• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Gekijō-ban Tiger & Bunny -The Rising-

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I hope it's better than the first one. If you're going to retell the first few episodes, at least give us a villain we care about like Lunatic or Jake Martinez instead of that generic skater kid.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this. It definitely just felt like a really good episode of the TV series, but I liked that. I was definitely hoping for it to be a little more of a direct sequel than the side story that it was though.

Also, they need to do a full series just for Lunatic, that guy needs more screen time. I guess if they flesh him out in the "inevitable" season 2, that works as well.
Suena

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
I hope it's better than the first one. If you're going to retell the first few episodes, at least give us a villain we care about like Lunatic or Jake Martinez instead of that generic skater kid.

If you read the review, you will see that it addresses this.

I also highly recommend this for fans of the series. I think you should probably be a fan already, since it has a lot of the themes and styles of the series, so if you don't like the series, you'll be out of luck (and out of $15, if you're going to a screening).

And also - SEASON 2, PLEASE!
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:30 pm Reply with quote
It's not as good as the TV series but it's a fun movie with yes a lot of "fan service" for the fans. All the regulars get a moment to shine, although Fire Emblem probably gets the most attention in the movie (they attempt to give his character more depth which is very nice, although he is still portrayed in an overly stereotypical fashion)

I also agree about the villains and plot being kind of typical. Don't expect greatness there. But for a fun popcorn flick it delivers.

My only other complaint is there was a lack of scenes between Tiger and Bunny, but with the set up of the story I guess that was understandable.
Cetais

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm so happy. Ever since I learned about Fire Emblem's backstory, I wanted it animated. I mean, that's a really good scenario compared to some episodes.

So, in Canada, we got Madoka 3, Anohana, but not T&B2 ? I'm really sad.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Saw this at the screening in New York and it's certainly a fun movie for Tiger and Bunny fans and for newbies I think it gives a great framework on what made the show so popular. The villains aren't particularly strong but the characters are portrayed strongly.

My favorite character actually ended up being Ryan who didn't turn out like I thought he would.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Liking the positive responses from the review and those who've gotten to see it, really looking forward to it.

And yes, season 2 please!
Nemui_Nezumi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
At the theatrical showing we attended, there was a huge amount of fan applause at every heroic triumph... but the “aww!”s and the squeals were more passionate. That's Tiger and Bunny, after all.

I started laughing at that part xD

ahhh can't wait to watch the movie~~~ I absolutely adored the series! (didn't watched the first movie though)

does anyone knows how much time we have to wait until the DVDs/BR comes out?
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Of course Rider Kick is a plus to David Cabrera. I'd be disappointed if it wasn't. Wink (I was a tad disappointed that there was no badass suit-up sequence, though. Going NEXT isn't as good as an old-fashioned electroplate.)

Suena wrote:
I also highly recommend this for fans of the series. I think you should probably be a fan already, since it has a lot of the themes and styles of the series, so if you don't like the series, you'll be out of luck (and out of $15, if you're going to a screening).

I went to a screening with people who came in cold and they liked it. They felt everyone was distinguishable enough that they could follow and they liked how every had ample screen time, even though the plot felt like it was going at a million miles an hour.

I think Fire Emblem stole this movie and I am completely okay with that.
Banken

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:30 am Reply with quote
So does his spoiler[ power still only last a minute? ]
SpikesGrrl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:01 am Reply with quote
Nemui_Nezumi wrote:
Quote:
At the theatrical showing we attended, there was a huge amount of fan applause at every heroic triumph... but the “aww!”s and the squeals were more passionate. That's Tiger and Bunny, after all.

I started laughing at that part xD

ahhh can't wait to watch the movie~~~ I absolutely adored the series! (didn't watched the first movie though)

does anyone knows how much time we have to wait until the DVDs/BR comes out?

The Japanese BR & DVD comes out on July 4th the BR is region free and subtitled as is the DVD not sure when the dub version is coming out both Ami Ami and Amazon Japan have the Japanese version listed.

Mary
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1