• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Legend of the Galactic Heroes Novels Get New Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jymmy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:42 am Reply with quote
Well, this should be interesting. I wonder what format it'll be.
Veniamin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:45 am Reply with quote
We are living in a glorious moment.
Ginsan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:46 am Reply with quote
Now that was a huge surprise.
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:49 am Reply with quote
Is this the project that will finally get me to access this franchise that I hear a lot of things about?
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:58 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure how I'm supposed to interpret the description of what this is (not a remake, simply a new adaptation based on the books): is this another side story, or are those comments their way of saying they're taking another crack at the LoGH novels in a completely independent and new fashion?

Either way, the 110-episode LoGH OVA is my personal #1 anime, so I'm all for anything more coming along. Great story with a lot to say, and a rare case of a show including such a high volume of characters and actually making their inclusion worthwhile.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:59 am Reply with quote
I have not seen any of the original LotGH anime, but you can hardly be an anime fan for any length of time without being at least aware of this legendary title. So I welcome the news its getting a new shot of some description.

I'll definitely be keeping my eyes peeled for more specifics on this project.
gedata

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:04 am Reply with quote
time to actually watch the OVAs I guess. I want to get legitimately excited for this.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:04 am Reply with quote
I wish this new project was a remake, but it still interests me nevertheless. Certainly caught me by surprise.
thewizardninja

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:10 am Reply with quote
So it's an adaption of the novels but NOT a remake? Does that mean there are novels that didn't get adapted in the original series? Were there more side-stories? Or are they trying to say that they're going to attempt to adapt the entire novel series again from scratch as if the first anime never existed? I think further clarification is needed here.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:16 am Reply with quote
Wow! Surprise indeed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
VivaLaBus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:18 am Reply with quote
Hopefully it's gonna stay long, but without many mediocre episodes/characters this time around. ( You know, like that perfect Naoki Urasawa anime called Monster )
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:21 am Reply with quote
VivaLaBus wrote:
Hopefully it's gonna stay long, but without many mediocre episodes/characters this time around. ( You know, like that perfect Naoki Urasawa anime called Monster )

Monster's meant to be read. Smile

Cautiously optimistic about this one, the new Patlabor, and the new (yeah, I know) Appleseed.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:22 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately there little information about this project, so, this is just speculation on my part. I think that it would be a good idea if this new anime was a remake that adapted all the long, original OVA into 39-52 television episodes.

A shorter version should be more enticing to people (like me) who have never seen the original anime because it is kind of long. And who knows, R1 companies might be more interested in licensing a shorter version of Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:26 am Reply with quote
thewizardninja wrote:
So it's an adaption of the novels but NOT a remake? Does that mean there are novels that didn't get adapted in the original series? Were there more side-stories? Or are they trying to say that they're going to attempt to adapt the entire novel series again from scratch as if the first anime never existed? I think further clarification is needed here.

it means that the original anime production was one adaptation of the novels, and this is a distinct adaption starting with the novels, that is not necessarily making the same choices in adapting the work.

Like someone who has seen the mini-series production of Les Miserables with Gerard Depardieu and John Malkovich and has seen the movie adaptation of the West End musical adaptation with Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe would recognize the same basic story, but also get two distinctive treatments of that story.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:35 am Reply with quote
I'm a 'new' anime fan so I've never heard of this series before. But it looks pretty interesting so bring it on! Hope it's a TV anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5