• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Director Gareth Edwards Breaks Down Latest Godzilla Trailer

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Setsura1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Best movie of the year, calling it!
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Ehh...Looks like they're trying so hard to tie it in with Pacific Rim's universe, they're going for those ponderous, doomed, post-9/11 Zack Snyder-esque CGI-created perpetually-gray skies--"Lizard of Steel". Confused

Granted, I'd rather have that than the Worm Guy with the Funny Greek Name, but it's sort of going from one extreme to the other.
(After about the fifth mention of 'Zilla "eating tuna", you can start to see why the Japanese fans were making all those danged jokes. Godzilla does not eat "tuna", he eats nuclear power. Mad )
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:26 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Ehh...Looks like they're trying so hard to tie it in with Pacific Rim's universe, they're going for those ponderous, doomed, post-9/11 Zack Snyder-esque CGI-created perpetually-gray skies--"Lizard of Steel".

And if you've seen some of the Toho Godzilla films of the 90s and 00s then you'd know why you don't want to backdrop a CGI monster against a bright blue sky. The cobalt blues and dark tones of the original sets of the 50s and 60s {especially the B + W movies; "perpetually gray" indeed} were a lot better at setting the doomed mood evoking the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki...

Something about history repeating itself? Anyway, ovie still seems promising to me but then again, there could be a second and third act completely ruining the build up.
JediSamurai7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:27 am Reply with quote
I love everything that Gareth is saying. From the emotion of the characters to the homage to fans and even having the roar come from the double bass...I feel this film was put in the right hands.

I really can't wait to see this.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:35 am Reply with quote
It was nice of Gareth giving hints in the trailer.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:40 pm Reply with quote
After the suck of Pacific Rim I have no interest in this.

Bad CG and spastic camera work drive me up the wall, especially when the spastic camera work is designed to (as it always is) cover up shortcuts in visual quality.

All I ask is that if movies are going to have so much CG that they just use CG actors and make the movie 100% CG.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:45 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Ehh...Looks like they're trying so hard to tie it in with Pacific Rim's universe, they're going for those ponderous, doomed, post-9/11 Zack Snyder-esque CGI-created perpetually-gray skies--"Lizard of Steel". Confused
PSHH I can only hope so. Pacific Rim was amazing. A crossover would be amazing. Of course it would need a different tone though.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Pacafic Rim was amazing.

I haven't seen "Pacafic Rim" so I'll have to take your word for it Rolling Eyes

However, if you meant Pacific Rim then I can only say that I expected better taste in mecha media from someone who is referencing RahXephon in his username. Crying or Very sad
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Nah, Pacific Rim was a a fun ride, you're just an ass.
Little_Hawk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:12 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Pacific Rim topped the box office in almost every country except USA. It got beaten by Grown Ups 2 for some stupid reason.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Little_Hawk wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Pacific Rim topped the box office in almost every country except USA. It got beaten by Grown Ups 2 for some stupid reason.

It didn't top Japan, but there its Blu-ray sales reach cult hit status.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Pacafic Rim was amazing.

However, if you meant Pacific Rim then I can only say that I expected better taste in mecha media from someone who is referencing RahXephon in his username. Crying or Very sad
I do have good taste. That's why I like Pacific Rim. Thanks.

Bad CG? lol ok.

Double lol at Rahxephon being a mark of anything.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Echo_City

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:20 am Reply with quote
Little_Hawk wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

While the US moviegoing audience doesn't have high standards when it comes to plot, characters and acting it clearly-by its dismissal of Pacific Rim-has higher standards than most of the rest of the world. Pacific Rim wasn't fun, it was piss-poor; except for the CG, bad as that was, it wasn't even up to SciFi original movie standards. If watching something that is poorly scripted, directed, acted, filmed and ultimately executed is fun, it must be because it was "watched ironically". When I pay for a movie, I expect a bit more than "it was good because it was so terribad."

The CG in this movie was truly, truly atrocious. Blurry as hell, when the camera was still long enough to observe it. For all the money they poured into their actual set it also looked like crap. TBH they should have CG'd the entire set as well as the actual set did not help with the horrid acting in this movie. They would have been much better served by simply CG'ing the entire movie and having Hellboy & "Motorcycle Hamlet" (et al) provide the voices for their characters.

RahXephon ain't the greatest, but it was a helluva lot better than the shit that was Pacific Rim. Del Torro should be ashamed of this movie. I can only hope that he watches those copies of Madoka that he was given and "relearns" from them how to make something that isn't completely horrid as he had clearly forgotten how to do so between Hellboy: TGA and Pacific Rim.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:04 am Reply with quote
Seems a bit insane, but ok.

I'm sorry no, the CG in the movie is not bad at all. You want to claim it looks like a sci fi channel movie? You are insane.

Here's a SciFy channel movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uXAwt0fnCw

Here's Pacific Rim:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLuZPIc8nSk

The action is crystal clear. The action is well shoot and directed. You always get an incredible sense of scale and weight in all the action. And there is so much DETAIL! No expense was spared in this direction. Plus, the art design and lighting here is so interesting and colorful that it strays from being some boring old lifeless movie that it could have been.

About the only "cheap" thing they do is present it at dark. That dosen't matter, because the CG in the movie is very solid. I don't really see how it's bad. Maybe you saw it in 3D?

The movie is a fantastic and fun action movie. No, the writing is not great, but it gets the job done. It's story does not shit the bed and provides enough character and plot for the story of GIANT ROBOTS FIGHTING MONSTERS to have something going on.

You don't like it? Ok sure whatever(talking about other people's taste is dubious though). But the CG talk is hilariously off.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:58 am; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:27 am Reply with quote
Sounds like you watched Pacific Rim with a bad projector, I can't recall any of those flaws. I'll concede that most of the film was at night or in the water to perhaps hide any shortcomings of the CG, but it looked about as fine as any other tentpole for the summer, better than some. And I don't like it because "it's so bad it's good", I like it for what it unabashedly is: a somewhat cheesy but earnest attempt to recreate childhood fantasy and 70s mecha anime. No guilt, no irony.

But man, if you despise Pacific Rim this much, I can't imagine how you're still living after three Transformers films in existence.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1