• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buy Blu-ray and/or DVD?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you buy Blu-ray and/or DVD?
I buy only Blu-ray releases
12%
 12%  [ 5 ]
I prefer Blu-ray but also buy what is only available on DVD
52%
 52%  [ 21 ]
I buy only DVD but plan to upgrade to Blu-ray
12%
 12%  [ 5 ]
I buy only DVD releases
12%
 12%  [ 5 ]
Other (please explain in the comments)
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 40

Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I often see in the threads discussions about what is the preferred format to buy, Blu-ray or DVD. This got me curious, and I would like to know what is your preference when buying physical copies of anime.

I chose the second option by the way.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:06 am Reply with quote
I selected "Other."

I usually buy the DVD if both are available. There are two reasons for this.
The first is portability and convenience. I currently have four devices that will play a DVD, and two of them are portable. I have only one device that will play a Blu-ray, and it is not portable. I am not interested in buying new equipment right now because everything is working perfectly.

The second reason is that for most shows the few dollars difference in price between the DVD and Blu-ray is more important to me than the difference in quality. I do make exceptions though.
If I really like a show, a lot, I will buy the Blu-ray because I want the show to look and sound as good as possible.

That is for anime. If I buy a Hollywood movie I usually get the Blu-ray.
That is because the Blu-ray for the movie usually has content that is not on the DVD. Sometimes it has a whole second movie.
If the anime producers ever start giving us extra content on the Blu-rays I will probably buy more of them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:16 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
The second reason is that for most shows the few dollars difference in price between the DVD and Blu-ray is more important to me than the difference in quality. I do make exceptions though. If I really like a show, a lot, I will buy the Blu-ray because I want the show to look and sound as good as possible.

Now that I have caught up with older anime, I mostly buy new (presumably HD native) shows. There are some animes that look amazing and buying them on BD (when available) is a no brainer to me. There are also shows that do not look that great and should probably look good enough on DVD.

But at the end of the day I prefer BD's because I have embraced this technology, more episodes fit in a disc and a $5-10 price difference is not a big deal to me. The only instance where I would choose DVD over BD is if the show did not look that great, and the price difference in disc format were $25 or more.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:26 am Reply with quote
I will buy Blu-ray, but if that title is not avaliable on blu-ray but on DVD, I'll take that.

If the blu-ray have a dub only but no sub but the DVDs has both dub and sub, I'll buy the DVDs since I like watching my anime both dub and sub.

Currently, most of my anime I'm watching are legal stream (aka Hulu, Crunchyroll).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I voted that I prefer BD but will buy DVD releases if it has not been released on BD. there are a few exceptions to this rule. These are releases where BD isn't available in the UK or if there is a very Excessive price difference.
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I tend to buy DVDs because I have nothing to play Blurays on. I do have a few combo packs though. I plan on getting something to play them eventually though, when I'm not a poor student.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:45 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
I tend to buy DVDs because I have nothing to play Blurays on. I do have a few combo packs though. I plan on getting something to play them eventually though, when I'm not a poor student.

PS3's are pretty cheap at the moment. I got my first Bluray player from Argos for £40 and it worked perfectly but upgraded to multi region.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Mostly buy DVDs, though I have some Blu-Ray/ DVD combo sets that have become the norm in recent years for some distributors like NIS America and Funimation. Also, I have some anime on VHS since there are some titles I've dabbled into that have never gotten a DVD or Blu-Ray release.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:46 am Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
st_owly wrote:

PS3's are pretty cheap at the moment. I got my first Bluray player from Argos for £40 and it worked perfectly but upgraded to multi region.

I refuse to buy a PS3 because I don't like Sony's policing of them. I know BR players are cheap, but HDTV's sure ain't, and I don't really see the point of getting a BR player till I can have an HDTV to go with.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:28 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
TsunaReborn! wrote:
st_owly wrote:

I refuse to buy a PS3 because I don't like Sony's policing of them. I know BR players are cheap, but HDTV's sure ain't, and I don't really see the point of getting a BR player till I can have an HDTV to go with.

Ahhh I assumed you had the TV. To be fair the BD themselves aren't exactly cheap ether, though they are much cheaper for us then the US.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I prefer combo packs. Smile
I used to be on the road a fair amount and liked popping a DVD into my laptop. I also like to sometimes crawl into bed with my laptop and watch a quick episode before going to sleep. However, in general I prefer for my weekend viewing to be on an HDTV with a BD. Also some recent releases I've only been able to acquire on DVD--that'd be The Garden of Sinners set from AoA. So I'd say in general my choice would be #2.
austinlawrence

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:52 am Reply with quote
always go for DVD , I tried blu ray a couple of times but the experience is better with dvd

premature ejaculation
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:28 am Reply with quote
I'm ok with Blu-Ray, but I'm satisfied enough with DVD. I only get Blu-Rays for occasional movies.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:45 pm Reply with quote
It depends on the age and look of the show, as well as price. For most of my anime I have dvds, since the tv in my room was made around when i was born (early 90's). I usually buy blu-rays only for newer HD-native shows that also have good animation (like K-on!!, Eden of the East, Redline) or combo packs (ie. Strike Witches 2) For series like Upotte, Girls Und Panzer and Squid Girl, which look nice on blu-ray but don't really have mind blowing animation, dvd is fine. Naturally, price as well ( I'd rather get Funi's Baccano dvd than Aniplex's blu-ray).
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:44 am Reply with quote
I have a PS3, but while I can play games in whatever def I want to, it refuses to play Blurays in anything other than 720 or above. For me, it still makes sense to just get DVDs, but I am getting a few combo packs for things I really like (which is why I found out it refused to play blurays on my standard TV, but I'm think that's all bluray players). In the future, I'll probably upgrade a few things I really really like, like if Outlaw Star and Princess Tutu ever come out on Bluray, I'd buy them again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2