• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Friendship is Magi

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:35 am Reply with quote
I am absolutely loving Yowamushi Pedal. It's good to know other people are enjoying it, too.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:32 am Reply with quote
I also like yowapeda a lot; it was fu discovering ( just today) that it's mangaka is wataru watanabe, for 15 years ago I bought a hentai manga whose author is watarau watanabe... weird.
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:44 am Reply with quote
Thanks to Bamboo for reminding me that the sink in my bathroom has been on the edge of overflowing for months now. I really need to get that checked out.
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:19 pm Reply with quote
You know, I haven't seen a single negative comment about Yowamushi Pedal anywhere. I'm not a sports fan in general, but I'll check it out anyway.
Nayu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to own Magi, but I'm never buying another dvd only release. If it was on BD, I'd buy.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I've been enjoying Yowamushi Pedal as well! Admittedly, it can get a little cheesy, but it's fun and we're slowly but surely learning about its entire cast. (Side note: I love the after credits segments!)

I'm glad they spend time training, too. A major reason I like sports anime is to watch the relationships between characters strengthen over the course of their sports anime career. Training is best for that; you can only jam so much character development into a single game. One of the issues I had with Kuroko's Basketball, at least during the first season, was that it really liked to get into games without any of the team building. Now they've fleshed out the supporting cast somewhat, but I don't even know the other first years' names.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:03 pm Reply with quote
If you don't mind, Bamboo, could you tell me what you thought of the Magi DVD's video and audio quality?

I ask this because because Chris Beveridge mentioned that the audio bitrate was incredible low - down to 160kbps, actually.

And the last few Aniplex DVDs I watched have had really awful video.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:42 pm Reply with quote
They say the second season of Haganai picks up a lot better than the first. With more character development and whatnot. I did like the first season though, particularly Alexis Tipton's English hilarious voice dub; really knocked it out of the park.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Weird I have the exact opposite view of Haganai, I like it the best when it's not taking itself seriously. To me the best episode is probably the one where they all play a Harem game together and keep rejecting the main female character and end up super angry with her. The weakest to me where when they tried to develop the character like the water park episode or the later one where they explain some of the plot.

I thought the second season was absolutely awful thought, first problem is they cranked the fan service to eleven, the first season had some fan service but there was always a joke accompanying it, but S2 most of the fan service is just for fan service sake, to the point where it's taking lots of time away from the joke. I mean there's the part where a female character is masturbating to the picture of another female character…and that's it, there's no point to that scene, it's just like "HAHAHAHAHAHA a woman masturbating thinking of another woman, joke of the year right guys?". Plus the show pretty much retcon a huge part of a character (you could even say that it's this character defining feature) and they pretty much just do it for the sake of fan service and selling more figurine or something, there's no story element tied to it.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
So Bamboo, how would you say the English dub is for Magi?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Jesus, Bamboo, that must have sucked with your sink. My house lit on fire a few weeks ago and the installed sprinklers caused intense water damage to everything in the kitchen (it was a kitchen fire) I can sympathize with that. My condolences.
normajean19

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Haganai definitely was a show that tried to do too many things and ended up not really succeeding at anything, except for perhaps the fujoshi girl (Alexis Tipton was hilarious in the dub).

The revelation between Kodaka and Yozora towards the end just fell flat and seemed to be put in there just for an end of the season emotional climax. I was hoping it wouldn't end up with all the problems harems usually have, but that's what happened. Needless to say I have no intention of watching season two.

I haven't seen Magi or Yowapedal, but the reviews made them seem pretty good. I would have liked to know more about Magi's dub, though.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I really like Haganai, but I'm not surprised it got rental. Still the dub is great (except for Maria's voice). Will definitely buy season 2 when its released here. Now they better make a season 3 (that ending begs for continuation). Have no interest in Magi or Yomawushi, but I am guessing from the review that Magi isn't a super kid friendly show. How about Yomawushi?
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I thought Haganai was great, and while I had been putting off buying it, I just ordered the LE edition (along with another NISA set Very Happy), and I can't wait to rewatch it Smile!

Haven't watched Yowamushi Pedal, as there's not a whole lot of sport anime that can get me going, being a person who is very physically active and will look at things realistically, it's hard to find a sports anime to please me Laughing.

I have yet to see Magi, and I thought I would pick it up, but i'm still waiting for Aniplex to make BD release of it. If they don't that's fine, i'm not too excited about the show, as it doesn't seem like it'll be my kind of thing.

@Spacemanhardy

Protip: Any Aniplex release that does not have a BD release will have great looking DVDs, and any Aniplex that does have a BD release will have pretty crappy looking DVDs (most likely). They're still just DVDs though, so if you don't want a title really badly, you're better of waiting for a possible BD release. And I say possible because it's likely they'll do one if the DVDs generate enough $$$.

As for the low audio bitrate i've only heard it being on the english dub tracks. The original audio tracks are always top notch quality.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like youre taking Haganai too seriously. If you understand dating sims/visual novels and Monster Hunter at all, you would've loved those episodes and those jokes. There was slow moments that were a bit tired yes, but overall the show was one of the better comedies of the last half decade.

SEeing Pedal listed for 30+ episodes pushes me away from it. But even more than that, the fact that over 90% of professional bikers have been proven to have done some type of "doping" or drugs, kills the entire sport for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3