• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New Compact View for the Front Page

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melicans

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Love the new compact view. Thank you.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:27 pm Reply with quote
I like it too. Still has all the info I want while putting as many articles on screen as possible to reduce scrolling.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I don't like that it removes the images from the columns to the left, so I guess I'll stick with the similar new setup that retains those images and the ones for the stories. All of the other options were dogshit for ease of use. I then guess my ideal layout would be a compact version with compact pictures.
Lumicite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Looks great and is easy to read.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote
It looks pretty good, for those who wanted a more compact view. I'm quite happy with the List View with Images myself but it is always nice to have more options.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I like it, definitely the layout I'll be using from now on (but yeah, I kinda wish it didn't remove the thumbnails for the latest columns/reviews).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Love the new compact design. The best of the new features with the best of the old design. I agree that I might not mind having small pictures on the side column, but hey, this way the site is always 100% safe for work when I open the main page. It loads fast too. Thanks! Smile
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:28 pm Reply with quote
A whole bunch of you have asked for the images back in the side column.

That column will be completely re-done in ANN 5.1. I'll keep in mind the option to separate the mainfeed and side-bar image settings when we do that.

(.1 is essentially the side-bar stuff we wanted to include in 5.0, but decided to defer in order to finish 5.0 sooner).
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I loved the quicknav feature, I set up numerous categories for me to access for references in the future, I set up a feedback thread for the quicknav feature to express their thought.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Haha. I got used to the pictures being on my screen, but as soon as I tried this out, I took a deep breath and thought, "THAT'S more like it..."
This is what I needed, personally, and I'm very happy that the people at ANN truly cared for a vocal minority, even though it had sounded like a few complainers. I can't speak for everyone, but the consideration and work is HIGHLY appreciated. Thank you so much!

A few friends of mine had also stopped visiting the site after the layout change. I'll point them back to the site and have them try it out.
lys

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I'd about got my senses adjusted to the text-only list-view option, but like Juno016, saw this announcement and switched to compact and was very happy with the result. Thanks so much for making it an option for us!! (and even more thanks for considering an option to put images back in just the sidebar at some point in the future :D)
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Prefer this a lot. Thanks.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Tempest! The new Compact View is terrific, and it loads so much faster. It's now a lot easier to see what articles have been posted with a lot less scrolling.

The Quicknav feature, I think, is going to be quite a hit. And it's so easy to use. I've already got the ANN 5.0 Updates - Forum thread as my first bookmark.

My deepest appreciation goes out to ANN for your efforts in taking the user feedback, disseminating the key points, and then implementing changes that will ultimately lead to the betterment of the site. Cheers. Very Happy
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I think I mentioned this in the subscriber forum preview, too, but I'd love the ability to have the main site on list/text-only, but the sidebar to be in compact/with-images. I figure it's probably not an easy thing to code, but just thought I'd throw that out as the ideal thing for me (which, yes, I know, would make it look a lot like 4.0 ^^;)
kakoishii

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:10 am Reply with quote
I've actually gotten used to the list view, and considering the compact view isn't all that much different I don't anticipate changing, but I suppose it's nicer for those her wanted a page that loaded faster and is easier to view at a glance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2