• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces Red Data Girl Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DisneyLM

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:57 pm Reply with quote
If you ask me, it was very unfortunate that a Dubbed version for "A Certain Magical Railgun S" wasn't Included. Looking back, I can understand why. I wasn't aware that Railgun S was released in 2013. So, in knowing that Information, we know that a dubbed version just doesn't get made the following year (In most case). I just hope we get a dubbed version someday because I only watch the dubs (Personal Preference). Plus, every time I hear "Karbowski's" voice, I am reminded of Railgun. If it means getting new anime shows dubbed V.S. Railgun Season 2, then by all means...dub the new anime shows, so along as Funimation does it's "Well, we dubbed Railgun Season 1...let's dub season 2."
puppy1843e

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I know I'm in the minority on this, but I really enjoyed Red Data Girl. Was it confusing at times? Yes. Was the story meant to be 2 cour? Definitely. But Izumiko as a character and her relationship with Miyuki was done really well in my opinion. So with the dub and blu-ray release it's a definitely buy for me.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm completely with puppy1843e on RDG. It was hardly one of my favorite titles of 2013, and its failure to complete the storyline is a big knock, but I still thought it was very solid at what it did do. (See my full thoughts on it here.) The slower, more deliberate pacing will definitely not work for everyone, though, and I, too, am a little surprised that it both got picked up and is getting released with a dubbed.

And given how nuanced a role Izumiko is (the original performance might have been the best of last year beyond Izumi Kitta's Tomoko), I find Funimation's decision to give the role to a near-complete newcomer very interesting. Bryn must be a major new talent if she's being trusted with that role; I look forward to hearing what she can do.

As for the rest? Railgun S getting released was fully expected, but Ben-to was not. I completely missed that Funi had snagged that one and had been despairing that it would ever see a States-side release. It's a fun series that I highly recommend and ranked as an Unlicensed Gem a couple of years back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Man, I'm really hoping that Ben-To gets an uncensored BD release - I mean, the show aired in 2011 - can't we have the BD right away on this one. Glad to hear it's being dubbed and it'll be interesting to see who plays who and how the dub turns out.

The fact that Railgun S is only getting a DVD release however is a little disconcerting - I know why but I can't see my self ever buying any more DVDs now that I've switched to BD. The resolution is just too low to look any good on my media setup.
nechronius

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:00 am Reply with quote
I'm happy to see some love for Ben-To. It's a lot of fun and more people should look for it.

Railgun S is no surprise so no real comment other than I was hoping for my Level 5 action and not so much dwelling on a single (but admittedly significant) Sisters Arc.

As for Red Data Girl, I can't begrudge its supporters even if I personally found it lacking in many things. I'm actually curious to see if a dub cast can do much to improve the series overall.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:59 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
Wait what about Index 2? Has that already been announced for release and I just missed it, or I think releasing Railgun 2 first.

they announced they acquired full rights for Index 2 and the Movie on day 6.5 of the 12 days of anime event back in Dec

Well I know they had the license but they annouced no release date as far as I am aware of, but Railgun S has at least been confirmed for a Summer window. Which is weird because index came out first then railgun, then index 2, then railgun s in Japan. And in the US we got Index first, then Railgun. So I assumed we would get Index 2 first then Railgun S sometime later.
anifani

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm completely with puppy1843e on RDG.

I, too, agree with both key and puppy1843e. I enjoyed RDG and have already pre-ordered it. It's good to see Micah as the lead male protagonist.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:08 pm Reply with quote
puppy1843e wrote:
I know I'm in the minority on this, but I really enjoyed Red Data Girl. Was it confusing at times? Yes. Was the story meant to be 2 cour? Definitely. But Izumiko as a character and her relationship with Miyuki was done really well in my opinion. So with the dub and blu-ray release it's a definitely buy for me.

It's not getting a BD release though, which is a complete shame for any P.A. Works title, and this one is no exception. Personally I thought RDG was a fine show, despite being a tad boring overall. I might get it if gets re-released on BD in the future, and if that ever happens, I wish we end up with a better cover than the current mock-up they have up for this DVD set.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
puppy1843e

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Ah, that's such a shame. I feel like there should be a law or something that all P.A. Works shows should be released on blu-ray.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Kadokawa strikes again
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:55 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Kadokawa strikes again

I think it's a mixture between Kadokawa & FUNi to be honest.
So far, Sentai has had little trouble releasing their Kadokawa titles on BD.
Though they do tend to wait a bit longer before releasing their Kadokawa titles than FUNi does.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:16 pm Reply with quote
DisneyLM wrote:
If you ask me, it was very unfortunate that a Dubbed version for "A Certain Magical Railgun S" wasn't Included. Looking back, I can understand why. I wasn't aware that Railgun S was released in 2013. So, in knowing that Information, we know that a dubbed version just doesn't get made the following year (In most case). I just hope we get a dubbed version someday because I only watch the dubs (Personal Preference). Plus, every time I hear "Karbowski's" voice, I am reminded of Railgun. If it means getting new anime shows dubbed V.S. Railgun Season 2, then by all means...dub the new anime shows, so along as Funimation does it's "Well, we dubbed Railgun Season 1...let's dub season 2."
A response on Funimation's blog:

Michelle wrote:
the Railgun S release will be dual language, same as the majority of our releases. Unless we specifically say otherwise (Like with OniAi) our releases will get an English dub treatment as well.

FlamingFirewire wrote:
The fact that Railgun S is only getting a DVD release however is a little disconcerting - I know why but I can't see my self ever buying any more DVDs now that I've switched to BD. The resolution is just too low to look any good on my media setup.
Normally I would say "quit whining about a few lines of resolution and buy the DVDs if you like the show," but not this time. The general consensus around the fansub scene is that JC Staff got their act together from Railgun S onwards with their Blu-Ray authoring and general animation quality. So unlike with Railgun '09, the absence of Blu-Ray is a definite loss with Railgun S. I hope the reverse-importation worrywarts at Kadokawa Geneon Universal are ready to see these DVDs compete with downloaded 720p+ Blu-Ray rips with the English audio added.

I'll still buy the DVDs since they'll still look fine on my setup (as do the DVDs of Index/Railgun 1), but I can understand the mindset of those who feel differently.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
So unlike with Railgun '09, the absence of Blu-Ray is a definite loss with Railgun S. I hope the reverse-importation worrywarts at Kadokawa are ready to see these DVDs compete with downloaded 720p+ Blu-Ray rips with the English audio added.

Railgun S is from Geneon, not Kadokawa.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2