• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: BlazBlue Universe's XBlaze Code: Embryo Visual Novel Heads to N. America

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nuuzen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Haven't even heard about this until now. Might be curious enough to get it.
Sasukeuzi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I ain't mad, but still. Really wanting F/SN Realta Nua and Fate/Extra CCC. Well not like localizing a PSP game will benefit them these days.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:29 pm Reply with quote
So that blonde chick supposed to be one of the Nox Nyctores or something?
Alexander55

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how its going to sell? Since its a visual novel, its already significantly disadvantaged in the game market because its not a game to begin with and lacks interactivity. Most gamers want interactive experience in their games. Even if it were to have a good story(although I'd don't imagine it for a VN that's based on a fighting game), its still going to have a hard time to compete.

Most visual novels that sell here are mostly full-fledge eroge or better yet known as nukige. Nukige are visual novels with mostly hentai sequences and very little character dialogue. They are mostly fap material to put it in the simplest way.

Visual novels with full fledged stories and character dialogues don't generally sell well. Mangagamer has shown this already. They used to focus on quality VNs. Now they mostly license nukige because thats want their customers mostly want. Higurashi/Shuffle! were an exception to the rule, as it particularly sold well because of the Anime ties they had.

Now its up to Jlist/Jast USA and Peter Payne to define the visual novel series with the Steins Gate visual novel they are bringing, and its ironic because most of his games he has sold in the past were mostly nukige. It looks like Peter Payne and MangaGamer switched places.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Alexander55 wrote:
I wonder how its going to sell? Since its a visual novel, its already significantly disadvantaged in the game market because its not a game to begin with and lacks interactivity. Most gamers want interactive experience in their games. Even if it were to have a good story(although I'd don't imagine it for a VN that's based on a fighting game), its still going to have a hard time to compete.

Most visual novels that sell here are mostly full-fledge eroge or better yet known as nukige. Nukige are visual novels with mostly hentai sequences and very little character dialogue. They are mostly fap material to put it in the simplest way.

Visual novels with full fledged stories and character dialogues don't generally sell well. Mangagamer has shown this already. They used to focus on quality VNs. Now they mostly license nukige because thats want their customers mostly want. Higurashi/Shuffle! were an exception to the rule, as it particularly sold well because of the Anime ties they had.

Now its up to Jlist/Jast USA and Peter Payne to define the visual novel series with the Steins Gate visual novel they are bringing, and its ironic because most of his games he has sold in the past were mostly nukige. It looks like Peter Payne and MangaGamer switched places.

Pretty sure both 999 and VLR both sold well.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:59 am Reply with quote
But will the story actually make sense? Because despite my best efforts I can't for the life of me make sense of what the fudgicle is happening in Chrono Trigger and Continuum Shift.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:19 am Reply with quote
Cool, will probably buy this.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:47 am Reply with quote
[quote="razisgosu"][quote="Alexander55"]I wonder how its going to sell? Since its a visual novel, its already significantly disadvantaged in the game market because its not a game to begin with and lacks interactivity. Most gamers want interactive experience in their games. Even if it were to have a good story(although I'd don't imagine it for a VN that's based on a fighting game), its still going to have a hard time to compete.

Now its up to Jlist/Jast USA and Peter Payne to define the visual novel series with the Steins Gate visual novel they are bringing, and its ironic because most of his games he has sold in the past were mostly nukige. It looks like Peter Payne and MangaGamer switched places.[/quote]

Pretty sure both 999 and VLR both sold well.[/quote]

999 and VLR have gameplay elements to them.
This doesn't not, not completely anyways what will probably turn most people on is that the sprites aren't static and actually so it's sorta like watching anime in a way and the neat system that let's you change the games flow kinda like steins gate if you've ever played .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1