• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Touka Gettan Anime Airing Episodes in Reverse Order

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:52 am Reply with quote
well this explains why everyone's so damned confused by it.
Akukaze

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:59 am Reply with quote
At least it sounds like they'll eventually get everything in there, YamiBou was missing, oh, just about all of the backstory. I wonder why they're just now confirming this, you'd think they'd want it out there before it started airing to get it some more attention. And is it really gonna be 26 episodes?

Whatever the case, I think I'll wait until it's done airing it and I can watch it in the proper order.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:04 am Reply with quote
This is a pretty bold move, if you ask me. Upon hearing this, though, I think I might check this one out. While it may not have a twist at the "end" like in Memento (loved Memento), it still would be interesting to watch this series backwards.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:13 am Reply with quote
I kind of knew it that the story is going backwards, and the recent episode released which was episode 5 made it very apparent. spoiler[In the end of episode 5, Momoka was about to get captured, and then around the beginning of episode 4, they showed her already caught with her clothes already torn up and such (I am damn curious what off-screen struggle Momoka had to go through, and my mind already went far deep in the gutter Embarassed ).]
grooven

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:49 am Reply with quote
Um yeah duh, if you are watching the show you would know that already 0_o
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:05 pm Reply with quote
What's new, beside the public acknowledgment of what fans have been suspecting, is that the reverse airing will continue for all 26 episodes. The official blog specifically point out that the first episode is essentially the 26th.

Until now, viewers didn't know if the reverse ordering will continue for only part of the series, or only even just the first few epsodes. It also makes it a remarkable feat of storytelling, going a step further from what Memento did.
hara

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Reminds me of the Suzumiya anime.
But this sounds interesting, I might check this anime out now. Too bad its animation looks so dull.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Suzumiya was nearly random though in the episode showing (although if you take the episode numbers in the order they were shown and write them out, it gives a special numerical number). This one definitely takes the cake on the reverse order showing. I thought I was going nuts for the first few episodes. I was thinking to myself "huh? did I miss an episode?" every time I watched it. Now I know why.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:33 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
well this explains why everyone's so damned confused by it.

Don't you know if you want Eva backwards everything makes sense...and by backwards I mean watch and listen everything in reverse.
shh227

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I kind of knew this since episode 2 but what is this 26 epsiodes? I thought there were only going to be 12 or 13 which is good now. The animations look pretty good too.
Saga_Darklight

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I knew something was wrong with that series...
But wait a minute... Kino's Journey was told the same way....
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:40 pm Reply with quote
shh227 wrote:
I kind of knew this since episode 2 but what is this 26 epsiodes? I thought there were only going to be 12 or 13 which is good now. The animations look pretty good too.

The episode count surprised me. I like the series (even if I don't know what the hell is going on) but I don't know if it's one I could watch for 26 episodes... I thought it was going to be 12 or 13 Shocked

hara wrote:
But this sounds interesting, I might check this anime out now. Too bad its animation looks so dull.

Wait... you think Touka Gettan has "dull" animation? I have to disagree. It's the best looking show I've seen this season.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:48 pm Reply with quote
And here I thought, basking in my ignorance, that Touka Gettan was some uninspired romance-oriented fusion/knockoff of Tsukihime and HanTsuki, another cheap production buried in the shadow of superior works, that would just fade away into the bin of forgotten anime once it's finished its run.

But to air the entire series backwards? That's a bold move, and hardly something I can attribute to uninspired.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:55 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
But to air the entire series backwards? That's a bold move, and hardly something I can attribute to uninspired.

I think that it can be attribute to MoHS raging success, I guess everyone trying to hit it big with the next super show.... But 26 episodes damn that's a long time to be watching the end. It makes ya wonder if they design the show that way, or they though hey lets just play it in reverse it will get us more coverage for it's uniqueness.
omar235

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:46 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
spoiler[(I am damn curious what off-screen struggle Momoka had to go through, and my mind already went far deep in the gutter Embarassed ).]

Mine to, can they blame us it is based off of a hentai. I relized by episode 4 that things were looking fishy, then I thought about it for 10 minutes and then it hit me *smack* they are airing this backwords. Very Happy

Last edited by omar235 on Thu May 10, 2007 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2