• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you playing right now? Why?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:31 pm Reply with quote
OHAI DER, BRAVELY DEFAULT!

I've been waiting for over a year to get to play this, since my friend got the original Jpn release. So totally stoked.
Jomei Jostar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:50 am Reply with quote
Naruto Storm 3, Ratchet and Clank Into The Nexus, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure All Star Battle (In Japanese), GTA 5, BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend, and Fire Emblem Awakening! (3DS)
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Bought Anarchy Reigns for the 360 on Saturday. Game is fun as hell, and I haven't even touched multiplayer yet. OST is one of the greatest I've ever heard, though it's truly unique that a completely Japanese game has an OST by underground American/Canadian rappers. Too bad we'll never have an anime with a similar OST, would be amazing.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:49 am Reply with quote
Playing Tales of Graces f now. So, I'm good with the idea of CC instead of TP, those have always annoyed me, but dear Arceus do I hate the combat! I'm having a hell of a time figuring out how to link X attacks and O attacks in a way that I never had in any other Tales game. Honestly, I've been putting the entire party on auto and I'm enjoying it more. The game can clearly link the attacks, but the idea occurred to me when I noticed I kept dying all the time while the AI allies barely had a scratch on them. And sure enough, if I just monitor them for poison and status effects, it's working pretty well. I honestly can't do better, it feels like I'm button mashing more than I do in arcade games I can't play (interesting tale, I once button mashed my way to defeating someone actually good at Street Fighter 4. I was told the two most generic combos and everything else kind of fell into place). I felt like in Xilia, I was linking stuff like a pro, and here, I'm flailing around and maybe having it work. So yeah, AI is good stuff. Now, this isn't the first time I've put a party on full auto in an RPG, but it's usually during level grinding and I turn it off for boss fights. Not here.

On the minor annoyance scale is the lack of an overworld camera, a clear relic of it being a Wii game. Usually it's fine, I just feel it hides a lot of the nooks and crannies, making exploring a bit more difficult.

Despite all my complaining though, I am actually enjoying the story itself and I think the way it started out with the whole childhood thing was quite clever as it establishes the characters before a time leap (that the intro clearly establishes will happen based on the older character designs all over it). Hilariously enough I started thinking "what if they did away with the gameplay and just did the cutscenes? Why don't they make something that?" And of course, that's kind of what anime is, isn't it!
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:32 pm Reply with quote
^ Could not get into Graces at all, don't know what it was about it. Then again I have had a hard time getting into any of the Tales games since Symphonia.

Also, since when did we have a VID GAMEZ forum? Smile

I just picked up the console version of Resident Evil Revelations. I've only played the first chapter but I can already tell it's approximately 700000000 times better than Resident Turdface the 6th.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:50 am Reply with quote
I only got a PS3 recently, keep in mind. Anyway, when I was browsing the store, I noticed Fat Princess was on sale for $3.49 so I decided to get it. Because I haven't played many online games period, this was kind of the first game like this I've really gotten to play (though I've certainly seen it played and am familiar with the style). Gotta say, had a lot of fun! But I am not paying $5 for the expansion pack. I wasn't the type to go hit up the castle for the most part, I more preferred to stay in the back, gather resources, build everything up, then feel free to go on the attack. There was this particularly tense battle at the lava land. I was on blue team, and red team had both princesses. Then, one of them was captured after the timer was half done, and we managed to keep the game close until the timer ran out and I guess we had more points. But it was tense the whole time!
sandracollin1985

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:47 am Reply with quote
Right now I enjoy playing GTA 5 and Naruto Storm 3. I'm not a fan of playing games but when Naruto Storm 3 hit the market I'm loving it each day.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:11 am Reply with quote
Finished Jude's route in Tales of Xillia.
After Vesperia and now Xillia, I no longer need to play any additional Tales games, they are not for me.
First what I liked:
Loved Milla's voice actress (English), I thought as the game went on, she changed accordingly to reflect the changes in Milla.
Traditionally animated cut scenes were visually great.
Character skits, and after battle cut scenes were entertaining.
The shop level system was an improvement over Vesperia in my opinion.
What I did not like:
This was not a good looking game. Vesperia was 5 years older and I thought it looked better (a case where less is more). It seemed Xillia wanted detailed textures, but did not fully consider how they would look in a lot of cases.
Cut scenes using the game engine ranged from barely passable to shockingly bad. Several character models would look like they had had a stroke, with one side of the face drooping. Mouths never looked right.
Combat, while an improvement over Vesperia, was still not enjoyable to me. Can you believe I have made it through Vesperia and Xillia, and have still never managed to pull off a mystic art?
Maps: the thought of having to get through yet another 3 connected box canyons to get to the next plot point... I like exploring, but constantly respawning mobs really drags it out. Since combat is optional 95% of the time, you can just run through, but then you might not be strong enough...
Character motivations:
Milla: a given.
Jude's motivation made zero sense to me. He is supposed to be a smart kid, but why does he follow Milla? It must be hot girl in a short skirt, but it tries to sell me on some big connection that is just never justified by in game events in my opinion.
Leia is there because of Jude, so if you discount Jude...
Elize.... once back to civilization, no reason at all to be there.
Rowan makes sense due to his relationship with several NPCs and his involvement in prior conflicts.
Alvin, I guess you have to have a traitor, seriously though, after the third or fourth time it was comical.
Like Alvin, the goal for our group reverses course countless times. What you were trying to save you now must destroy, until a few minutes later when you need to save it again.
If you have played, you know there is a point in the game where after a battle and a 'shocking' series of events the survivors spend an insufferable amount of time moping and raging, with the overall theme "What was the point?"

Indeed, I actually agreed, but in regard to myself.
What was the point of it all?
_Emi_

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Got Elder Scrolls: Online installed and ready for the Beta opening tomorrow. I really enjoy the Elder Scrolls universe and it will be fun to get more opportunity to play around in it. When I they sent me the code, I was given a beta code to share. Anyone want it?
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:50 am Reply with quote
Kind of cool to go back to games you didn't quite "get" when you were younger. In this case, Beyond Good & Evil. I got my PS2 in 2001, I am now remembering how many classic games came out winter of 2003. I did play it then, but I would've been maybe 14 and still new to gaming as it was my first console and all I really played on my GameBoy was Pokemon. So I didn't quite understand the type of gameplay or whatnot.
Now that I'm older though and bought it on sale on the PSN for $5, I am quite appreciating it much more and not getting all frightened when those damn guard bots kill me like I used to. I don't remember if dying before sent you back to the save point or if they changed that for the HD remake, but here, there seem to be auto check points. I'll admit I am using a guide to help me locate some pearls though, kind of like collecting power cells in Jak & Daxter or something. And this time, every time I see an animal, camera goes right out, who cares if it's attacking me, I need its picture!
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Project Diva F on the Vita.
I would have never thought I would have liked this type of game, I bought the PS3 version for the music, and to support US releases.
I got addicted!
I managed to get all the trophies, the hardest being clearing everything on Hard. I think the song Negaposi Continues took me over 20 tries.
The game was released today as a digital download on PSN for the Vita, $29.99. The extra songs: Tell Your World, Tokyo Teddy Bear, Dream Eating Monochrome Baku, Sweet Devil, Rin Chan Now and Senbozakura were an extra $9.99. Additional DLC from the ps3 version carried over.
So I have begun my quest to beat the game on the Vita. Getting used to using the screen (front or back) for the Star targets instead of the sticks is taking some getting used to so far.
It is nice to have something else to play on the Vita, I just have Persona 4 Golden, Assassins Creed III (bundle, I really do not like stealth type games, but I have a white Vita!), and Gravity Rush.

I will probably import Project Diva F 2nd for the PS3, I really liked the song lineup announced for it.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Just finished the campaign mission for COD: Modern Warfare 3, probably the best Modern Warfare I've played so far on my PS3. Smile

Glad I bought it last weekend. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Cleared all the songs on hard on Project Diva F for the Vita.
Adjusting to the using the front or back screen instead of the sticks for the star targets was tough. The intent I guess was to rub your finger anywhere on the screens, as long as there was movement when the star targets hit. Like scratching a record.

It does seem odd that in a game requiring precision, that these wildly imprecise inputs would be required. Now, moving the analog sticks on the PS3 was not the best of solutions either, but it was way better.

Another difference between handheld and PS3, especially on the higher difficulties was trying not to hit the buttons too hard when the targets really came pouring in. On the Vita, this causes the screen to move as well, which is not good.

I actually had the toughest time clearing my favorite song in the game, Unhappy Refrain, mainly due to the speed of the presses required, it was no issue at all on the PS3. I think I clocked in 20 tries on the Vita, which was not terrible since I like the song a lot.
Negaposi Continues only took me five tries, glad to be done with that one.
I am now gathering Diva points on Normal using challenge items. There are still a ton of accessory and room items to buy. It should not take long.

I think I am going gamble on Stick of Truth next, I love South Park and all the reviews so far have been what I wanted to hear.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:44 am Reply with quote
I completely missed that ANN finally got itself a Video Game forum. I'll be getting use out of thing I think.

Currently I'm playing Retro Game Challenge on the DS. I have to say this game really surprised me, its gimick is that you've gone back in time and must beat game challenges for old NES (Famicom) games. Except the games aren't existing games, their wholly new for this game. What suprised me is, all these throwback games? They're really REALLY good. Like... if I had played them for real in the late 80s though would have been my favorites. They all draw heavily from existing popular games (one game is basically Galaga, another is a puzzle platformer like Wreaking Crew, and one game is a full blown RPG that amalgamates Final Fantasy, Dragons Quest, AND Megami Tensei!). Really the only annoying part of this game is one of the games is a top down racing game, which I've never been a fan of. And then you unlock a 'special edition' of the game which is the same game with a different color pallet. I think it was meant as a gag, but since you have to beat 4 challenges to move on/unlock to the next game it just meant I had to play the game I hated the most twice as long.

But other that that... this game is fantastic. Apparently its based on a Japanese TV reality show Retro Gaming Master, and even stars the lead as the villain of the game. It sucks that apparently the English release only sold 100,000 copies (I recall seeing it in GameStop bargin bins several years ago. Apparently there was a sequel with even more retro inspired games. That unfortunately we will never get now.

So if you see this game for cheap, pick it up. You may be shocked at how much fun it is.

Also, I'm playing Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor Overclocked on 3DS. I'm liking it a lot. I was trying to play Persona 3 FES on PS2, but something just isn't clicking with me the same way other SMT games have in the past. I guess Persona just might not be for me.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:51 am Reply with quote
@Mr.Adventure
Persona 3 and 4 were both pretty slow for the first in-game month of gameplay if you ask me. Also, I'd play the PSP version of Persona 3 if you can, the combat was redone to match Persona 4 (and you could control your own damn party, I still don't know why they didn't just have that option from the start, because on bosses, I'd often find them dumb as bricks when they were perfectly fine for level grinding). Sure, the PSP is missing the extra chapter, but it's "meh" anyway. But for both of them, as time marches on and you can access more social links, the integration between what you do on your off days and what you do on your training nights really starts to become one thing where you're obsessed with both and one gives you a break from the other so you don't feel so worn out (and it makes it hard to stop playing). It's one part dating sim, one part mystery dungeon, one part gotta catch 'em all, it just takes a bit for the gears to all start moving at the same pace.

I think I need to keep an eye out for Retro Game Challenge now... I'll check the special game shop on Saturday methinks.

As for me, I nearly forgot to play the extra episode I paid and downloaded for Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies. I've beaten the main game, so this is just the side episode I am now enjoying. I'm having a hard time reseting my brain on *cough* certain revelations from the main game, lol. Probably the strangest client yet. Of course, this is the one time the opening doesn't show you who the murderer is, so I have no idea if I've met them yet or if they're gonna hide them til day 2. I like how the police let potential suspects roam free even after day 1 of court pretty much points right at them. Shame they say they won't bring over that other bonus ep because they claim it's "too Japanese", I still want it! I'll admit though, I am still having that problem of "which of three similar pieces of evidence does the game want me to show?" but unlike past games, I think the restart points are more generous so I don't mind rubbing things against each other adventure puzzle style until it works.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 17