• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
H.T. (Trigun OP Cover).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kid Yuki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Hello everyone!

I just finished my newest video for my anime/video game music channel. Check it out and tell me what you think!

http://youtu.be/65DCUICw_dI

Many thanks,

Kid Yuki
http://www.facebook.com/kidyuki1
https://twitter.com/KidYuki1
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, dude. We don't really allow self-advertising for personal endeavors and such. It's not written in the rules, per se, but enough users have commented over the years that when random people sign up for this forum just to show off their projects, Youtube channels, and whatnot (and sometimes even recruit), it feels kinda' invasive and off-putting when no one has even asked for it in the first place (even if it is freakin' awesome like this cover! Anime hyper). I appreciate your zeal, passion, and talent for even creating this, though, so I'll leave the thread be.

Honestly, all it takes to make this thread discussion-worthy is some kind of textual content (i.e. words by you explaining to or conversing with someone, like me *hint hint*) about why you're doing this, what started it, or some quick blurb about technique that could get someone interested in actually reading/replying instead of just clicking/watching.

Best of luck you ya'.
Kid Yuki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Well then, I give you a combination of apology and profuse gratitude. Like you said, it wasn't in the rules, and I always try to abide by community rules, ESPECIALLY when self-promoting. That being said, I totally understand why people don't want someone just posting a thing asking for likes and then never returning.

Thank you very much for a. listening/watching before deciding to delete my post, b. giving me a chance, and c. for the compliments!

My two major passions have always been music and anime, but for some reason, it never occurred to me to combine the two. Then last year, I went to the convention Anime Midwest in Chicago and saw The Pillowcases covering all those great FLCL songs, and it clicked in my mind like "hey, I could totally do this!" I started out learning anime openings on acoustic guitar so I could play them at conventions, but then I decided to try branching out into full band recordings/music videos on youtube, and the result was the video you just watched. The H.T. video is to be the first of many, hopefully. My drummer friend is working on more drum tracks for me as we speak.

I don't know if that was more of a conversation starter or more of a mini-biography haha. What are some of your favorite anime openings or endings?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:11 am Reply with quote
That's actually a great intro to your passions and hobbies! I haven't watched very much new anime since Code Geass season 2 (and thus, haven't heard much beyond that year), but I like a pretty eclectic variety of genres and their artists from as far as I can remember (since, say, the mid to late '90s pop stuff starting with Megumi Hayashibara). I wouldn't say I have a "favorite" type, as I enjoy anything that has a good melodic or lyrical quality to it and sounds catchy or fitting to the show itself. J-Pop, J-Rock, Light Rock, Alternative, Metal, Classical/Instrumental, what very few instances of Hip-Hop there are; I'm good with pretty much anything.

I'm more curious as to how you decided to put music and anime together. You seem pretty handy with the guitar, there. Was there a specific influence by any artists or pieces of music that made you decide to take your passion to the next level? Do you specialize or prefer a particular genre that you can do better than others? And if so, are there any groups or artists from said genres that you like the most (aside from The Pillows, obviously, 'cause just about any music-lover that also watches anime should know how great they are by now Razz)?
Kid Yuki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Interesting, interesting. Let's see...The biggest influences on all of my musical work would be mostly classic rock bands. I've been a classic rock nut for most of my life, and I learned a lot of what I know from the bands that liked to experiment with blending genres like Led Zeppelin, Rush, Yes, Kansas, and Steely Dan. I have sung and played guitar, bass, and drums in quite a few bands over the years, but just about all of them either played songs by or wrote songs heavily influenced by one of those bands.

As far as anime music goes, I'm still not familiar with too many bands or artists. It was only in the couple years that I actually started listening to anime music (or other jpop or jrock) outside of watching anime. Certainly, the Pillows had a big impact on me back in the day when the first started playing FLCL on Adult Swim, but I think it was Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad that really got me into playing music from anime. I started watching that series just under a year ago, and something about it really resonated with me. Maybe it was because I'd had a few experiences in bands that were similar to those in show. In any case, that show is where I got my pseudo-stage-name from. The main character of Beck is nicknamed Koyuki with "Ko" meaning "child" (I don't know how familiar you are with Japanese).

Oh, the other thing is it was only in the past year or so that I discovered the great wealth of romaji lyric sites that existed on the internet. I don't know Japanese, so I thought the only way to figure out lyrics was to listen over and over and try to figure out syllables.

Okay, I think that's enough for chapter 2 of my entire freaking biography. I find it interesting that a moderator on the Anime News Network forums doesn't keep up with new anime. Obviously, that is not a qualification, but still. Was there something that made you lose interest in newer anime? Did something else start occupying your time in its place (that could get pretty personal, so you don't have to answer that if you don't want)? How long have you been moderating here for?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:00 am Reply with quote
Kid Yuki wrote:
I learned a lot of what I know from the bands that liked to experiment with blending genres like Led Zeppelin, Rush, Yes, Kansas, and Steely Dan.

Excellent choices. I really got into classic rock a few years ago after hearing Rush's "Tom Sawyer" on the TV show Chuck. Not sure what it was about the sound of the song (maybe Peart's drumming, the synth melody, or Geddy Lee's very distinct vocals), but a little after that, I downloaded all of their songs to play on Rock Band and haven't looked back since.

I enjoy Zeppelin and Steely Dan on occasion as well, along with Boston, The Who, and Queen, just to name a few other of my faves.

Kid Yuki wrote:
I think it was Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad that really got me into playing music from anime.

I love Beck. Not just for the obvious musical aspect, which is a rockin' soundtrack in and of itself, but because of the very down-to-earth and human story it tells. It's a coming-of-age tale for Koyuki, which is always nice to see, since most of the guys in its target demographic probably felt or experienced stuff like that growing up (I know I did, a little). But it's the passion and pursuit of Koyuki's love for music that really captivates me. I mean, you could just as easily switch out "music" for any other art or hobby (mine happens to be movies), and it's still a great story filled with drama, romance, and some very quirky characters.

I think it's awesome that it inspired you to carry out your passion for playing music all the same.

Kid Yuki wrote:
Was there something that made you lose interest in newer anime?

Well I still like the medium a lot. But I think I got a little too over-obsessed with it for a few years and just kinda' burned out. I think since Geass season 2, I've only watched less than a dozen "new" titles at most. I still have a huge collection on DVD and even upgraded some older titles to Blu-ray, but I don't really go out of my way anymore to really pursue it as much as I used to. That, and too much of the newer stuff looks like utter fluff (rom-coms, school dramas, and the like), which I'm not a big fan of (unless it's incredibly well done in some sort of unique or quirky manner).

Kid Yuki wrote:
How long have you been moderating here for?

Since January '06, I think. Needless to say, moderating, dealing with various personalities here, and working in retail since then has made me a little too cynical and frank at times, which some people take issue with, but more others tend to compliment Razz.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1