• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Pink GN

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I did enjoy Pink. All of the characters are a bit shallow, but none of them are really unlikable. From reviews I thought Yumi wouldn't be the most sympathetic character, but she's doing what she can to escape a dead-end mediocre life and that's admirable in a way... The poodle scene was really awful though.

Even liked the art, had the loose quality of a New Yorker cartoon.

And ack that ending. At first it was a bit underwhelming. Then the more I thought of it the bleaker the ending got.
Meygaera

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:43 pm Reply with quote
The end was amazing.

"Who cares. Not my problem."
~famous last words
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I liked this better than Helter Skelter. This just somehow felt more raw and visceral, and I got a kind of perverse enjoyment out of her feeding people to Croc. Nonetheless, I'm glad to own both.
katscradle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
some upsetting aspects for more sensitive readers.

Just thought I'd say thank you for recognizing this and being professional enough to think about different audiences. I've read other reviews (and industry ones at that) before this and nobody felt motivated to mention anything in that regard. There is so much content with this manga that could be an issue for potential readers and I've yet to see anyone seriously point any of it out.

Don't get me wrong though, I think Pink certainly is worth praise. It's just now that I know the story behind the cover image, I wish I didn’t. I can’t even look at the book right now without it inducing negative reactions that make me wonder if whoever chose the art for the English edition shares the sadistic, sick sense of humor I also encountered in the manga.

I definitely preferred Helter Skelter.
mnordhoff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Did you find Helter Skelter less disturbing than Pink? For me, Helter Skelter was much more difficult to read. Pink has croc-related violence, bad decisions and poor parenting (and the chapter "Bloody Lovers"), but in HS, Liliko is burned out, teetering on... several different edges, and trying to pull Michiko and Okumura down with her. That was much harder for me.

Pink at least seemed pretty okay on the surface, though it might not if I thought about it more. Maybe that's the key, not thinking about it very much.

Edit: Pink might have a sadistic, sick sense of humor, but Helter Skelter is the story of a sadistic, sick main character.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1