• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-05-04]

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moros

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:12 pm Reply with quote
XVII

Last edited by Moros on Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:48 am; edited 2 times in total
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Dear flake of the week,

Don't read reviews then,if you don't like how certain people felt about your show then don't read it. It's not like you have to read every review that comes on this site I read a fair amount of them just to see what a lot of these shows/manga are about and if there any good. I don't have a lot of time to waste so generally I like to know if anime I am going to be spending good hard cash is worth it and frankly your basically saying to not have an opinion.....if it's not shared by you.

I love anime fans.
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Moros wrote:
Totally agree with Rant. Fans only exacerbate the hostility that originally only a few people mildly felt towards them.
While I do agree that some fans are just out of line with their accusations a lot of the time, it sometimes gets to the point that anytime anyone makes any kind of complaint, they are automatically labeled an otaku elitist who whines too much, and I don't think that's always fair either.

Don't get me wrong. There ARE otaku elitists out there that deserve to be whacked upside the head, I know.
CloakBass

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:26 pm Reply with quote
``````````````

Last edited by CloakBass on Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Moros

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:29 pm Reply with quote
XVII

Steroid

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I don't see how it follows that Belldandy is an unrealistic fantasy while the One Piece or Bleach girls are not. They're all fantastic for their own settings.

Belldandy is a perfect character in the old sense of the word perfect. She's complete, static, inhuman. That fits her background--she is a goddess after all. She's supposed to represent all that is not fickle and human. Such characters make wonderful antagonists, but if used as the protagonist or love interest, the story has to be strong enough to carry them.

I guess what I'm going for is that while Belldandy might be a doormat, AMG is a story that needs a doormat.

And I guess I'm one of the vocal contingent that doesn't like it when subtitles differ from printed works. It punctures the reality. If the ship has Velaciela written on it somewhere, then that's the name of the ship in the continuum of the story. Subtitling it differently is like walking in to a movie theater, flicking on the lights, and saying, "you know, this is all CG, the actor didn't really fall off the building."

On the rant: I don't want the mainstream to accept anime fans or desist from making fun of them. I want the mainstream to fear us. I want them to consider anime fans as they do college professors or scientists or high-culture mavens. I want them to defer to our opinions when their own are inadequate. I want the non-fan to feel humble in the presence of the fan.

And while the ranter's point on properly assigning blame is well taken, that doesn't change the fact that in two of the cases, there were wrongs done to the fan. The Eureka 7 show shouldn't have been cut. The manga shouldn't have been removed from the library. It's OK to have a persecution complex when there actually are forces against you.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:36 pm Reply with quote
The Flake of the Week: Oh...Dear...Lord! I agree with Zac don't leave your house. In fact, stay in bed with the covers over your head. Your covers will be great protection...for the rest of us.

Rant:

Quote:
By a strange twist of fate, I saw this girl again today at the mall looking at the meager manga selection at Suncoast. Again she went on about how the manga section was too small. I told her that the nearby Borders had a huge manga selection, but she insisted that she shouldn't have to go to another store to buy manga.

She needs to stay in bed with the covers over her head as well.

I hope to God that I wasn't that young and extremely stupid.
Moros

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:37 pm Reply with quote
XVII

TakinawaTonfa

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Pretty good rant. It does seem like more and more fans today are getting more of this hyper-agressive-defensive mentality, and think that all companies/networks are out to get them, but thats usually from what I see on the Internet. Thankfully, all of the fans that I've encountered offline are nice, polite, and kind people overall who just really enjoy anime and manga,

SIDE NOTE: The Eureka 7 backlash looks like nothing compared to the shit-fit that many Naruto fans threw when the English episode 80 got the last few minutes cut-off to due a technical error. There were quite a few fans that were quick to jump on the "THEY CENSORED IT!" train.
Moros

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:43 pm Reply with quote
XVII

Last edited by Moros on Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:49 am; edited 2 times in total
Thundercloud

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:52 pm Reply with quote
The kiwi bird is out to get me! OUT I SAY!

Yeah I liked the rant this week. I can't say I agree much with it, but this is because i've never actually met anyone in real life who's an immense anime fan. A few of my friends like the occasional title like Gundam and Death Note, but no "Otakus" as such. Nevertheless, I get where that rant's coming from.

And also, I bet the flake takes great offence at Answerman's answer, despite the fact it's just hilarious. Now imagine what would have happened if he had posted that on somewhere like 4chan? Razz
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:52 pm Reply with quote
I have never really cared about how the opening and closing credits are delt with. I think it makes the best sense though for the dub to have english credits and the sub to keep the Japanese text. I never really thought it was a big deal.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:09 am Reply with quote
Mmmm, kiwi's are delicious; I haven't eaten one in a long time. Oh wait, the picture is of the bird kind.

The rant's one of the best I've read; I'm surprised it didn't win. Your standards must be really high.

Anyway, I agree pretty much with everything. People in general tend to think irrationally and jump to conclusions without thinking things through and actually taking the time to find out what happened. Case in point, the Eureka 7 and Naruto things.

With Naruto it was obviously a technical difficulty; it cuts away to the CN logo, then goes back to where it stopped and then cuts out again. Things like this have happened before; like when I was watching a hockey game earlier this year. Nothing is worse than technical difficulties during gameplay.

Eureka 7 was a little different as it certainly seemed intentional. But the backlash just proves the irrational thinking that goes through people's heads. Accusations that [as] was screwing with the fans flew wild without anyone taking the time to find out what happened in a civil manner. Instead they rushed to their computers and vented. Turns out it was unintentional, perhaps due to a miscommunication when the episode was being prepped for broadcast; and to prove that the accusations were false, [as] is re-airing the episode.

People really need to learn to think things through; and it's not just anime fans, it's everybody.
Eric

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:09 am Reply with quote
What anime is being featured in the banner? It looks familiar, but I can't just can't place it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:10 am Reply with quote
I'm definitely in the club of Ah My Goddess! fans who don't watch the show because I'm in love with and want to marry Belldandy.

And that's because I'm in love with and want to marry Peorth. She's far less passive and more playfully seductive than Belldandy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 14