• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Dropping the Ball on Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Cool article. I HATE it when that happens to a series I like. I was one of the many people who waited years for Sailor Moon Stars.

Viz Media and 4Kids were some of the biggest offenders, though.

Viz Media only released like a quarter of Prince of Tennis and MAR on DVD, and they never finished Hikaru no Go's DVD run, despite the whole series (except maybe the TV special) being dubbed.

They also never finished releasing Blue Dragon on DVD, and they really screwed over Mega Man fans: They only dubbed the first two out of five seasons for Mega Man NT Warrior (and only the first season got a DVD release), and they dubbed only half of the first season for Mega Man Star Force (with no DVD release).

Don't forget Zatch Bell!

With 4Kids...where do I start? Yu-Gi-Oh! GX? Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's? Tokyo Mew Mew? Tai Chi Chasers? Magical DoReMi?
Splitter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Another great article Very Happy

I remember when 4Kids teamed up with FUNimation to release unedited versions of their shows (Yu-Gi-Oh! and Shaman King, I think, but I could be wrong) and I think they only got like two volumes into both before they called it quits. Sad because 4Kids had the rights to some wonderful shows that I would love to have on my shelf. Especially the entirety of Ojamajo Doremi, which I doubt will ever be licensed again, unless Nozomi is feeling awfully generous.

The one biggest glaring exemption from this list though would be the fallout of Geneon. ADV's breakup with Sojitz was detailed but the fallout of Geneon put a ton of series at risk of never being released entirely. While a good number of the shows like Rozen Maiden did get completely released with FUNi managing release and boxing most of the unreleased material into full sets, the second season of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni remains unlicensed to this day with little hope of it happening. This is especially noteworthy because the second season is where all the crazy, screwed-up events of the first season are finally explained and resolved.

Last edited by Splitter on Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:22 pm Reply with quote
As the only person I know who really likes Rumbling Hearts (aka Kimi ga Nozomu Eien), I'm disappointed but not really surprised that the 4-episode OVA sequel ~next season~ never got picked up here. Maybe it was inevitable: Funimation handled the show back in 2006, while it would be more up Sentai's alley today, and there are surely different legal entanglements, as the sequel was done by Brain's Base, and the original was done by… well whoever it was, let's just say they're nowhere in the same league as Brain's Base.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Very interesting article indeed, thanks for writing this up!!! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:49 pm Reply with quote
nice article and enlightening in some points, but I just gotta say this King of the Braves GaoGaiGar even though the dub was crap (and half finished by 4kids VA talents), video quality was spotty there were plenty of fans of the series, hell there's an entire group on deviant art devoted to the brave saga anime's and most of them are fans of gaogaigar. Although it's a good action anime if it isn't gundam mecha anime gets Zero respect or love good examples of this are the repeated jokes about Aquarion and the sequel series Aquarion Evol or how other mecha animes get crap ratings right off the bat. another thing that didn't help gaogaigar was the seventy dollar price tag per box set along with the falsely advertised dubbed second half the low sales aren't that surprising. I've talked with other fans and many of them wished that the Dub was redone and the ova GaoGaiGar final was released state side but unfortunately it doesn't look like any of the big companies are willing to touch it regardless of the soul of chogokin re release of gaogaigar in june
Banjo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Kodocha second half is not worth watching, but I still wanted it in my collection anyways. Twisted Evil
jhaugsne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Another great article Very Happy

...the second season of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni remains unlicensed to this day with little hope of it happening. This is especially noteworthy because the second season is where all the crazy, screwed-up events of the first season are finally explained and resolved.

This is the one that really irked me.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Frustrated Conan fan. At this point I'd take streaming on a place like Crunchyroll. I had hopped we were going that way when Funimation put up the existing episodes they hand on their stream site but as it's at top 5 rated anime week after week it can't be cheep.

I think that at this point the movies are hit and miss but there's some good ones in there I'd totally buy on dvd.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:10 pm Reply with quote
good article!

I always felt like collecting Corrector Yui now that I'm older with money (when it came out I was a middle school student so I missed the boat on that one) but haven't because they dropped it. It seems to have some loyal Latin american fans because of the Cartoon Network's tests you mentioned, so I guess it can't be all bad?

But the one that I'm still kinda bitter about is Sgt. Frog. Funimation just dropped it mid-season 2 (Called it "Season 3") when the finale of season two is the fan-favorite "Garuru Platoon arc".
I wasn't expecting DVD sales to ride Funimation through all 358 episodes, but the Garuru arc was all I really wanted. *sigh*
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote
FUNimation and Nelvana teamed up to put Beyblade G Revolution out on DVD, and the last two singles they put out before cancelling it had subtitled episodes. Six episodes of a children's anime specifically made to sell toys got official subtitles and were released on DVD in North America. in 2005. Pokémon doesn't get that. Digimon doesn't get that on home video. I'm almost certain Yu-Gi-Oh! didn't get a large amount of that. It never finished, but holy smackers. Much respect for Discotek and what they're doing with Monster Farm.

Of course, there is also the second series, Beyblade 2002, which aired on TV and that was it.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm still bitter over Monster, and will probably never get over it. I've been pondering importing Siren's release, but first I need a region free player.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm still bitter about Sailor Moon Stars.
Lupin the Third

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Great article as usual, Mike. But no mention of Lupin the Third Part II? /biased
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
While a good number of the shows like Rozen Maiden did get completely released with FUNi managing release and boxing most of the unreleased material into full sets, the second season of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni remains unlicensed to this day with little hope of it happening. This is especially noteworthy because the second season is where all the crazy, screwed-up events of the first season are finally explained and resolved.

The series is currently licensed by Australian distributor Siren Visual. It's pretty expensive, especially for a non-current series, but it's not unlicensed.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Minor correction Mike: Case Closed ran on Adult Swim in the US, not Cartoon Network, so all of the murder was intact. Only changes made were in regards to character names and branding, and I'm pretty sure that TMS had more to do with that decision than FUNimation. After all, they were apparently the ones who requested that the Lupin III second series dub be "punched up" with modern pop culture references and under go a very glaring, ugly logo change which lingers with us to this day on Discotek releases.

Saban was apparently interested in producing an edited version of Detective Conan for Fox Kids back in the day, but I don't think it materialized in any form. It would be funny if someone tried to push it as a kids property now. At this point, there are probably enough of the odd "non-murder" episodes to construct a decent-sized series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9