• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ranma ½ [2-in-1 Edition] GN 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Kinda wish these were 3-in-1 or more but still 19 volumes are easier to collect than 38. Surprised it has taken them this long to do it unflipped! Is it still the same translation.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Surprised it got an A-, but then I remember that this is the beginning of the series. Rolling Eyes
Shaterri

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Tiny nitpickery: the phrase is 'pidgin English'; its most likely etymology (according to Wikipedia at least) is actually through a mispronunciation of the word 'business'.

As far as Ranma itself goes, of course, another edition of this is always a delight! I'm tempted to get them just for the right-to-leftness...
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:56 pm Reply with quote
It is mostly the same translation. The most noticeable change is on page 8. The sign on the Dojo now says "Tendo Dojo Anything - Goes Martial Arts. It used to say School of Indiscriminate Grappling. It was changed for consistency with later usage. I liked the original version as it made clear that the story was making fun of the various schools of martial arts with their strict rules on how you could fight.

They discuss this in the extras to the new remastered Blu-ray version of the anime. I thought it was cool that Viz managed to get both out within a week of each other. They are usually not so coordinated.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I remember reading somewhere (hey, rnma has been out for decades) that the three nabiki sisters represent the three roles women must take in japan; they either become perfect housewives like kasumi, calculating and cold money grabbers like nabiki or rebelious tomboys like akane. that made me see the series in a new light.
Hellfish

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:12 am Reply with quote
Ranma is one the series that I have few numbers of multiple editions all around. The floppies, which I think are Viz first edition, a few volumes which I found expensive at the time and didn't got until I got them in discount (Torren Smith is probably rolling in his grave over that, but I have to deal with import prices in an country economy that doesn't give as much adquisitive power :/) and many Mexican floppies given that we never had this series in volumes.
Maybe I will be able to complete the series with this edition, I agree with the opinion that the manga actually ages well and till this day I still find it very funny. And even if there is quite some moral dissonance among many characters and attitudes I do think those actually add to work instead of detracting...
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:31 am Reply with quote
Ranma 1/2 was one of my gateway drugs into anime. Still have the VHS tapes and I believe also, the comics.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:13 am Reply with quote
Amazingly, the 2-in-1 edition is the first time I've ever read the manga. Would've been nice if the color pages were actually printed in color, at least for the first chapter.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:00 am Reply with quote
It starts strong introducing characters, then goes down in the middle, then gets to the best parts in the 20s (vol #s), and then it doesn't really end. Smile
(And we'll never really figure out who's stronger: Ranma or Ryouga)
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:44 am Reply with quote
HAAAAhhhh...good old Ranma. I am EXTREMELY pleased to see that it has finally gotten the flipping-back that it deserves after all these years...sad part is that it will take a while to release the whole thing this way...

For anybody who might know, is the translation adjustment less or more literal to the Japanese than the previous editions?
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:55 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Surprised it got an A-,

As opposed to what? An A+? A D-?
A- seems about right to me.

Quote:
but then I remember that this is the beginning of the series. Rolling Eyes

What is the significance of that?

I have not decided yet if I will buy these, since I do have all volumes in the previous edition, and some of the first edition and some of the comics.
I did not hesitate to buy the omnibus volumes of Inuyasha because they were unflipped, but I do not like Ranma 1/2 quite as much.
If the translation is the same and there are no color pages then the only reason for me to get this edition would be to have it unflipped. Reading Ranma 1/2 flipped does not bother me.
I guess that I will just wait until I learn more about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:28 am Reply with quote
Ranma is so much fun! It's how I got into manga: I read a newspaper article about genderbender manga (I think it focused on Ranma and Cheeky Angel), found Ranma in the library, checked it out out of curiosity, and got hooked. The first few volumes in particular are excellent. Then I checked out the VHS tapes (!) with the first two episodes from Blockbuster (!). Ahh, memories!

So, what is the physical quality of the book like? Sometimes 2-in-1s can be hard to open, and the middle pages fall out. Is the book easy to read/open, and how's the paper quality?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:31 am Reply with quote
The quality is actually better than most of the Viz omnibuses - the pages are thicker and the binding is good and tight, but still flexible enough to read the whole page. The only major downer is the lack of color pages.

I tend to agree that the series gets less awesome as it goes on, but the first volumes are tough to beat. Smile
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Compared to the original US release, the art work is cleaner and with less loss of detail.
thenix

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:58 am Reply with quote
I know this was even mentioned in the article but Ranma was a gateway manga for me. I still love Rumiko Takahashi although this series in general I don't know if I would like it as much if I read it today. Some of the anime tropes have gotten old, but when I first read this they weren't tropes to me. (Heck maybe they weren't tropes in general when it was created)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2