• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ranma 1/2 episode list

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:43 am Reply with quote
As a result of getting the new Ranma 1/2 Blu-ray I visited the Encyclopedia entry. The episode list for the TV series is seriously jumbled.

Specifically entries 19 to 30 and 63 to 69 each contain the titles of two separate episodes. They also contain references to old fan-sub episodes that are probably inappropriate. Also most of the entries for the first season contain two versions of the Romanized Japanese title. This appears sporadically in the rest of the list.

The OAV list contains the title of the third movie as an unnumbered entry (probably because that is how Viz packaged it) and has the last OAV listed as both the 11th and 12th entries.

I realized these errors have been present for a long time, however, since Viz is reissuing the series now would be a good time to correct it. This will be complicated by the fact that the new release follows the current Japanese release with a different episode order for the first volume of the series.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I know Dormcat said in one of the error reports for the OAV that she was planning to split the OAV entry into three entries based on how it was actually released. Personally I would also like to see the TV series entry split into separate entries for the first TV series and the second TV series. I just seems better to me to have the entries reflect how the anime was originally released in Japan. I'm sure it would be very time consuming, but I'm hoping someone could do it eventually when they have a lot of time on their hands. I think the episode list for the TV series should also use the original Japanese episode order.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:31 pm Reply with quote
@Calathan
I'm pretty sure Dormcat is a guy.

The episode list for the TV series is already broken by Season 1 and 2 after the first 18 episodes. I think it is correct. Unfortunately it is also broken to show the beginning and end of each of Viz's artificial "seasons" which represent the extent of each box set of DVDs. I think those should be removed.

I think the episode order of the prior DVDs corresponds to the order they were aired. However, I don't know that as a fact and I'm not about to try to rearrange entries on that basis myself. Even if that was done we would still be guessing about the dates and the Japanese title in two formats.

I agree that the order they were aired should remain in the encyclopedia. However in light of the new release there should be a comment about the difference. There is a reason for the new order in the current release. As noted on the main page, the initial season was cancelled after 18 episodes. I read, I think in Animerica Magazine, that when advised of the cancellation that the introduction of Shampoo was pushed to the remaining slots. This would argue that the entire season had been substantially completed by that time. This is supported by the fact that they were able to restart the series a month later as that is probably not enough time to animate the first episodes of the second season from scratch. Volume 1 of the new Blu-ray release has episodes 19, 20 and 21 between episodes 13 and 14 of the first season with 22 and 23 following the original episode 18. And, the English title of the first episode is changed (and was previously changed on the prior DVD release).
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Calathan
I'm pretty sure Dormcat is a guy.

Now that I check the staff page, I see that you are right. Sorry about that, Dormcat.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1