• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Two different versions of Princess Mononoke (movie) R1 DVD?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking on ebay and using the UPC from this site (717951007414) for what's listed as the only region 1 release of the film to come up with a few results at what seems to be the standard price of around $15-20 for a brand new copy.

However, there are also several copies on ebay with the UPC 065935133216 that are coming up at about $8-10 brand new. Is there a difference between these two versions? Is one more recent, have upgraded audio/video, preferred over the other, etc? What's also confusing is the fact that both versions list a release date of 12/19/2000. I'm pretty sure the second one isn't a bootleg seeing as how dozens of copies have been sold from one particular (and reputable) seller and nobody has left negative feedback about it, but if someone could clear up the confusion, I'd be very much appreciative!
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:19 pm Reply with quote
At one point, Miramaxe tried to screw us with the dub-only edited DVD, but most of them should've been recalled by now. Though there could be a few purchased-but-unwanted copies still floating on Ebay, which is what you might be seeing now. So check the specs, I guess.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Is there any other difference between the two other than the lack of a Japanese audio track (such as any missing/additional special features)? I only watch dubs anyway, so I'd be fine purchasing the dub only version as long as it's not missing any special features that the other version contains. Thanks for the help!
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:15 pm Reply with quote
So, that's what they are going for now? I had seen it as low as $7.99 new last year. But anyways, didn't they just release the JP BD in December? I'd probably wait then as Disney will probably issue a combo pack within a year or so. It will probably push the older version down in price then.

just my 2 cents.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Actually, my DVD has UPC 065935133216. The one I have is a bilingually titled Canadian release with French titles and descriptions included. It has Japanese, English, and French language tracks, the English subs and the English CC subs (but no French subs - sacre bleu!) and the only extras are a five minute dub actors featurette and US trailer.

I've never had the "normal" release so I don't know if these contents are different at all.

Look at the description of this ebay seller. You can see the French on the spine (also in small letters under the English on the front.
The distributor was Alliance Atlantis (now part of eOne Entertainment).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Princess-Mononoke-Princesse-Mononoke-Canadian-edition-anime-Miyazaki-Ghibli-/221380530993?pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item338b4ed331
(Anyone else remember the Canadian website DVDSoon.com? Incredible deals and international shipping rates... went bankrupt in the dirtiest of fashions, taking orders, never shipping and just fleeing to the Bahamas or something.)

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:15 pm Reply with quote
This listing on eBay shows the back with your 065935133216 UPC code. It also says its Canadian. Comparing it with the back of my US (717951007414) copy it doesn't seem to be any different with what it lists as far as features. My copy also has a French Language Track as a special feature.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I must have opened my edit box right as One-Eye responding. There's a bunch of redundant info in the last two posts, but at least you have confirmation from two sources.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:50 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
So, that's what they are going for now? I had seen it as low as $7.99 new last year. But anyways, didn't they just release the JP BD in December? I'd probably wait then as Disney will probably issue a combo pack within a year or so. It will probably push the older version down in price then.

just my 2 cents.

Does Disney have the rights to Princess Mononoke, I thought Miramax did.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
One-Eye wrote:

just my 2 cents.

Does Disney have the rights to Princess Mononoke, I thought Miramax did.

Miramax's rights expired I think in 2011 and I think one of the reasons PM went OOP. Disney has PM on its site with the blue Studio Ghibli label that they've had on their other Studio Ghibli releases (Nausicaa, Castle in the Sky, etc). Its also for sale at the Disney Movie Club. To me that means that Disney has acquired some kind of rights to the film.

ANN reports Int'l releases planned
Fandom Post mentions HK release and speculates on possible US release
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:06 pm Reply with quote
From what I understood, Miramax was only meant to be a distributor of Princess Mononoke, because Disney got scared of the violent content and the PG-13 rating. But I guess Miramax still got the exclusive home vid rights, and Disney had to buy those back. I have a feeling
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:39 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
From what I understood, Miramax was only meant to be a distributor of Princess Mononoke, because Disney got scared of the violent content and the PG-13 rating. But I guess Miramax still got the exclusive home vid rights, and Disney had to buy those back. I have a feeling

If I recall what I read once correctly the original deal that Disney struck did include home video, but did not include DVD. VHS was still around at this time and I think DVD was brand spanking new. According to this article from The Guardian it was Harvey Weinstein from Miramax that negotiated for Princess Mononoke. So it still might have been under Miramax's banner even though Miramax was a subsidiary of Disney at the time.
Quote:
Miyazaki taps a cigarette from a silver case. The Disney deal suits him, he explains, because he has stuck to his guns. His refusal to grant merchandising rights means that there is no chance of any Nausicaa happy meals or Spirited Away video games. Furthermore, Disney wields no creative control. There is a rumour that when Harvey Weinstein was charged with handling the US release of Princess Mononoke, Miyazaki sent him a samurai sword in the post. Attached to the blade was a stark message: "No cuts."

The director chortles. "Actually, my producer did that. Although I did go to New York to meet this man, this Harvey Weinstein, and I was bombarded with this aggressive attack, all these demands for cuts." He smiles. "I defeated him."Link

My impression (and I could be wrong) is that the deal might have been renegotiated at a certain later time to get the DVD rights for the Ghibli films which included PM. However, when Disney sold the company Miramax left with a bunch of titles that included PM. I'm guessing here, but after the license expired (2011?) I assume Disney picked up PM and that's why its now in the Disney store.
WTK

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:54 pm Reply with quote
This is the Disney cover release that is sold at retailers (select?). They supposedly still have the old Miramax UPC sticker.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1