• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Samurai Flamenco Episodes 7-10 Streaming

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animehermit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:43 pm Reply with quote
A lot of people don't seem to like the direction the series took. I love it, of course. It would be really easy for this show to fall into a rut of familiar storytelling and be super-realistic. I like not being able to predict where it's going, it keeps me on my toes and has me wondering what's going to happen next.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:01 pm Reply with quote
The King Torture arc doesn't make sense given the world building of the first six-and-a-bit episodes and the believable characters that inhabited that world. If the arc had been part of a different show and starring different characters then it wouldn't have been so bad. Even so, it still wouldn't have been worthy of an A-. As it is, coming off the back of such a solid opening run of episodes that were notable for their (relative) realism, I wouldn't even give the arc an F.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It can only get bigger, more ridiculous, further removed from its already tenuous hold on reality. It's very, very hard to see it going anywhere but off the rails. Still, as the arc's final images—Flamenco Diamond, battered and tormented, singing raw and driven to a room of speechless idol fans—linger on, we know that we'll ride this train to its last wreck.

This describes my feelings about this show pretty accurately. It took me a couple of episodes to come to terms with the "psychotic break with reality" but now i'm just enjoying the ride (and i'm enjoying it quite a bit).
BinBouGami1234

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Disagree, I think that the King Tortue arc ruined the entire reason I liked this show. I liked this series for it's funny yet semi-realistic take on a superhero, not to watch some dumb kid fight paper mache villians that a pre schooler could have thrown together.
sainta

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Had fun with this arc. The characters keep being the same and Mari is having some development thankfully. I never understood why people say the series lost its realism when the first were incredibly cheesy (the Flamenco Girls' weapons anyone?).

Still, I'm not sure where this show is going.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Yep, this arc is definitely a real dividing line - some hating the new direction, others digging it. I was definitely taken offguard at first and kept expecting that some super-clever explanation was in the offing. When it became clear that there wasn't, I simply went with the flow and have been enjoying it on its own terms ever since. Frankly, the "regular guy trying to be a sorta super hero" had already gotten old for me, anyway. And I have to say, watching dtm42 lose his mind in the anime forum discussion thread over the change has been very entertaining.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm having an absolute blast with this show. Glad to see ANN give it a positive review.
consignia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I think that while the change in direction is jarring, I think there's still there's stuff going on the background which will connect the whole thing thematically. Bits of things like spoiler[From Beyond having their own promo videos] being broadcast on everyone's TVs and some characters hanging on their realistic misgivings on the bizarreness that is happening. I think it's difficult to take anything that's happening at face value at the moment.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I kind of enjoy the ridiculous now, but it is practically an entirely new show because of that shift.
rheiders

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Quote:
It can only get bigger, more ridiculous, further removed from its already tenuous hold on reality. It's very, very hard to see it going anywhere but off the rails. Still, as the arc's final images—Flamenco Diamond, battered and tormented, singing raw and driven to a room of speechless idol fans—linger on, we know that we'll ride this train to its last wreck.

This describes my feelings about this show pretty accurately. It took me a couple of episodes to come to terms with the "psychotic break with reality" but now i'm just enjoying the ride (and i'm enjoying it quite a bit).

I feel the same way. It took me a long time to get used to the lunacy, but even at the point where I was most frustrated with the show...I still loved watching it. I thought the first couple episodes after the King Torture arc finished went down a notch or two in writing quality, but now it's back to being consistently excellent IMO (I haven't watched the newest episode yet btw).

I worry every week it's going to slide completely off the rails and turn genuinely awful, but so far it's unfailingly entertaining.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:46 pm Reply with quote
For what it's worth i actually liked a few aspects of the King Torture arc. Mostly how deep and interesting King Torture was with his speeches.
But the sudden shift in the realm of realism was definitely a turn off to me. If you want to get technical there isn't really ANYTHING original about this show but it is indeed refreshing to see this kind of story, one i haven't seen in a while. A boy who wants to become a hero like the ones he sees on T.V. Slowly climbing up the ranks of popularity, winning the hearts of those he's saved and working along the law to take down criminals. Add to the mix lovable characters like Goto and the Flamen Girls and you've got a great series.

But the show pretty much spits on everything it had established in the episodes prior and just expects everyone to go along with it. It's a really frustrating turn to be honest. I constantly find myself thinking about how awesome this show could have been had it stayed on it's surreal route and how much i would have loved it.

Sadly instead of a loveable adventure with a relateable hero we get a crappy sentai parody (this becomes more prominent later in the series). Tis truly a same.
kikuzinho

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I like samurai flamenco and all (an A-? LOLOL), but someone needs to fire these reviewers. they have been doing a shit job lately
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:01 pm Reply with quote
How to describe my relationship with SF. I can't call it hate watching, I would almost be tempted to call it so bad it's good. The show absolutely has gone off the rails but it's actually fun to see the show basically self implode. I would be very hard pressed to think up an example of when I would recommend this to anyone except maybe zac just because I know he likes really stupid so bad it's good stuff.

The from beyond arc and (the yet another new arc) are even more insane then the previous arcs. that said they are actually a lot funnier I think.

I do wish the series would just pick a tone and stick to it though because I had no clue how to respond to the scene with diamond singing at the end of episode 10, I wanted to laugh but it felt so wrong and meansprited.

Did the writer not tell the director he totally changed his vision for the series and thus we got a serious cut of scenes that are so ridiculous and insane. If I did not know better I would think chiki kon was directing these episodes just due to the juxtaposition of the directing and the writing.

Also I am sorry but how does this show get an A- for story when fate/zero got a D that makes zero sense to me.
corinthian

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm tempted to give the series another try now. I liked the silly but fairly realistic world of the first episodes, loved Flamenco Girl, and was kind of turned off by the abrupt tonal shift. I admit I didn't really pay much attention to the next few episodes though. I'll have to go back, embrace the crazy, and see what I think. From other comments it sounds like its going to keep changing things up.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:21 pm Reply with quote
That's what I love about this show: It's impossible to review chunks at a time, because every new arc flips the script completely. It's just that ridiculous. My biggest complaint so far is the animation. I mean I understand they're being campy, but there's a lot of time where it's just plain awful.

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Did the writer not tell the director he totally changed his vision for the series and thus we got a serious cut of scenes that are so ridiculous and insane. If I did not know better I would think chiki kon was directing these episodes just due to the juxtaposition of the directing and the writing.

Manglobe said before this show even aired that it would be a sci fi action series. Hell just look at the promo posters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4