• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do NOT EVER do business with RentAnime - Rip OFF

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:55 pm Reply with quote
This is an DVD by mail rental service where you subscribe to a monthly fee. Their only goal is to make money off of you while throttling your queue to minimize as much as possible the number of DVDs you have out.

My first DVD (Galaxy Angel Vol 3) took over 2 WEEKS to get to me, at which time I already requested to close my account. They don't respond to emails, calling their phone number NEVER gets you in contact with an actual person, their customer service is overall extremely pathetic.

I've been billed twice for this lousy service. I had to contact my credit card company to dispute the charge and they charged me again. They absolutely refuse to respond to email when I am trying give them another chance to regain my trust.

Since this service is run by AnimeNation I will NEVER do business with them either. Don't buy products from this crooked, corrupt, scam company.
Altacia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Never used RentAnime before, but I've never had any trouble with Anime Nation.

Sad

Hope your Credit Card Company clears things up for you.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Altacia wrote:
Never used RentAnime before, but I've never had any trouble with Anime Nation.

Sad

Hope your Credit Card Company clears things up for you.
Thanks.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to hear about this, Past. It must be incredibly frustrating. I never rent anime so its not a service I'd ever use (I'm in Canada, anyway) but hopefully this will help someone else avoid getting dinged by these scumbags. Not responding to emails is unforgivable for a business, as far as I'm concerned.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I didn't have a good experience with them, either! Mad
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I used to deal with AnimeNation. However I haven't for several years. Unfortunately both TRSI and RACS have better selection, much lower prices and better service. I gather they have been a decline for some time now.

I suspect you are up against incompetence and lack of work force rather than malice. However, that would not change things from a customer's point of view. Best to avoid them.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for your supportive words everyone, I didn't think every response would more or less agreeing that doing business with RentAnime has been a mistake.

And yes I'm bumping this thread Wink
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Might it be worth posting something in the sticky feedback thread at the top of the forum?
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:57 pm Reply with quote
This thread might want to be merged with the DVD renting sticky above. I recalled that in the last 2-3 years people started to have more and more problems with RentAnime and you can already see some of that info in the sticky.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I considered signing up with them a few years back, but ultimately decided against it. From the sound of things, it seems I dodged a bullet.

I'm lucky enough to have both a dedicated anime store and a local comic book shop that rent out anime DVDs, so that's how I do the majority of my viewing. Plus there's always Netflix for the odd title that you can't find anywhere else.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1