• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Finding your comments

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:21 pm Reply with quote
I wanted to post this. Before ANN changed you could scroll down to the bottom of the page and find your user name, click on it and it would take you to your profile and you could see how many posts you made and access to all the comments you made. I don't know if anyone else used this method but now that ANN has changed it's a little more difficult to navigate just to find the comments. If you wanted to just see all the comments you made and reply to them without subscribe them.

If anyone knows how to access this or if this is going to added as the site continues to evolved please let me know.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I find the whole forum considerably harder to use since the changes were introduced. I have a bookmark to the "find new posts" URL which does seem to display posts since my last visit correctly. However following the links in those posts will sometimes bring up a page that seems based on my "last visit" time being now rather than the time used to generate the original listing page. As a result I get an erroneous "no new posts since your last visit" message even though looking at the thread involved shows that is not true.

I've tried to get a list of my postings by using the "View Your Posts" item on the main Index page. That stupidly brings up a list of threads in which my posts appeared, not the posts themselves. If that query could be fixed to return posts rather than threads, it might help with Chrno2's problem as well.

One method that does work is to go to the Search page (accessible now only from the Forum entry in the main menu bar). There you can enter your username in the Author box, and click "Posts" at the bottom. That should be the result returned when you click on "View Your Posts" at the top of the main index page, not a list of threads.
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I've tried to get a list of my postings by using the "View Your Posts" item on the main Index page. That stupidly brings up a list of threads in which my posts appeared, not the posts themselves. If that query could be fixed to return posts rather than threads, it might help with Chrno2's problem as well.

I had never tried that link before. Now that I have I agree that it could be improved. Returning the posts rather than the threads would be better.

However, if you go to your profile and click on "Find all posts by [your name here]" you will get a list of your posts.
Even that is is bit misleading because it shows just a smal part of the post, quite often not the part that I wrote, with a link that is just the title of the thread. But if you click that link it does take you to your post, and not to the start of the thread the way that the other list does.

EDIT: This might be a good place to mention that I cannot find a direct link to my profile. To get to it I have to find one of my posts and view my profile from there, as if I was viewing another user's profile.
Am I missing something?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I'll try that. I'm glad that I posted this and glad that some understand what I mean. This was how I navigated only my posts so I could check for replies or reply. The way it used to be is that if you clicked on forum you'd get the list of people who signed on then you could click the name (yours preferably) and you'd get list of things you commented on. I used to be able to find it the other way "view your posts" but that's an issue too.

I hope that ANN will put a feature that will allow you to go back and easily navigate it. Or put a feature in the profile that not only allows you to change data there but check for any messages, or comments. But yes, I've had to bookmark it too.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Touma--

Here's how to create a link to your user profile page:
  1. In the "Forum" pulldown menu there is a "Forum Information" category. Click on the "Search" link in that category.
    1. In the "Forum -- Search" page look for the second field ("Search for Author"). Enter your user name in that field.
    2. In the "Search Options" section click on "Display results as Posts"
    3. Click on the "Search" icon.
  2. In the resulting "Forum -- Search" page click on your user name.
  3. In the resulting "Forum -- Viewing Profile" page click on your user name in the dropdown menu.
    1. Click on the word "Quicknav" on the left hand side of the menu.
    2. On the resulting pop-up menu click on "add current page"
You now have a link in your "settings" menu that goes to your user profile page.
NOTE: I have made these instructions as detailed as possible for the benefit of newbies.
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:09 pm Reply with quote
nbahn, thanks for the information.

I keep forgetting about the Quicknav. Having a link therte is easier than what I have been doing.

I still think that the forum software should have a link to my profile in the navigation bar. At the very least the "Edit your profile" page should have a link to the profile.
Is there really not a link, or am I just not seeing it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Insofar as I can tell, there is no such link.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm... I'll show Dan this page so that he can put those features into the forum menu.

In the meantime, there are two relatively easy ways to find your posts.

1) Click on forum (in the menu), search, and then search for posts by you.

2) click on "profile" beside any of your posts then "find all posts by this user."

Of course, if you want to look up your posts regularly, adding a quicknav link as nbahn suggests is the easiest.

-t
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:08 pm Reply with quote
@nbahn, wow thanks that really helped. Also thanks to Tempest to looking into this as well and maybe you guys can improve on this in the future. Now I can find my posts without having to bookmark. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:00 am Reply with quote
Chrno2--
You're quite welcome -- I try to be helpful when I can.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1