• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
YKK scanlations

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reeus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:40 am Reply with quote
Hi,

(first time poster. I hope this is the right place to ask)

I am a big fan of YKK (surprise, surprise). So far, I have found two scanlations. I found scanlation A some years ago. It's probably the older one. The scan quality of the first chapter is not so good. And then there's scanlation B.

There are some subtle differences in the translation, maybe one of you can judge which of them is closer to the Japanese text?

For example, chapter 5:

A: "Alpha was invited to the [...] meeting"
B: "I invited Alpha to a [...] meeting"

Translation B suggests the presence of a personal narrator.

In general, the sentences in translation A are longer (more words).
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I have been informed by tempest, himself, that while it's against the rules to request/link to fansubs/scans/etc. it's actually okay to discuss the little subtleties like translation quality or whatever, as long as you don't mention group names and where/how-to acquire, promote, or produce said material.

So I'm unlocking this thread and leaving the discussion of "translation semantics" to be open.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:07 am Reply with quote
someone should just license this already
Levitz9

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Authenticity in relation to the Japanese script is a fool's endeavor. The point of a translation isn't to make a work that's "authentic" (whatever people decide that means for the current ten minutes), it's to make a work readable while maintaining the spirit of the original script.

There's no "right" way to translate something. It's an art, not a science.
Brand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:58 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
someone should just license this already

Maybe we will see it digitally published but is very unlikely anyone will take the risk on physically publishing it. It's a long-ish series that is a bit older now, and slow placed slice of life. While, I do think it it is a quality title, I think it's chances have probably come and gone.

My friend is a translator and so we have had discussions on this topic many time. Translation is more like an art and there is no one true translation. A lot of translation is in part the translator's own writing skills. What words would best fit the meaning? What kind of sentence structure sounds the most natural? What kind of "voice" to give the characters. So, it can be very subjective.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:57 pm Reply with quote
ugh digital, becoming the bane of my life. If i wanted digital id go read scans, sad to say but i refuse to pay and have nothing to show for it and digital is too vulnerable to outside interference.
gsilver

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:10 pm Reply with quote
If YKK goes the croudfunding route, I'd invest quite a bit into it.

If someone has the contacts to get it off the ground, I want to help make it happen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1