dub the bonus ep in season 1) action-adventure series that aired in France. It's based on an MMORPG of all things, but no knowledge of it is needed to enjoy it. It did make fansub circuits a while back, the show has completed airing in France. The second season is definitely more serious than the first one, but I really really liked it and need to spread the word! And pledge myself!
Stretch goals include the second season and the bonus stuff, and we definitely need all of that!
For those curious, they've already made the stretch goal to have original French language with English subtitles as an option! Hooray! Also, that bonus ep I mentioned above? It's made by Madhouse.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I was just about to post about the Wakfu Kickstarter myself before Zawa beat me to it.

If you haven't seen or heard of Wakfu before, it is easily the best Flash-animated series ever made (MLP wishes it could look this good). It's also up there with Avatar: TLA as one of the best anime-inspired Western cartoons ever.

Definitely check it out if you haven't already. Very Happy
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the head's up on Wakfu, guys. I don't think I'll add it to the OP simply because it is not an anime project, but I agree it looks like it is worth spreading the word.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Buuuuut, if they make it to $200,000, in addition to getting season 2 dubbed and on Bluray, they will release manga 1 & 2 on Comixology, so maybe it can count :3

Aaaand, if they make it to adding the Nox episode at $150,000, that particular episode was made Madhouse studios. It has the same animators that worked on Kaiba and Kemonozume and Masaaki Yuasa did character designs. In a way, it's about as anime as Oban Star-Racers, when it comes to that particular episode.

If anyone is curious, the Nox episode is actually a prequel and can be watched as its own little thing.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I think I found a way to satisfy your desire to have the entry in the OP and my desire to keep my anime stats pure. Wink
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:20 am Reply with quote
I heard about the Wakfu Kickstarter a lil while back. I've never seen it but it looks cool, so I pledged.

To anyone interested, it doesnt seem they are gonna make the bluray available after the kickstarter, so if ya want the Blu ray, ya better pledge now
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:26 pm Reply with quote
The funding has passed $150,000 and has broken the second stretch goal. They will now be releasing the two special OVA episodes in English dub. Very Happy
gsilver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Wakfu!

I really wanted to see it when it came out, but no one translated it, so I didn't get the chance. I'll follow whatever Masaaki Yuasaa works on to the ends of the earth at this point.

I wish that I knew more about French animation in general. I've liked what I've seen, but I don't really know where to get more info. Heck, I wish I knew more about international animation, period. Stuff like Secret of Kells fell through the cracks... and I was blown away when I finally got a chance to see it.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:32 pm Reply with quote
YES! Wakfu hit its goal and now we'll be getting season 2 and the first two manga on Comixology! But omfg, we're getting Season 2!!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 30