• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan: Demon Capital Blu-Ray

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:38 am Reply with quote
Rather peculiar tidbit about the pacing, the second season mostly feels a lot faster than the first season, and that could be due in part to it covering more manga volumes (season 1 was about 6, while season 2 was 9.5). I will say things kind of bogged down in the last few episodes with the confrontation with Hagoromo-Gitsune where they were just kind of lollygagging until "that person" showed up. Overall I actually liked Demon Capital a lot more than season 1 because I feel there was a nice amount of character development for the subordinates and how their little subplots tied in with the chaos, in particular Kubinashi's rampage. Then there's also how these arcs further Rikuo's kind of coming of age odyssey with taking the reins of his clan and bonding with them more coupled with some revelations of his past and whatnot. It felt like there was a lot going on and so much tension that just kept thrilling me. I only wish we got more seasons and perhaps an extra arc before the final arc in the manga as well as an extension of the final arc due to the manga getting cut a bit prematurely. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Another thing that should be mentioned: These DVDs are the censored TV broadcast version instead of the uncensored Japanese home video version. The scene with Awashima in the hot springs is edited out, whereas in the Japanese release the nudity is in tact.

Why Viz chose to use the broadcast version for their home release is unknown, but this is strikingly similar to FUNimation's Sankarea release which suffered from many of the same issues.
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:16 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Another thing that should be mentioned: These DVDs are the censored TV broadcast version instead of the uncensored Japanese home video version. The scene with Awashima in the hot springs is edited out, whereas in the Japanese release the nudity is in tact.

Why Viz chose to use the broadcast version for their home release is unknown, but this is strikingly similar to FUNimation's Sankarea release which suffered from many of the same issues.

With that said, I'm surprised the American rating is TV-MA. Even without the nudity it still only warrants a TV-14 I'd say given that it's mostly just blood and mild language.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:20 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Another thing that should be mentioned: These DVDs are the censored TV broadcast version instead of the uncensored Japanese home video version..

Is this true? And you mean both dvd and bd?

SpacemanHardy wrote:
...but this is strikingly similar to FUNimation's Sankarea release which suffered from many of the same issues.

That was because they had gotten wrong materials from the licensors, and subsequently sent out replacement discs. After the Vampire Bund controversy, I highly doubt they'd censor anything intentionally.

I honestly wouldn't believe a publisher would intentionally cripple a release in this day and age, but if Viz has, then I feel sorry for those who got the US release...
If this really is the case, wonder why there's not been more uproar over it, as apparently the release has already been out for several months?...
ccChuey123

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

SpacemanHardy wrote:
...but this is strikingly similar to FUNimation's Sankarea release which suffered from many of the same issues.

That was because they had gotten wrong materials from the licensors, and subsequently sent out replacement discs. After the Vampire Bund controversy, I highly doubt they'd censor anything intentionally.

I honestly wouldn't believe a publisher would intentionally cripple a release in this day and age, but if Viz has, then I feel sorry for those who got the US release...
If this really is the case, wonder why there's not been more uproar over it, as apparently the release has already been out for several months?...

There was no replacement discs and there has been no mention of any unedited release.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quote
@ccChuey123

Uuh... That's bad if true. The last posts in that thread are from October last year so they should have had some activity in getting the uncensored release out by now. Anyone have any updates on it?
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:08 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

Goddammit Viz Mad
Are you sure? Can someone confirm?

I had asked about this prior to the announcement of the home video release when they aired S2 on Neon Alley in another thread but no one seemed to noticed, so I never got a definitive answer. I bought the first season hoping Viz would not pull this shit for the second season. The same thing happened with their latest DBZ omnibus manga re-release, claiming it and marketing it as uncut when it was in fact, still censored.

Angel'sArcanum wrote:
With that said, I'm surprised the American rating is TV-MA. Even without the nudity it still only warrants a TV-14 I'd say given that it's mostly just blood and mild language.

If it were Sentai it would have remained TV-14 with the mild nudity, likewise Aniplex and Media Blasters. But given that Viz changed the rating from first season to the second season suggests that Viz anticipated this so I'm hoping it was a mistake. If it was a mistake, how the censoring escaped being noticed during production or QA like Sankarea boggles my mind.

Just noticed you're in Canada. Definitely different norms. I think literally everything except hentai there remains TV-14 Surprised
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the C+ rating, but that didn't stop me from enjoying it a lot. I really liked Hagoromo Gitsune, but it kinda felt like she was too good a villain for this show.
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:30 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

Just noticed you're in Canada. Definitely different norms. I think literally everything except hentai there remains TV-14 Surprised

Yeah, I was mostly accounting for American ratings there; the gap in Canadian ratings is pretty steep. For home media it's G, PG, 14A, 18A and R (rarely seen) and TV is C (children), G, C8 (8 and older), PG, 14+ and 18+. With that said, a lot of things fall under the 14A category even if it pushes it due to the large gap in ages, but you are correct in that I don't think I've seen an anime with an 18A sticker on it (granted I don't watch/purchase hentai, so I wouldn't know there). I do think I may have seen Ghost in the Shell: SAC have an 18+ rating when it was broadcasting, but that was a few years back.

Last edited by Angel'sArcanum on Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:54 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Goddammit Viz Mad
Are you sure? Can someone confirm?

Animated Ink is reviewing it for the Fandom Post, and confirmed it on his Twitter:

https://twitter.com/AnimatedInk/status/438534806218227712

CCAnime also reviewed it, and confirmed the edit as well:

https://twitter.com/CCAnimeOfficial/status/436269851565236224
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:12 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the confirmation. Just terrible Crying or Very sad
It's unfortunate those reviewers also overlooked it Confused
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:04 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Thanks for the confirmation. Just terrible Crying or Very sad
It's unfortunate those reviewers also overlooked it Confused

Well to be fair, Ink's review hasn't come out yet.

I'm sure he'll mention something about the edits when he gets around to publishing it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1