• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New "open links in new tab" addition doesn't seem to be working properly.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:29 pm Reply with quote
"Open links in new tab" addition to the encyclopedia has been over-writing other tabs that I already have open. For example, if I have rightstuf open in one tab, and I decide to open a link from the encyclopedia, it will automatically over-write my rightstuf tab. I tried fiddling around with my browser settings, but I think it might be on your end. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:35 pm Reply with quote
It happens to me too. Using Chrome.

My workaround is ctrl-clicking all the time.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I've had this problem, too, but not on this site. Some sites that open pop-ups/new tabs/etc, it's coded to open up in a specific window/tab/frame/etc. I remember (vaguely) from my web design class back in college that there's a way to make it open in a non-pre-existing window/tab/frame/etc, but I don't remember how to do it.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Its oddly comforting to see I'm not the only one. I've just been right clicking and opening from there to circumvent it for now. I'm also using Chrome, I hope that isn't part of the problem. :/

Quote:
I remember (vaguely) from my web design class back in college that there's a way to make it open in a non-pre-existing window/tab/frame/etc, but I don't remember how to do it.

Let me know if you remember!
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:32 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
"Open links in new tab" addition to the encyclopedia has been over-writing other tabs that I already have open. For example, if I have rightstuf open in one tab, and I decide to open a link from the encyclopedia, it will automatically over-write my rightstuf tab. I tried fiddling around with my browser settings, but I think it might be on your end. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

AFAIK there is no "Open links in new tab" setting on ANN, so it must be something with your browser. When I click on links in the Encyclopedia they don't open a new tab or window.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

AFAIK there is no "Open links in new tab" setting on ANN, so it must be something with your browser. When I click on links in the Encyclopedia they don't open a new tab or window.

Okay. Interesting. It just started happening for me over the last few days on this site. Before it would just open in the same tab. I'll have to go back and look at my browser settings again and see whats up. Thanks!
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I've had this problem, too, but not on this site. Some sites that open pop-ups/new tabs/etc, it's coded to open up in a specific window/tab/frame/etc. I remember (vaguely) from my web design class back in college that there's a way to make it open in a non-pre-existing window/tab/frame/etc, but I don't remember how to do it.

Pre-tabs (although I assume they work the same way) it was defined by the target attribute of the anchor tag. target="name" would open in a window named "name" while target="_blank" would always open in a new window.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Yup, that's what I'm thinking of. I used the target a lot 'because I like iframes.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Dan:

As far as I can tell, it only happens when you click on a whole-site search result.

animenewsnetwork.com/search?q=yamada

If I click on results from that page, it overwrites the earliest ANN tab I have open instead of opening in the same window.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:46 am Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
As far as I can tell, it only happens when you click on a whole-site search result.

Ah, now that's useful to know. I should be able to fix it shortly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1