• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodansha USA to Print Attack on Titan in Omnibus Edition

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xScar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:21 pm Reply with quote
$60 list price... is it worth it? Is pretty bad art on larger pages really worth it?

Viz puts three volumes into one for the list price of $20, and there, I get art from Takehiko Inoue. So there, it's worth it. But this Colossal edition is even bigger than the VIZBIGs; I think it should be similar to Viz's Nausicaa re-release. Sorry, but Isayama's art really doesn't need that big of a page size.

When I first read the headline, I thought I might finally grab the series, but the list price and the fact that it's -five- volumes in one seems quite ridiculous. I can't even imagine trying to hold that book.

Guess it's more of a collector's item than anything, and another way to put the series out there to rake in the money.
blaizevincent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:38 pm Reply with quote
hope its hardback
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I wish everything was in Omnibus editions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
doubleO7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:59 pm Reply with quote
xScar wrote:
$60 list price... is it worth it? Is pretty bad art on larger pages really worth it?

Keep in mind, the MSRP is $60. Few places are actually going to sell it at that price. Most stores will probably have it listed closer to $40.
xScar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:04 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
xScar wrote:

Keep in mind, the MSRP is $60. Few places are actually going to sell it at that price. Most stores will probably have it listed closer to $40.

Of course, but I was also comparing Viz's MSRP. Still pretty expensive. Viz's Nausicaa boxset which has two beautiful hardcover volumes that are 500 pages each also retails for $60, and that's Miyazaki.

I get the fact that AoT is still fairly new, but jeez.

This release is just jokes.
Nemui_Nezumi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:08 pm Reply with quote
...meh, already have the series, not interested (the new edition won't even have pages in color, I don't see the point, and plus, that freaking price....nope)

I want to support the series as much as I can but nope, this time you're not getting my money Kodansha
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:

Where as i hate them with a passion they just cheapen the whole experience.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:53 pm Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:

Er...exactly how do you figure that one?

Just doing some quick calculations based on RightStuf prices at least, and this actually wouldn't cost but a handful of bucks more than getting the five volumes individually would, and that's without however marked down this might be once it actually comes out. So for someone such as myself who hasn't gotten around to buying any of this manga yet, this'd be a great way to get started IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:13 pm Reply with quote
blaizevincent wrote:
hope its hardback

I cannot emphasize this enough!

I really really really hope this is hard cover, because the spines of soft cover omnibuses get so bent and beat up after reading them just once, and they look terrible afterwards when you display them on a shelf.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
yurihellsing wrote:

Just doing some quick calculations based on RightStuf prices at least, and this actually wouldn't cost but a handful of bucks more than getting the five volumes individually would, and that's without however marked down this might be once it actually comes out. So for someone such as myself who hasn't gotten around to buying any of this manga yet, this'd be a great way to get started IMO.

"cheapen" doesn't always have monetary connotations.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:26 pm Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:

Oh, no, I knew what you meant. My bad, I didn't separate my comments well enough - I was just doing some calculations to see how much this would cost compared to getting the volumes individually.

I got that you meant cheapening it in an 'enjoyment' manner or the like. I don't really understand how it would do that, myself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
yurihellsing wrote:

Oh, no, I knew what you meant. My bad, I didn't separate my comments well enough - I was just doing some calculations to see how much this would cost compared to getting the volumes individually.

I got that you meant cheapening it in an 'enjoyment' manner or the like. I don't really understand how it would do that, myself.

The repackaged feel of them like most "boxsets" these days generally a cheaper product acting like a premium one.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I just bought the first 5 on Rightstuf's Holiday sale :p Still, I think that's WAY too many volumes for one book, especially if it's on thicker paper, it just screams "BENT SPINE".
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:53 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:

Same.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:10 pm Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
yurihellsing wrote:

So you don't mean cheapen as in monetary, but cheapen as in putting the manga with more chapters in the same volume (and, IIUC larger pages) somehow devalues the experience of reading the manga.

Which kind of leaves the question standing ... exactly how do you figure it does that?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2