• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Neon Alley to Offer Free On-Demand Streaming Starting in April

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:13 pm Reply with quote
So, Viz finally realized that a (mostly) liner channel is an antiquated model in this day and age. I will not congratulate Viz for this move because the service should have been like this from the start.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:20 pm Reply with quote
^I agree.

Second, does Hulu plus still have advertisements? I dont believe in paying for a video service littered with ads of products I will never buy.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:30 pm Reply with quote
been happy with NA since day 1. glad to see they can expand to this. though, the on-demand availability will still vary from show to show
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:37 pm Reply with quote
While I'm happy to see them moving away from their previous format, I'm not so excited about the partnership with Hulu. I don't mind some Ads, but I try to avoid Hulu as much as possible because they've gotten ridiculous with the quantity of ads. I was watching the anime movie Fuse last weekend and I stopped counting after 25 ads. It just killed the flow of the movie and the overall experience for me. I might as well be watching regular tv.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Kinda have mixed emotions on this. On one hand, Im happy to see them expand, which is cool for them. But I've been using Neon alley on my PS3, and that app wont be used anymore.

I dont have Hulu Plus, so I'll basically stop paying for one service only to pay for another. On one hand, making it free doesnt mean much for me if Im paying for something else. On the other, one of the reasons I did get hulu plus is because of all the other monthly services I've already been paying, so I will gain a new app with nothing else really changing.

I guess I'll have to wait for April 1st to see I really feel about all this
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
^I agree.

Second, does Hulu plus still have advertisements? I don't believe in paying for a video service littered with ads of products I will never buy.

It does, which is unfortunate.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:49 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
While I'm happy to see them moving away from their previous format, I'm not so excited about the partnership with Hulu. I don't mind some Ads, but I try to avoid Hulu as much as possible because they've gotten ridiculous with the quantity of ads. I was watching the anime movie Fuse last weekend and I stopped counting after 25 ads. It just killed the flow of the movie and the overall experience for me. I might as well be watching regular tv.
Are you kidding me? The last time I watched a film around that length on Hulu (regular) there was only 5 ads. This was about a year after Hulu plus came out I believe. That's insane. I remember watching FMA:Brotherhood on there with 1 ad per episode and then December 2012 I watched X'amd and there was 3 ads per episode. I was really hoping + would resolve that issue. It's depressing that we live in a world where everything revolves around advertising, even if we pay for it otherwise. They make no money off me with ads. Their ads for me are almost always LUXURY CARS that I will never be able to afford, or Axe Bodyspray which I can't stand the smell of lol.
glitteringloke

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote
there are at least 6 ads per episode of anime on hulu+

not to mention, it dropped support for the remote on the ps3, so you're forced to use a controller. those two things are why i stopped using hulu. at least my roku has the funimation app so i really don't need it.
ShinRPGamer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Well seeing as I'm from Canada and we don't have Hulu I'm wondering what Viz is going to use as streaming for Canada. Crackle maybe?
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Ads on Hulu+ are kinda inconsistent. In December I was getting 3 or 4 ads per break, in January I was getting only one ad per break, and now I've been getting two per, but they're usually no more than 30 seconds at a time. I've also been getting a lot more of those ad-free trivia options lately, I didn't get any in December.

I tried using Neon Ally for a little while but I wasn't happy with it at all. Most of their shows were well into their run when I started with no way to start over. In the three months I ha it all I watched was the Tiger and Bunny movie and a Naruto movie. Real waste.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Are you kidding me? The last time I watched a film around that length on Hulu (regular) there was only 5 ads. This was about a year after Hulu plus came out I believe.

I liked the movie enough that I'll pick it up when NISA releases it, but no I'm not kidding about the ads and it seriously ticked me off. I haven't watched a full length movie on hulu for a couple of years, so I don't know if this was an aberration for movies or what. However, they've increased ads overall. There used to be about 3-4 ads on a regular 22minute anime episode which was to me reasonable. The last time I checked I was sometimes getting up to 8 ads, so I'm not sure if its something across the board or if its due to an agreement with the content creator or provider or whatever. Like I said I try to stay away from Hulu as much as possible nowadays. I didn't really care for their privacy policy at the time either, which was you have no privacy. Fortunately, I have enough of a backlog of anime that I don't need to venture onto hulu very often.
barrelroller

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:24 pm Reply with quote
As previously mentioned, the whole Neon Alley channel idea was a bad one from the start. I'd honestly would love to know on how many subscribers Viz actually had. On top of that, you would be paying for something that you may not get the chance to see which I felt kind of sucked for the subscribers. It's not like the internet has DVR with the obvious exception pirating or illegal streaming rips.

Unless they make their own dubs exclusive to the service, it could keep a few viewers into it as I know dubs are always desired by many viewers. Other than that, Crunchyroll and Hulu will probably be the only things that people keep on using for free (& legal) streams.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Couple of things from Neon Alley's twitter:

• Third-party content is still "TBD".

• Shows in sub will be up in their entirety, while shows in dub, depending on the title, will only have a certain number of episodes up at a time, similar to how their Catch-Up service is now.

What this potentially means is that they could very possibly lose the Aniplex dubs, or possibly lock them only for Hulu Plus members.

Which, needless to say, would really suck. Mad
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:31 pm Reply with quote
So I'm guessing this means no more movie premieres?
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:52 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
So I'm guessing this means no more movie premieres?

They didn't say anything about premieres, but they will still have movies:

https://twitter.com/neonalley/status/433342473721503744
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4