• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Rise and Shine

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Personally I liked the first season of Jormungand a lot more than season 2. Now a large part of that is due to the ending which was incredibly disappointing, but I wasn't crazy about the whole spoiler["operation undershaft"] and the fight against the spoiler[japenese] felt really forced, like they didn't even have a reason to fight them, spoiler["Oh our guy felt like trying to beat you guys, they all died for it, hahaha!"]. Wiley backstory was great thought.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Spot on about the touch-and-go animation in Wake Up, Girls!, though it seems like this is a problem that has gradually developed as the season has rolled on: the dance number that ends the pilot movie is really good, while as you mention, the big deal choreography in episode 10 is practically off-screen.

Still, I really hope someone licenses this one over here.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:49 pm Reply with quote
The last stretch of episodes in Robotics;Notes are a complete trainwreck and ruin what little the show had going for it. It was one of those situations where you stare at the screen in disbelief that someone could write such tripe in a supposedly "professional" multi-million-dollar production.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Next up: an anime about creating an anime about an idol group put together just for the anime.

Producers standing around yelling "How are we gonna animate all this choreography on this budget!?"

Next next up: an anime about putting together a production group and financing an anime about an an anime about an idol group put together just for the anime...

Where will it all stop?
kevinx59

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Love Wake Up Girls, real surprise of the season, and my favorite series thus far. As for the animation problems, well this may have something to do with it: animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-01-18/wake-up-girls-director-yamakan-recruits-staff-on-twitter

Robotic;Notes was ok, but after how great Steins;Gate was I felt let down. The conspiracy stuff really confused me. Although the scene spoiler[were that girl's mechanical legs malfunctioned and she walked off the cliff really stuck in my mind]
Need to finish Jormungand Perfect Order. watched season 1 but haven't finished season 2.
zrdb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:30 pm Reply with quote
About the only difference between mine and Will Murray's collection is my stuff is mostly in piles on the floor and it's all anime-no live action stuff. I've been collecting anime since 1996 and except for accidential duplicates and getting bluray releases to replace dvd ones I don't get rid of what I collect.
navycherub

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I am very glad you enjoy Wake Up Girls. It is a much better show than it might seem superficially.
El-ahrairah

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:52 pm Reply with quote
You know, I don't think you ever said what Wake Up Girls! is about.

You explained WHAT the show is, but you never got to the plot. The show's focused on an idol group and their rivals, I got that much. Is really that the whole plot? Is there nothing more to be said beyond that? That's awfully thin, even for a pop-idol based anime. Confused
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:

Next up: an anime about creating an anime about an idol group put together just for the anime.

Producers standing around yelling "How are we gonna animate all this choreography on this budget!?"

Next next up: an anime about putting together a production group and financing an anime about an an anime about an idol group put together just for the anime...

Where will it all stop?

At some point, it'd turn into 3DCG ala Alvin and the Chipmunks! Laughing
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Wake Up Girls is my guilty pleasure. I should totally hate this show, but for some reason I find myself watching it every week. I like all the digs at the idol industry.
unready

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Shelf Worthy
Jormungand Perfect Order BD+DVD
Stream Worthy
Wake Up Girls! Ep. 1-10 Rental Shelf
Robotics;Notes Part 2 BD+DVD
Perishable
Nothing this week

I think you meant for that Rental Shelf to go where Stream Worthy is.
irishninja

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Whoa. 62? Awesome! Nice shelves, too. Anime hyper
Faiga_Raisa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Lovely collection Will. And so organized!
Meygaera

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Wow I wonder what my anime collection will be like when I'm 62. Let's see, I've been an anime fan for 4 years and have probably $4,000+ worth of dvd/bluray/manga/artbooks/figures/wallscrolls...

Or shit, if I put all that money into a 401k instead I could probably retire at 62 as a millionaire...
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Let me preface by that saying that I really like Robotics;Notes. I gave it a Good rating because although it has some inconsistencies, it manages to do some neat things and be entertaining.

To me saying that this anime becomes a train wreck at the end is a bit exaggerated. I think that the series did a good enough job introducing the story, developing the characters, having a clear premise and concluding the story. I think the anime was consistent throughout. The series had very positive things and negative issues in both parts. It is not as if the first part was a Masterpiece and the second part a pile of trash. Both parts were just Good, nothing more, nothing less.

And I think that comparing Robotics;Notes with the great Steins;Gate is unfair because the latter in an Excellent works that does a wonderful job with its inventive premise, plot twists and characterization.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3