• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How much does your love for a character influence your efforts to find H of them?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:33 pm Reply with quote
The disclaimers: I read the rules and it doesn't look like this breaks any. Also, I know full well there's a hentai recommendations topic but this isn't for recommendations. Lastly, if you are against hentai content as a whole, this topic will likely just anger you so it's likely best if you move on.. Sorry.

I just started thinking about this after learning a friend and I have polar opposite opinions on the matter. We both seek out H doujins about equally. He sees H doujin and fanart of a series he likes as spitting in the face of a good series and sets up intricate blacklist combos to ensure he doesn't need to see it on certain sites. I see it as a dream come true, jumping through hoops and trudging through sites I can't even read just to find that one elusive Ar Tonelico or BRS doujin.

So for those of us who bother with H stuff at all, how does your love of a character factor in to your doujin/fanart routine?

edit: Switched "series" to "character" just because Touma made a great point. I often look for specific characters for series I've never even seen. I don't even know the personalities of the Idol Master or Kantai Collection girls I have doujins for.

Last edited by Bango on Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:18 pm Reply with quote
It is not really my love for a series, but rather my love for certain characters. The difference may be subtle but there is a difference.

But my prurient interest in the characters definitely does inspire me to seek out hentai doujinshi and fan art featuring those characters.
For me the hentai material just makes the characters, and the show, more attractive.

I do read other doujinshi, but I am much more likely to try something with characters that I like.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Bango wrote:
I just started thinking about this after learning a friend and I have polar opposite opinions on the matter. We both seek out H doujins about equally. He sees H doujin and fanart of a series he likes as spitting in the face of a good series and sets up intricate blacklist combos to ensure he doesn't need to see it on certain sites.

What does he look for, then? Shows he hasn't seen, or just original adult manga?

Anyways, I'm in the same boat as you. I value emotional attachment above all, so stuff featuring characters I don't know doesn't do much for me. Which can suck at times. I see all these nice looking girls from series like Touhou or Kantai Collection, or PreCure but I can't fully appreciate them since I haven't properly gotten to know them.

In the case of original adult manga, they need to be translated for me to enjoy them for the same reasons.

Of course there are characters I simply have no attraction to or ones that are strictly off limits. Usually in the latter case those characters are the ones who get the most art, such as Hina from Papakiki and Renge from Non Non Biyori. And that's terrible.

I can understand your friend's position, though. What with all the gang rape doujinshi out there it's not nice to see a character you like get brutally beaten and raped and mind broken. Depending on how bad it gets even I will avoid it. But in general I merely use the images to fuel my own imagination. So even if on the page they're being raped, in my mind they're making sweet love to another person of my choosing.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Back when I was in the craze of actually tracking down H-content for anime and video game characters (like, a decade or so ago), it was more so out of an emotional attachment from the exposure I had to said characters. But then my tastes evolved to the point of considering all H material to be an actual form of "art" (from a technical perspective) as opposed to just convenient fap-material that happened to also be a parody of those characters.

It seemed like the more H-anime I tried watching, the art and animation felt so cheap a lot of the time, that it was more of a turn-off than turn-on at one point. And I applied the same kind of mentality to doujin and fan art.

I hardly even watch anime or play video games these days and rely on pics/vids of real people for my occasional self-indulgences, so I'm not even sure what I'd gauge my "effort level" at anymore. If I did go out of my way to obtain such material, I'd probably be very picky about it and try to find anything that either looks very close to the original designs or one that was unique enough to a particular artist that I liked.
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:50 pm Reply with quote
One thing that I did not think of before is that it usually turns me off if the character design is much different from the original.
My reaction can range from just not being interested, if the character looks good but is not recognizable as the original, to being really annoyed if the character is distorted to the point of being grotesque.

I especially do not like huge FF breasts on a character that originally is a B-cup, at the most.
Making them futanari characters does not bother me as long as they otherwise look right.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Ditto. The key really is getting them to look as close as possible, though there is some leeway. For example, when an anime comes out based on a visual novel, the art style is usually different from the game, but I'll still check out the HCG anyways.

I do wonder why more official hentai isn't made. Otaku spend a ton of money are nearly nude stuff as it is, so why not get more money from doujinshi? Heck, Godannar's second season was partially funded by an official hentai doujinshi. Of course I'd never want the events depicted to be canonical, though.
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Matching the original - This actually came up when I got a pack of Nanoha doujins by Power Slide. While I admit his art is suspect, I was rather surprised to see the character's personalities completely changed. It was off-putting. Also, while not mandatory, having a believable scenario is important to me. Kouda Tomahiro and Inu are good at this.

"Official" doujins - This has always completely fascinated me and I have no clue why more official creators don't do it. Many of them have roots in making hentai, likely have a stash of their own stuff in their cabinet. Saving face is important but for something that goes really borderline anyway, I figure why not release something at comiket? But it so seldom happens.

I think Keito Koume did a Spice and Wolf doujin too. Don't quote me on that.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:34 pm Reply with quote
It's funny because in some cases an artist will make a hentai doujinshi of series, then get brought on to do an official manga of that series.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:11 am Reply with quote
And there are even a handful of anime titles that originally started as doujinshi, though off the top of my head I don't remember which ones.

As for the original question, I base my decisions on what doujinshi I read almost entirely on artistic aesthetics. I will tolerate lesser artistry in regular anime/manga if the story is good, but not for something where the visuals are the whole point; make the girls/women look attractive to me or I won't get past the cover. And not only don't I like it when characters are given much larger breasts than their original forms in doujinshi, but I also don't like massively oversized breasts in general. I am much more a fan of petite and medium builds - and yes, that applies IRL, too.

Favorites for source material only occasionally play into this. There are a few certain titles and characters that I can't bring myself to read hentai doujinshi for, I think possibly because I respect the characters too much. Holo from Spice and Wolf is the best example of this (yes, even though she prances around naked on a few occasions in the source material); heck, I even went to the effort of specifically tracking down the one wall scroll featuring her that didn't show her naked. Belldandy from AMG/OMG is another; while I do have both a poster and a wall scroll of Belldandy in a swimsuit, both have her very tastefully-attired and posed. (Now, Urd would be a different story altogether, since she is specifically emphasized as being voluptuously sexy.) I won't touch DBZ doujins, either, but that's more because I don't find any of that franchise's character designs to be even remotely sexy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I love how this topic actually exists. I am not alone.

In my case I have just ended up not reading anything Kentai or Touhou as I don't know the source material and thus feel more confused and like I have no idea what to think. I tried but it just put me off. But often I would choose something that was a one off rather than something part of a series I had not seen, sometimes I have ended up getting into something which I then looked into once I watched it.

I do like to look up stuff that I really enjoy, I might actually try and track some down like I did when I finished My-HiME (we are not judging right) that was a few years old, but I was a little confused over characters feeling different. Sometimes they get really messed up, but being a character in a show I like can make that.... something I like.

But like Key said, there are some that I can't bring myself to look of certain characters. Curiously his examples if Holo and Belldandy that I end up passing every time. And then there are those times and end up feeling horrible.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:35 pm Reply with quote
If I don't look at stuff it's mostly due to a lack of attraction more than anything. Respect isn't an issue for me, because in my head it's no less respectful than a husband making love to his wife.

Anyone else here go so far as to actually spend money on this stuff? I often get works from various digital stores (I'm not risking bringing anything physical into the country). I just picked up a Strike the Blood CG set last night, which was great because that show doesn't have nearly enough content. I've also been known to give my friends money so they can buy and scan me stuff.
Bango

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:29 pm Reply with quote
No worries, Dusky. Nobody here should judge anyway, but especially not in a topic like this.

The only Horo H doujin I have is actually well drawn and well written, and I can believe those two were screwing off camera. So she's fair game to me I guess.

Belldandy is an oddity. While her purity (many of us old fogie's first anime girl loves) likely would stop me from looking at doujins of her I wouldn't know because all of the ones I have seen turn her into a 2 dollar piercing-covered schwartzwald-muffed skank, and turn me off in that way.

Actually, all my "off-limits" characters seem to be more about me not liking their design more than wanting to keep their sanctity intact. So long as the art is good and the character is good I think anyone I like is free game to me.

Vaisaga wrote:
Anyone else here go so far as to actually spend money on this stuff?

I've bought a few digital doujins via a proxy to support artists I really appreciated and I bought 2 Nanoha h doujins by accident while in Tenjin (they were shrinkwrapped. Contents unknown. Super glad customs didn't check them)

My first physically owned H doujin was actually free. I got a free Xenosaga h-doujin from a site I used to buy shitajiki from. They had a free offer but were out of prizes so when they asked me if I wanted to cancel my huge order I said "I'm currently big on the following series <insert> so anything of comparable value from those series will be fine." So they sent me an H doujin. Go figure. It wasn't even good.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:51 pm Reply with quote
So far as Belldandy goes, I'm just not into her. She's just kinda... eh. Though the only Oh My Goddess I've seen is the original OVA + Movie. I'm more interested in S*coughcough*...

Holo I have no qualms about. I have quite a few doujinshi of her. Though she's far from my favourite. What I really want is Nora stuff, but it's usually all just Holo.

Ironically I probably have more Holo on my wall than Key does Razz I got the Spice and Wolf 2010 wall calendar and each page is taped up on my wall (7 total). Only one has her naked, though my favourite is this one because I like exposed shoulders~

Girls that don't do it for me are usually the ultra tough chicks who, while perhaps physically attractive, lack femininity. Examples are Black Lagoon's Revy, GitS's Major, Nanoha's Signum (though she has a lot of exceptions), and Attack on Titan's Mikasa. While Mikasa does have a feminine side, that six pack of her kills it for me (there's a funny doujinshi where it kills it for Eren too). While I still like the above as characters, they just don't grab my attention as members of the opposite sex.

Bango wrote:
I've bought a few digital doujins via a proxy to support artists I really appreciated and I bought 2 Nanoha h doujins by accident while in Tenjin (they were shrinkwrapped. Contents unknown. Super glad customs didn't check them)

Is the proxy necessary? I just get stuff from the sites (are we allowed to name them?) directly.

Also, did you not notice the Adults Only labels on the books? Laughing
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I feel compelled to say that that if I like a character then a Hentai of her would be a real turn-off for me; and if I dislike a character, then I probably wouldn't care one way or the other in the first place.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Anyone else here go so far as to actually spend money on this stuff? I often get works from various digital stores (I'm not risking bringing anything physical into the country).

Not on doujinshi, although that's more because of a limited budget during most of my time of interest in it (i.e. the last 3-4 years) than a lack of interest in doing so. I have bought several ero games over the years, though, as well as some erotic, professionally-made cosplay pics. (A group of young ladies that I believe are somehow affiliated with DeviantART have had a booth a Gen Con - a major gaming 'con that I frequent - the last couple of years and have been peddling this. It's quality stuff, actually.) J-List is your friend for getting legal, translated ero games and adult books (as well as less x-rated Japanese imports) if anyone's so inclined.

Quote:
I just picked up a Strike the Blood CG set last night, which was great because that show doesn't have nearly enough content. I've also been known to give my friends money so they can buy and scan me stuff.

I am envious. I have been keeping an eye out for some good stuff from this series, as the female character designs in it are so gorgeous, but haven't seen any come up on the doujin sites I normally frequent.

Vaisaga wrote:
Ironically I probably have more Holo on my wall than Key does Razz I got the Spice and Wolf 2010 wall calendar and each page is taped up on my wall (7 total). Only one has her naked, though my favourite is this one because I like exposed shoulders~

Yeah, I did come across that one, but something about it - the pose or the art quality, maybe - didn't quite work for me. I ended up getting this one instead.

Quote:
Girls that don't do it for me are usually the ultra tough chicks who, while perhaps physically attractive, lack femininity. Examples are Black Lagoon's Revy, GitS's Major, Nanoha's Signum (though she has a lot of exceptions), and Attack on Titan's Mikasa. While Mikasa does have a feminine side, that six pack of her kills it for me (there's a funny doujinshi where it kills it for Eren too). While I still like the above as characters, they just don't grab my attention as members of the opposite sex.

Mostly agreed, which is why I've generally stayed away from Black Lagoon and AoT doujins. Don't know that I've ever encountered one featuring The Major, but I'm sure that they have to be out there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3