• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Hearts On Fire

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marvel knight

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:17 pm Reply with quote
In the US , that poses a valid question , in the Middle East , specifically Dubai where i live , not so much.

In this part of the world ;
1) there is 0 anime support.
2)No channel has even 1 anime show , and Cartoon Network doesn't have a Toonami.
3)We don't have access to Hulu or Netflix.
4)No stores carry anime products.
5)Cruchyroll's shows in this region are small and have streaming problems.
6) Itunes also doesn't carry anime products unless you are using a proxy account.
7) No children's shows except for Pokemon and Beyblade get licensed, like Detective Conan , the Jewelpet series , the Level-5 shows.

The only partially reliable service is Daisuki , and their shows are limited.

These are just some of the reasons we're forced to use these sites. At least i try my best to actually pay for stuff every now and then from Rightstuf , but that's only me.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Just wanted to say that as soon as I read the byline for this week's Answerman, I immediately had a desire to watch Rocky IV. Thanks a lot Justin!
Fligar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:46 pm Reply with quote
I'll admit, I am guilty of using illegal streams to watch anime. My reason? Mainly to check out the anime to see if its worth watching or not. Normally I only use these websites to see the first 2-3 episodes of an anime I'm interested. Of course this is my LAST RESORT when I can't find the anime to view for free, or a streaming service I'm already subscribed to. Not going to spend extra money just to subscribe to a service just to watch one show. Anyway, I do support the official releases of anime when I find those that I like. I would love to say that I stopped using these services, but sadly that's not the case. Although I have found myself using these websites a lot less since recently companies have been putting up the first few episodes on their websites to view for free, with ads of course. Ads don't bother me, but when I need to pay extra just to watch something I may or may not like...then that's when I have to turn into the dark side once in a while.
SthRandom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'd certainly love to get a subscription at Crunchyroll and alike, but 90% of its content is blocked for my country. So people like me are often forced to reach the illegal means in order to watch anime. I'm glad I at least found a site to order manga from without any shipping fee, elsewhere the shipping costs are greater than the price of the item itself.

However, the people who think they are entitled to watch the anime or read manga for free (and illegally) are just wrong.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I stopped the illegal streaming* a while back the quality was just too horrible. If you are going to be bad and watch something unlicensed online, you might as well download it.

*changed from "viewing"

Last edited by luffypirate on Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
My main gripe with legal streaming here in the UK is that the few UK-centric streaming sites don't tend to get Funi etc shows (which are always unavailable here), instead, they cannibalise things which CR has in the US. I'm paying for a CR subscription. I don't want to have to use an inferior service (Animax) to watch Nisekoi and Magi legally here, when people in the US who pay the same amount of money for their CR subs get more shows for that money.
(Animax is inferior because new episodes only stay free for 2 weeks after they're uploaded, (you have to pay to access their back catalogue) and there's not set schedule for things going up. They just seem to upload them whenever they remember.)
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm still a crusty old git what watches his anime on the 625 PAL CRT with a DVD player, so I'm not bothered about streaming, besides just because crustyscones hauled down the Jolly Roger and hoisted the company ensign with a bit of spit and polish to the deck and fittings doesn't mean a thing to me as they still smell like pirates and always will. Wink
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but Crunchyroll started out as one of those pirate sites. In fact, they were charging money.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but Crunchyroll started out as one of those pirate sites. In fact, they were charging money.

Were, exactly, but they are still charging anyways (legally though now for subs and the like.)
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:30 pm Reply with quote
As someone who just recently entered the wonderful world of importing boxsets, I think I can weigh in on an alternative lifestyle. Lately I find that I am literally overwhelmed as I try to keep up western releases and unlicensed series sets. I am also perpetually broke and subsisting on a meager diet of raw veggies and soup. I have not bought new clothes in a year. I work every weekend and stay late on holidays. I do not go out to movies, bars, or concerts. Right now, I am using dish soap as laundry detergent because it is cheaper and less of a hit on my budget this week. Of course, this slightly embarassing omission surely does not excuse or justify my life as a struggle. I really do not compare to struggles others around the world may face in terms of life, liberty, or happiness. But lucky for me, my life is also my choice. I love anime so much, and it makes me happy beyond words to collect it. And I will continue to legally buy it to support the creators who make it. So...yeah. I think in a perfect world we could all have immediate and unrestricted access to the things we love. But when has the world ever been perfect? And besides, isn't it the struggles that give life the depth, spirit, and experiences we all crave? Not a philosopher, but quite happy here with both the journey and the destination.

Last edited by Usagi-kun on Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:36 pm Reply with quote
On the streaming topic, I download fansubs regularly, but I'd never stream them. If you're going to pirate, why not go for the best?

Quote:
When you go back and study the classics of anime from the 60s and 70s, it really is amazing just how much of what we have today is rooted in what came during those decades. The bondage references are no different.

I feel the major differences in ecchi anime of the past and of today is how better at exaggerated erotic anatomy the artists have become in modern times. Big breasts were just kind of weird hemispheres with tiny no-detailed nipples, whereas things like gravity and volume are considered as well as further intricacies. Like Lum was supposed to be huge busted, from what I can gather, but she's essentially tiny today. I guess there's just been a natural "inflation" (hyuk hyuk) of eroticism and its limits. Even the ecchi OVAs of long ago, like Minna Agechau, have nothing on the likes of Kagaku na Yatsura, Asa Made Jugyou Chu, the Maken-ki OVA, or TLR:D.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I live in the U.S. and have been a Crunchyroll subscriber for about 5 years. However, I've barely used it to actually watch anime recently and will likely let my subscription lapse in a few months. Why?

Because about two years ago it became basically unwatchable the vast majority of the time It used to run fine, but at some point they did something that made the buffering go to shit, and I frequently hit the buffer several times less than 2 minutes into the episode. That is unwatchable. It's also a lot easier to screencap episodes from fansubs/rips, but that's not the reason I use them.

I've never used illegitimate streaming sites though, just download fansubs.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote
On the subject of playing blurays on your pc I highly recommend getting a decent codec pack like CCCP or Combined Community Codec Pack. It personally works great for me and best of all the pack is free.

Now as far as illegal streaming sites go, the only time I ever use one is to watch more adult material that I would be embarrassed to own. Aside from that I don't see the point, due in part that most hare heavily watermarked, are in encoded in 240p and have horrible audio.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, I definitely understand people that live in countries with little access to anime going to these sites, but... what about the fans who live in the US and watch them? They aren't exactly a niche group on those sites. I have no complete answer, but based on observation (from people I know in real life), they:

1) Don't have proper internet access. One of my friends only has a PS3 to browse the internet on, and she most definitely can't pay for a Crunchyroll subscription, as her aunt forcibly controls her finances and will literally take her money if she uses it "wrong" (anything her aunt disagrees with). I'd like to say she's unique, but in our local library anime club, OVER HALF OF THE MEMBERS (8 of the 14 regular members) ARE IN SIMILAR SITUATIONS. So that's gotta say something about potential demographics for this site.

2) Can't access blocked sites and blocked torrents. Believe it or not, Crunchyroll was blocked at the college I went to. I don't know why or how, but when I talked to IT, they basically said there's something about the site that does something to the network to clog it up? But that seems really awkward, considering these pirate sites are just as bad, if not worse, and would seem to cause more damage, I'd think. And, of course, torrents are considered a "security hole," so those are blocked. You have to use painfully slow direct downloads, assuming you can find them. That's what I ended up doing until I'd go home for a few days every once in a while and just replace all those downloads with better ones or continue watching on better sites. Plus, I do have the income to buy anime every once in a while, so that's what I do.

3) Blatantly refusal to try anything different. THIS ONE is a little less excusable, considering it dips in ignorance and reluctance to change, but... when you've got something that's already steeped in convenience and routine, and you don't care about quality, what reason do you have to change your ways? You don't have to strain your home connection or wait with torrents, and though Crunchyroll is similar to the pirate sites, it still ends up introducing slight inconveniences to those who don't have an urge to pay for its full services.
I don't agree with these people, and I doubt many of us do, but it's most definitely a reason. And considering there isn't a widespread effort to educate people on these factors, I don't see this changing any time soon.

I can't say anything about hulu or Netflix, considering we have a Netflix account, but whatever the heck I'm doing, it keeps messing up whatever I'm watching, so I gave up. And I just never tried hulu, considering Crunchyroll is just that convenient.

Last edited by Juno016 on Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It was a huge hit, the blowback from PTA groups and the media were fierce, and Nagai famously trolled them back by turning the series from a gag comic into a brutal depiction of war and freedom of expression. The PTA in the story ends up killing everyone. Then a few years later he picked up the story again as if none of that ever happened.

That sounds absolutely awesome. Nagai trolled epically before it was even a thing. XD
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9