• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Irregular at Magic High School Anime's 30-Second Ad Posted

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pariston_Hill

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:02 pm Reply with quote
The CM looks great Very Happy
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:44 pm Reply with quote
So, this is the new Aniplex anime. From the ad this anime looks like a typical otaku series. I hope Irregular at Magic High School is at least good. I have not been impressed by the other 2014 Aniplex's titles I have watched, Zvezda and Nisekoi.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:40 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
From the ad this anime looks like a typical otaku series.

I assure you it isn't. There's barely any fanservice and typical 'harem hijinx' are virtually non-existant. The sister having the hots for her brother is about the extent of it.
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

I assure you it isn't. There's barely any fanservice and typical 'harem hijinx' are virtually non-existant. The sister having the hots for her brother is about the extent of it.

HAHAHAHAHA

For some reason that struck me funny. I really hope there isn't too much otaku shit because the premise seems interesting. I just thought it was just a funny indication of how far things have gone that something can have the imouto-love thing and still not be on the far end of the otaku spectrum.

It's funny because to your average person, I'd think that something with those elements in it would illicit a pretty strong 'lolol japan' response.
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Incestuous feelings.

Because anime I guess.
Prunus Trick

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Mahouka is pretty damn … prude, I guess? As you can see from the character designs, every bit of flesh is covered. Bare shanks are almost the epitome of fanservice in Mahouka (and are celebrated as such), it’s very light on harem elements too, most girls have or get their respective partners. Very monogamous.

Galap wrote:
It's funny because to your average person, I'd think that something with those elements in it would illicit a pretty strong 'lolol japan' response.

Mahouka is totally not (tm) incest because she isn’t romantically interested in her brother. Really. (lol)

But yeah, when did that siscon stuff become so mainstream?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
I just thought it was just a funny indication of how far things have gone that something can have the imouto-love thing and still not be on the far end of the otaku spectrum.

Well, I don't think there was ever a point when wincest alone made something an otaku show. I mean, I don't think anyone would call Koi Kaze an otaku show.

Most 'otaku' shows people have such disdain for are ones that pile on such elements. She's not just a sister in love with her brother, she's also a ninja robot maid nurse cat girl from the future who's clumsy and bad at cooking.

While Mahouka isn't completely free of such elements (a robot maid does appear eventually), it's not piled on heavy and the stuff that's there is mostly in the background. It's more concerned with world building and plot than it is who the main guy is going to end up with.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:32 pm Reply with quote
@Vaisaga

Thanks for spoiling some elements of the set up in this anime. Not everyone likes to look at pirated scanlations of light novels and manga online.
Instinctz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:34 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
@Vaisaga

Thanks for spoiling some elements of the set up in this anime. Not everyone likes to look at pirated scanlations of light novels and manga online.

anything that s/he has spoiled is incredibly minor and you likely won't see in the first season of this anime.
with the exception of the sister having the hots for the brother, but hell, you get to see that...during the first episode alone.
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:40 pm Reply with quote
@instinctz:

Not that it bothered me in this specific instance, but that's the problem with spoilers: it's often just as bad knowing what isn't important as knowing what is important.

Also they can be misrepresentative, especially when it's coming from a version of the story in a different medium. Maybe in the anime we don't see that the sister has the hots for the brother until later.

Anyway, I personally don't like spoilers mostly because they're often misrepresentative and give you preconceptions about the thing, rather than the mere revelation about what happens.

@vaisaga:

Yeah, the otaku shows that I have disdain for are the ones that seem to have the harems and incest and submissive clumsy robot maid catgirls as the main point of the thing, where those elements are supposed to be the main or only draw of the show.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Uh... What did I spoil, exactly? I gave no specifics.

If it's about Miyuki's feelings...

ANN's plot summary wrote:
Siblings Tatsuya (Yūichi Nakamura) and Miyuki Shiba (Saori Hayami) are designated as the Weed and Bloom, respectively. Tatsuya is a young man who always has a farsighted expression, and Miyuki is a young woman who feels far more for her brother than sibling love. Since the day the two entered the gates of the elite school, the establishment's peaceful days have become chaotic.
Rosalena

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:57 pm Reply with quote
This is question for those who are familiar with the source material:

What are the gauzy pieces of fabric on the girls' uniforms for? They seem to have patterns (snowflakes, flowers, etc.) which suggests that they serve to distinguish the wearer in some way.
Instinctz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Rosalena wrote:

What are the gauzy pieces of fabric on the girls' uniforms for? They seem to have patterns (snowflakes, flowers, etc.) which suggests that they serve to distinguish the wearer in some way.

pretty sure that is an anime original. i don't remember that in the novels.
but i will say this, you see snowflakes on miyukis because she is good with ice magic.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Instinctz wrote:
Rosalena wrote:

No, they were in the novels. Though I wasn't aware they had such patterns on them until I took a closer look just now.

I don't recall if they were specifically explained somewhere.
Instinctz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Instinctz wrote:
Rosalena wrote:

No, they were in the novels. Though I wasn't aware they had such patterns on them until I took a closer look just now.

I don't recall if they were specifically explained somewhere.

looking back at the pictures, yep they were there. but they were never explained at all that i can recall of.

sorry we can't help you rosalena, but i just have to think they are purely decorative.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2