• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sword Art Online/Accel World's Kawahara to Print Absolute Solitude Novels

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Another work huh? Well, I guess this one will have sci-fi themes in it too. I wonder how many volumes he has planned though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Nope. No support for this guy. He's a terrible writer.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely love Accel World.
Sword Art Online is inferior in my opinion, and in HIS opinion as well. He admitted that he wrote that when he was much younger, and that it was very flawed. In one interview he said he was shocked at how much people loved it. Ant to be fair, I don't hate SAO, but I do have its fandom. So a new series by him is a very good thing for me.
BGMaxie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I just hope he does not overextend himself, many authors have died because of overwork. Of course there are some like Hiro Mashima that are known to work faster, but still, it is no easy task even if you have the ability does not mean you should really push it.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully this will be more like Accel World and less like SAO.

Love the first, LOATHE the second. Mad
Mookey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I liked SAO more than Accel World. Probably cause I liked overpowered MC's, so I'm hoping his restarted novel contains a decent MC that is actually not hopeless in the beginning.
partially

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:06 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Sword Art Online is inferior in my opinion, and in HIS opinion as well. He admitted that he wrote that when he was much younger, and that it was very flawed. In one interview he said he was shocked at how much people loved it. Ant to be fair, I don't hate SAO, but I do have its fandom. So a new series by him is a very good thing for me.

Well to be honest I can't really believe that as some of the most recent SAO books are among the worst and most flawed imo. So he can hardly blame it on being younger at the time. I don't think SAO was great, but it had its charm.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:35 pm Reply with quote
three series at once this guy is insane. All two of the series are best sellers too. They are just random LN that nobody buys.
Nemui_Nezumi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:20 pm Reply with quote
personally I'm intrigued about that "new" series, I wonder wich genre it will be this time
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Mookey wrote:
Honestly, I liked SAO more than Accel World. Probably cause I liked overpowered MC's, so I'm hoping his restarted novel contains a decent MC that is actually not hopeless in the beginning.

But Accel World does have an overpowered MC too, it's just she shares the spotlight with a not so OP one.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:29 am Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Mookey wrote:

But Accel World does have an overpowered MC too, it's just she shares the spotlight with a not so OP one.

I think the Accel World's problem is the not so OP MC. Change the MC character to OP and good looking, it would probably be more popular than SAO.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:56 am Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:

I concur.

This guy is a hack. I'm surprised that he can live with the shame of SAO being so widespread as the anime world over knows that he is a mediocre content creator. I can only conclude that he takes pride in being the anime community's topmost "village idiot", pride fostered by the bazillion dollars that he's gotten off of exposing himself as being creatively bankrupt, and that this pride overpowers his intense, burning shame. Obviously many liked the trite wish-fulfillment fantasy of the show but I hesitate to believe that even the most besotted fans of SAO would argue in earnest that it was a solid, well-constructed work for the ages.

I tried Accel World. It was better, but still far from good or even decent. Just, as has been effectively said here, a different shade of SAO.
FLAZE35

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:37 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

I concur.

I tried Accel World. It was better, but still far from good or even decent. Just, as has been effectively said here, a different shade of SAO.

I'm so glad to see some people here who share my opinion. It feels like more than half the people I talk to regarding SAO consider the show "amazing" (some even call it a masterpiece), and that "only the second half was bad."
TUSF

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:12 am Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to it (is anyone even translating this though?)
I enjoyed SAO, and I enjoyed the Accel World anime (haven't gotten around to the Light Novels for Accel World, because the translations are behind last I checked.)

Echo_City wrote:
This guy is a hack. I'm surprised that he can live with the shame of SAO being so widespread as the anime world over knows that he is a mediocre content creator.

Shame for being the top selling light novel author of 2012 and 2013?

DmonHiro wrote:

When did he say SAO was inferior exactly?
That being said, everything kinda points to him preferring SAO, given how much extra content he creates for SAO, in relation to AW. I won't argue over which one is better or what-not, but I'm sure he was much more experienced when he wrote Accel World, seeing as he wrote SAO back in 2002, when he had no experience in writing.
Personally, I know SAO isn't perfect. No where near perfect. But I enjoy it.

Additionally, Absolute Solitude isn't all that new, considering he wrote it back in 2004 (it's still up on his site). Of course, he'll be making a lot of changes, but he did the same thing to SAO, and overall, the progression was still the same.
Basically, I'm saying if you disliked SAO, don't expect to much from something he wrote around the same time.
Kreion

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:20 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

I concur.

This guy is a hack. I'm surprised that he can live with the shame of SAO being so widespread as the anime world over knows that he is a mediocre content creator. I can only conclude that he takes pride in being the anime community's topmost "village idiot", pride fostered by the bazillion dollars that he's gotten off of exposing himself as being creatively bankrupt, and that this pride overpowers his intense, burning shame. Obviously many liked the trite wish-fulfillment fantasy of the show but I hesitate to believe that even the most besotted fans of SAO would argue in earnest that it was a solid, well-constructed work for the ages.

Righto, let's deal with the flood of SAO hate from people who must clearly be masochists for how much they go on about a series which they don't enjoy -.-

SAO is not amazing, but it is also not that bad. It's a slightly above average series with a good anime adaptation (for the most part) but that's about it. Should it be as popular as it is? Probably not. Are there shows more deserving of being watched? Certainly.

But here's the thing - this is nothing new at all. A good/okay shounen always has the capacity to take off if that's what people decide they like. What right does that give you to sit there and insult someone who is just creating what he wants to create? I call bullshit that you wouldn't keep writing if people enjoyed your work, even if you knew that it wasn't the best stuff out there by far.

Simply put, people like you who cannot stand other people enjoying something which is not the most creative thing ever are no better than the blind-SAO fans who thing it IS the best thing ever. OR the SNK fans who think the same thing or and fans of any series who ignore the problems with the series. You just ignore any redeeming features or accept that people might not share your tastes.

If this book does well, then it does well. If not, then I'm sure you'll sneer and write another post about how bad the author is.

Until that point if you could refrain making baseless judgement on the author, that'd be just dandy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3