• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2013 Doraemon Film's Japanese TV Airing Gets Censored

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hawkwing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:17 am Reply with quote
Ridiculous, why censor at all? Confused
partysmores

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:26 am Reply with quote
Buy the uncensored BD for all the erotic panty exposure! Very Happy
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:32 am Reply with quote
What's news in this?
Lolis are getting censored, or worse, cut out everywhere.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:39 am Reply with quote
doesn't matter. Nobody watch Doraemon for panty shot, so those people don't really care.
people who like to watch panty shot don't watch Doraemon.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:44 am Reply with quote
Heheheh, adult animators trying to get their fetish on a kids show.
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:49 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Nobody watch Doraemon for panty shot

Uh huh, sure.. but it's funny to see Doraemon get the 'BEAM O LIGHT' type censorship like an otaku anime on a TV airing.

enurtsol wrote:
Heheheh, adult animators trying to get their fetish on a kids show.

Been doing it in Doraemon for decades now. Every movie has an obligatory Shizuka nudity/panty shot/swimsuit fanservice moment but I'm glad they established those will stick around. Got to protect that national treasure anime, after all Wink Wonder if the new CG film will carry on the tradition.
StormVanguard

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:03 am Reply with quote
The day Beelzebubs rear end and family jewels get censored i will be okay with this.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:03 am Reply with quote
Just plain weird that the movie gets censored, yet the tv show doesn't(although I'm guessing the tv ones aren't as bad). Still plain weird to see the "beams of light" censors on a kids show.
StormVanguard

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:14 am Reply with quote
tangytangerine wrote:
Just plain weird that the movie gets censored, yet the tv show doesn't(although I'm guessing the tv ones aren't as bad). Still plain weird to see the "beams of light" censors on a kids show.

They're just sexualizing something that isn't sexualized in the first place. Rolling Eyes
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:17 am Reply with quote
StormVanguard wrote:
The day Beelzebubs rear end and family jewels get censored i will be okay with this.

Double standards exist, and getting stronger.
Little boys showed their dicks and balls on TV in at least two shows this season.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:22 am Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:
StormVanguard wrote:

Double standards exist, and getting stronger.
Little boys showed their dicks and balls on TV in at least two shows this season.

The problem is I'd imagine those are shows targeted at older demographics, or at the very least, in a late time slot. Apparently to most networks today, those shots are a no go in kids anime.

Anyways, stuff like this actually bothers me that the network felt the need they actually had to censor this. This has never been a problem before, especially when it was okay to show this in theaters, then have a problem showing this on TV in Japan. That, and it's ridiculous to see censorship often used designated for late night anime in a children movie.

As pointed out before, Doraemon has had fanservice shots like this before, which of most have been harmless in my book. If anything, most of these shots are hilarious more than they are provocative.

I'm really wondering if that bill being passed is not the only reason for anime becoming more toned down as the years go on, rather how much more conservative and more sensitive to the west they've become on these issues.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:41 am Reply with quote
Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:

Wonder if the new CG film will carry on the tradition.

Two words: impenetrable skirt. Very Happy

"Directable Physics Engine recreates 2D anime stylizations in 3D"
StormVanguard

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:47 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:

Wonder if the new CG film will carry on the tradition.

Two words: impenetrable skirt. Very Happy

"Directable Physics Engine recreates 2D anime stylizations in 3D"

Quote:
it's Art when you can't see anything!
shiranehito

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:48 am Reply with quote
I think it's just unnecessary censorship that makes things (which was practically safe) into "imagine what happened behind the censor!" NSFW. Honestly. Shizuka-chan's pantyshot is like usual and perfectly safe scene in Doraemon. In the manga they don't even censor her bathing scene and the boys hanging p〇n〇s. Come on. No one's gonna fap to that kind of scene unless he (or she -who knows-) is really really sick. But who am I to judge others? Laughing
Parse Error

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:17 am Reply with quote
ChibiGoku wrote:
I'm really wondering if that bill being passed is not the only reason for anime becoming more toned down as the years go on, rather how much more conservative and more sensitive to the west they've become on these issues.

Not really, just look at other issues such as sexism or whaling. It's as though they only care about foreigners' opinions when these happen to agree with certain politicians and their supporters. It's more of a convenient excuse than an actual driving force.

A more important factor by far is the chilling effect caused by this legislation. While it may be easy for certain people to cheer about because the impact it's had on content they object to anyway, it also means the industry now has to be more careful to not offend anyone, so as to avoid inviting even stricter regulations affecting a broader range of subjects.

The sad thing is that many people outside Japan fell in love with anime because it had so much more creative freedom than the entertainment options produced in their own countries. If things continue in this direction, eventually there won't be any compelling reason to seek out anime over anime-influenced animation from other sources, and it will become the domain of retro hipsters. Unfortunately, elderly reactionaries are only going to become a larger proportion of the Japanese population as time goes on, so a gradual decline into something with content and themes similar to those of current U.S. children's cartoons is far more likely than a return to form.

I know many people will dismiss this as absurd doomsday thinking, and indeed I myself certainly hope my fears turn out to be nothing more than just that. However, precedents tend to have unintended consequences over the long term. Years ago, I would have thought somebody was being ridiculously paranoid if they claimed things would one day reach the point they have now, and yet here we are.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2