• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Thermae Romae II Film's Full Trailer Posted

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:53 am Reply with quote
So, just like I was afraid they would, it looks like they're completely ignoring the ending of the first movie so that they make a cash-in sequel. *sigh* I liked the ending of the first movie! I was hoping they'd have him travel to a different period of Roman history so that it wouldn't conflict with the original, but nope! same characters.
vallum

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:41 pm Reply with quote
But why would he travel to a different period in Roman history? It wouldn't make sense. It's the period he's living, after all...
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:34 pm Reply with quote
vallum wrote:
But why would he travel to a different period in Roman history? It wouldn't make sense. It's the period he's living, after all...

Have you seen the first movie? It ends spoiler[with him permanently staying in present-day Japan and reports that he disappeared from historical records. It also reports on what happened to Emperor Hadrian and his heirs and basically wraps things up for everyone.] The way I see it, they have three options: (1) ditch the time travel entirely (terrible idea), (2) completely ignore that ending (which seems to be what they're going with, ugh), or (3) keep the time travel but send him to a different period so as not to contradict the whole spoiler[he disappeared thing. If he continued existing in the past, that screws up the original's ending, which I liked.]
KendoGirl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:39 am Reply with quote
I hope it's as entertaining as the first and the anime series, I really enjoyed the original outing so in that mind I'm pleased to see more of it, but am a bit worried that it won't be as good...
Anti_Nadalista

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:25 am Reply with quote
Abe is in a fantastic shape. He was the perfect actor to play Hiko Seijuro.
vallum

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:18 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
vallum wrote:

Have you seen the first movie? It ends spoiler[with him permanently staying in present-day Japan and reports that he disappeared from historical records. It also reports on what happened to Emperor Hadrian and his heirs and basically wraps things up for everyone.] The way I see it, they have three options: (1) ditch the time travel entirely (terrible idea), (2) completely ignore that ending (which seems to be what they're going with, ugh), or (3) keep the time travel but send him to a different period so as not to contradict the whole spoiler[he disappeared thing. If he continued existing in the past, that screws up the original's ending, which I liked.]

Yes, some time ago, so I didn't really remembered how it ended.
Watched the ending again today. You can't really be sure he spoiler[stayed in Japan. He just showed up there in the ending (it can even be used as the beggining of the sequel, who knows?), and after that, in the last scene, he's in Rome again. The fact that he disappeared from historical records leave some room for debate, though. ]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1