• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fans Rank Their Biggest Live-Action Anime Adaptation Fails

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I've only seen Casshern and I was like what the hell. I am curious to see Gatchaman.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Shame that Last Airbender couldn't have been a voting option, it might've beaten Dragon Ball Evolution (or come in a close second). I personally think Last Airbender is worse because DBE is hilariously bad at times whereas Last Airbender is depressingly bad at all times.
Supermutant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Dragonball Evolution for sure deserved the nods. Not that DBZ was that much better anyway. Gatchaman I think was a bomb. Devil Man god was bad. I finally watched it last year. First Nana was pretty good. Fist Of North Star ::shrugs::
I was sort of thought maybe speed racer movie would be on list to but guess maybe not enough that was polled hated or saw it. I thought it was pretty good myself. Not perfect but was closes to a good LA adaption of Anime here in US. Just flaws in script and some things hurt it.
Araki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:24 pm Reply with quote
They forgot that Ranma live action, it was pretty terrible too...but then again, Ranma itself is crap enough already.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:30 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Shame that Last Airbender couldn't have been a voting option, it might've beaten Dragon Ball Evolution (or come in a close second). I personally think Last Airbender is worse because DBE is hilariously bad at times whereas Last Airbender is depressingly bad at all times.
Not an anime
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:39 pm Reply with quote
So the Gatchaman movie was that bad? Judging form the trailer it certainly looked pretty good... huh, interesting. Gotta check it out when I get the chance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I thought both NANA films were pretty good, even if they were definitely pretty abbreviated at times (the first film especially, since almost all of Nana Komatsu's backstory was cut).
mrsatan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see the travesty of Fist of the North Star hasn't been forgotten.

I hated Devilman and Casshern. So boring. I didn't even finish Casshern, it was that dull. I think I've only done that twice with a movie ever.

I don't know if I'd put Yamato on this list. I hated the gender-swapping and other needless changes, but I'd say that movie was just average.

And yeah, the #1 spot is well deserved.
Ampharos

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:59 pm Reply with quote
There was really no way Evolution wasn't going to "win" by a massive landslide, was there? (Very well-deserved, that. The surely-atrocious upcoming Akira adaptation may be the only thing that could ever possibly dethrone it.)
Freakmasta

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I remember going to the midnight screening of DBEvolution. What were we thinking?! AND at the end of the movie, there was a crew asking questions saying 'So how was it?' I'm pretty sure you all know what we said.
Sarukah

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Not an anime

...Thats why they said "couldn't have been a voting option".

Some day if I'm bored enough I might try the DBZ film for giggles. We'll see.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Ampharos wrote:
There was really no way Evolution wasn't going to "win" by a massive landslide, was there? (Very well-deserved, that. The surely-atrocious upcoming Akira adaptation may be the only thing that could ever possibly dethrone it.)

I also like to add the upcoming live-action of Lupin the 3rd could join the rank too after it's been said that they have to modernize the character including Goemon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I grew increasingly tired and annoyed by Ueno Juri's mugging in the live-action version of Nodame Cantabile. I watched the original eleven-episode series and the first two movies, but couldn't make it through the third. I did think Tamaki Hiroshi made a fine Chiaki, though my daughter thought he wasn't handsome enough!

The live-action version of Bartender is quite different from the anime (and presumably the manga). It places the relationship between Ryuu and Miwa in the center of the story and adds more romance. In the anime Miwa clearly has a crush on Ryuu which he fails to reciprocate. I don't think it is because he isn't interested, but because he is trying to maintain his professional demeanor. (Personally I think he is being a bit silly considering Miwa is a lovely, intelligent young heiress. The bigger question is why is she still single.) Despite those differences, I rather liked the live-action version.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Araki wrote:
They forgot that Ranma live action, it was pretty terrible too...

Think they meant "features", as the live-action TV Sailor Moon or Maison Ikkoku weren't up there either.
(The Jackie Chan "City Hunter" is also mysteriously absent, or maybe they forgot about that one.)

Freakmasta wrote:
I remember going to the midnight screening of DBEvolution. What were we thinking?! AND at the end of the movie, there was a crew asking questions saying 'So how was it?' I'm pretty sure you all know what we said.

The US DB movie was all over the map--
Fox first announced it after Warner had their big hit with a big Tolkien trilogy, and Cartoon Network was just starting to catch on with DBZ in the US. The studio looked at DBZ from the beginning--and, like most gaijin, not even realizing Goku started out as a little kid--thought the first two Raditz and Namek arcs from the syndicated shows were all there was, and announced, quote, "A brand new epic movie series, in the tradition of Lord of the Rings!" Uh-haaaahhh... Rolling Eyes

One Buu Saga later ( Mad ), the DBZ Movie urge cooled for both Fox and Warner, and when they likely found out there was more to the show, the idea was downgraded to starting from the beginning.
There was an early script where we still had the Americanized ideas of a western teen Goku and the "prehistoric legend" of Piccolo, but was going to work in more of the "real" characters: Emperor Pilaf (looking pale and vampiric) was going to make a cameo as he sends Mai out--with Shuu showing up as a masked Patrick Warburton ninja--the Ox King was going to be a big Mr. Satan-style wrestling star, and along the way Goku was going to run into the snow village where he meets his lil' girl pal Sunow (who gets a few sitcom-kid wisecracks).
But first Fox wanted to Americanize it completely, then when fan tracking turned disastrous, tried to get religion and move the story back to faithful canon in reshoots and editing, and it never ended up being one or the other--By the end, it upgrades itself from a "disaster" to a "failed effort". Oh, and Chow Yun-Fat had never seen the show, has no sense of humor, and literally thought he was supposed to play Roshi as a "wise master" with some occasionally funny lines.

(Which reminds me, why isn't the HK "Dragon Ball: the Magic Begins" on the list, either?)

Last edited by EricJ2 on Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:50 pm Reply with quote
In terms of costume designs, the live-action Nana was pretty good. But I guess they mean that they didn't dig how it was less "emo" than its source material. Also, they got that 90s Fist of the North Star in Japan? Laughing I'm also in the minority in liking Casshern, but am surprised at Yatterman being on the list, 'cus I thought it was a hit there. I didn't like Yatterman myself, but I always thought it was a case of, I don't "get" it, because I hadn't yet seen the show at Anime Sols.

Supermutant: I hate the Wachowski Speed Racer, too, but the anime was never big in Japan in the first place, so...

Araki: This is about live-action movies, not tv shows.

But anyway, the reason DB:E sucks so badly is not because of how it turned out, but because it was clearly a case of wasted potential from a major studio. If it was made by a Japanese company, then people might be more forgiving, but they expected FOX to be able to do an X-Men-type job with it.

mdo: I'm not betting against Lupin just yet.

Eric: Meh, there are plenty of YA book series which are just as long and detailed as DB, but the studios generally got those right. But FOX just didn't care about DB. As for Chow Yun-Fat, if you want to see him good movies with comedic elements, check out the God of Gamblers and Once a Thief films. 'Cus I don't think it's fair for him to be judge by a script which he had no control over. Also, the Jackie Chan City Hunter is enjoyable, as long as you accept it for what it is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4