• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Animation Appreciation

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:29 pm Reply with quote
When I first saw the title "Animation Appreciation", I thought this article would have to do with The Wind Rises and that whole controversy with the Oscars. But instead, it's about Space Dandy (and Kick-Heart, which got a few under-the-radar showings on Toonami last year), and that makes me much happier. Very Happy

Last edited by Blatch on Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Is it weird that I find Gulliver's Travels to be a bit creepy? A lot of those really old cartoons from the 1930s and 40s, including the ones from Max Fleishcher, just rub me the wrong way. I don't know what it is about them, but the music, the characters' eyeballs, voices (especially the really deep ones), and so much about them used to give me nightmares. I've never minded Popeye, Betty Boop, Tom & Jerry, and early Looney Tunes, but most pre-1945 cartoons are quite difficult for me to watch, which is very weird because I love live-action movies of that era.

I didn't know Space Dandy was renewed for a season 2. I hope we also get that early on Toonami.
Ovan~the~Rebirth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:16 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I didn't know Space Dandy was renewed for a season 2. I hope we also get that early on Toonami.

Yeah, I'm pumped to see it being successful in both Japan and the US.
However I'm a little confused. Wasn't Dandy supposed to be 24 episode series in the first place?

Theres a Crunchyroll article (below) that makes it sounds like Dandy was only supposed to run for a single cour (12-13eps) because its ending in April and that the 2nd season would be from episode 14 and up? So which is it? I'm confused... Anime dazed

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/03/05-1/break-blade-apparently-replacing-space-dandy-on-japanese-tv
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Ovan~the~Rebirth wrote:

However I'm a little confused. Wasn't Dandy supposed to be 24 episode series in the first place?

Theres a Crunchyroll article (below) that makes it sounds like Dandy was only supposed to run for a single cour (12-13eps) because its ending in April and that the 2nd season would be from episode 14 and up? So which is it? I'm confused... Anime dazed

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/03/05-1/break-blade-apparently-replacing-space-dandy-on-japanese-tv

Supposedly, it's a split-cour series, and the additional episodes will come out later in the year.
Ovan~the~Rebirth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Blatch wrote:
Ovan~the~Rebirth wrote:

Supposedly, it's a split-cour series, and the additional episodes will come out later in the year.

So the second season then isn't the second cour correct? If so I really do hope that the second season does premiere on Toonami just like the first one has. It's been nice to watch a brand new anime in English every Saturday night.
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:07 pm Reply with quote
This article reminded me that I went to AnimeNext when Yamamoto, Shimizu, and Kenji Kamiyama were guests...and somehow did not go to ANY of their panels. I can't pass up opportunities like this.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Space Dandy is awesome and what makes it even more awesome is reading Ben Ettinger's reviews every week.They are extremely informative for a person such as myself that it isn't very familiar with animators.I wish that more people in our fandom cared about animation,sometimes I wonder why the hell are people even watching anime if they so easily ignore it.If you are in it just for stories read books or something,I am sure that there is bigger quantity of well written stories found within literature than there is in anime.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I too wish that the fandom had more appreciation for and understanding of animation, myself included. It's all too common these days to see people say, "these character designs and art styles are different from what I'm used to in current anime, therefore it's old and outdated animation."
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:22 pm Reply with quote
This is a great article. I always loved animation as a medium, and really taking advantage of that medium is where the joy comes from. It's why stuff that's slice of life seems so...pointless, since the same can be done in live action.

To quote Bruce Dickenson-
"Explore the space.". And Dandy does a masterful job of it.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I too wish that the fandom had more appreciation for and understanding of animation, myself included.

I don't think most people realize that, in many cases, the artwork used to make these productions is for sale. On any given day, you can find thousands of cels and sketches for sale on Yahoo Japan, Mandarake and even E-bay. While you'll need a deputy service to us YJ, Mandarake will ship worldwide. Most production artwork is really reasonable; You can buy sketches and cels sometimes for a couple dollars from series like Bleach, Naruto and Sailor Moon.

It's a nifty feeling to hold a piece of artwork that was used to make your favorite series. They're one of a kind items.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:03 pm Reply with quote
^ I didn't think Bleach had cels. Wasn't that show animated digitally? It's not quite the same thing with a cel-animated show with actual hand-painted-celluloids (phased out by the early-2000s). I own two cels from the 80s Vampire Princess Miyu OVA (got 'em for only $20 on ebay too), and they each came with two things: the hand-painted-celluloid and the paper sketch (that was xeroxed onto the cel, which was then painted by hand) complete with notes in full Japanese kanji. I believe digitally-animated productions only have the last sheet that's scanned into a computer, and colored/placed into the picture digitally

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
I don't think most people realize that, in many cases, the artwork used to make these productions is for sale. On any given day, you can find thousands of cels and sketches for sale on Yahoo Japan, Mandarake and even E-bay. While you'll need a deputy service to us YJ, Mandarake will ship worldwide. Most production artwork is really reasonable; You can buy sketches and cels sometimes for a couple dollars from series like Bleach, Naruto and Sailor Moon.

It's a nifty feeling to hold a piece of artwork that was used to make your favorite series. They're one of a kind items.

Don't blow the cover for the coolest collecting pastime that nobody knows about. I'm having too much fun...

Sincerely,
Someone who bought one Azumanga Daioh and two Eureka Seven gengas today Wink

All kidding aside, finding Mandarake took my anime experience to another level. I know credit lists are long for every anime but seeing all the little things that go toward creating it (storyboards, setteis, scripts, etc.) really put it all in perspective.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:22 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
^ I didn't think Bleach had cels. Wasn't that show animated digitally?

It was animated digitally from hand drawn sketches and painted backgrounds. However, there were many post production cels that were created for the series. They were somewhat mass produced (meaning, there's probably 100 or so of each version). They come with a color copy background (or a sheet of black paper).

If you want artwork solely used in production for Bleach, there are lots of sketches (douga, genga and layouts) and backgrounds (the background is scanned and then the CG characters move on top of it) available.

Other series, like Vampire Knight, have post production cels where only one of each scene was created. Sometimes these come with the original sketches and backgrounds as well, while other times they just come with a color copy background and a sketch that was reproduced from the original screenshot.

ColonelYao47 wrote:
Don't blow the cover for the coolest collecting pastime that nobody knows about. I'm having too much fun...

Sincerely,
Someone who bought one Azumanga Daioh and two Eureka Seven gengas today Wink

I know, right? Y'all better stay away from my Hakuouki sketches Wink

As much as I'd love to keep it as insular as possible to avoid paying higher prices, I also realize that unless more people collect what we do, this artwork could easily be destroyed. I'd rather more people collect and properly preserve it instead of seeing it torched (as some animation companies have done).

Edit: Here's a link to a post production Naruto cel that, as of this posting, is for sale. http://smjsearch.com/cgi-bin/b.cgi?f108367532

The same company that made the Naruto post production cels also made the Bleach ones.

Last edited by Cutiebunny on Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zump

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see an article that focuses on the technical side of animation (and even gives a shout-out to Anipages). Unfortunately, I think most people only expect an animated production to have good animation if it's a theatrical production. With TV, no one seems to care.

That's what makes Space Dandy a breath of fresh air. It easily has the best production values of any cartoon airing on TV today (unless someone can correct me on this). It's also refreshing to see a show with a sense of style, as opposed to being incredibly milquetoast and bland. Despite a bumpy start, the show has found its voice, with the past few episodes being consistently solid.
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:

Edit: Here's a link to a post production Naruto cel that, as of this posting, is for sale. http://smjsearch.com/cgi-bin/b.cgi?f108367532

The same company that made the Naruto post production cels also made the Bleach ones.

I never knew how to fully access Yahoo Japan auctions without knowing Japanese. Thank you for the tip...

*Cut to six months later, where I'll probably be bankrupt for assembling the Frick Collection equivalent of anime collections.*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3