• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Streams Red Data Girl Dub Trailer

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
puppy1843e

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow. The dub sounds good considering this isn't even a popular show. Seems like they put a lot of effort into it.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:58 pm Reply with quote
The dub seems way better than this show deserves.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:28 pm Reply with quote
That actually sounded pretty decent, and Masumi(???) sounded spot on. I thought that this would be one of those series that could "dub itself" and that appears to be the case, here (the lines sound about the same from the sub, as well).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Collectonian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote
So glad this is coming to DVD. Watched the streaming version and loved it. Be nice if the set includes an on-disc or printed guide to some of the cultural references Wink

I am surprised they decided to spend the money on the dub, though, as it seems very few people really enjoyed it.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I really liked this show. The dub sounds pretty good. Will be buying.
bs3311

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Now this sounds awesome! So glad David is in it as a more main male ala beginning of Wolf Children character instead of something like Appleseed where Sentai licensed and then Funimation had an excuse to bring him in for XIII.

The main female lead has a hint to Emily Neves type of tone, which is a huge compliment in my book. Its not stereotypically whaky yet negatively ditzy like Laura Bailey from Fruits Basket. And I did not even watch the sub of that yet I found her annoying. So I might enjoy her in other roles in future projects.

The dub seems good (maybe even better than the AOT dub) yet no LE box? Not even a Blu-Ray release? I know its probably due to import or maybe none in japan. But P.A. works titles licensed in the U.S. get no respect at all lately Anime hyper.
normajean19

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Now I'm definitely getting this... the dub sounds like it's gonna be really good!
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:52 pm Reply with quote
What I am really curious is to know who from Anime News Network said that Red Data Girl is "One of year's best series." The reactions of this series from fans have mostly been negative.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:00 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
What I am really curious is to know who from Anime News Network said that Red Data Girl is "One of year's best series." The reactions of this series from fans have mostly been negative.

Waitwaitwait...

Are they quoting this Theron Martin review?

Ultimately Red Data Girl shows a bit more potential than it actually lives up to, as early on it looks like it could be one of the year's best series. It instead settles for merely being a good series by neglecting to fill in a few crucial gaps and provide a sufficiently satisfying wrap-up at the end.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Didn't sound like the "average" Funimation dub. Then again, my experience has been that the worse a trailer from Funi is, the better the show. There have been exceptions though.

While the dub in this had a touch of the Bang/Zoom it felt a lot "closer" to TX than CA than does Attack on Titan's dub. My socks were not rocked by the lead actress' performance in this trailer.

The artstyle and the warnings that this show imploded kept me away from it when it simulcast. They'll probably do the same with that dub, though since it is dubbed and features The Matranga I'll put it into the queue.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:24 am Reply with quote
That trailer is the best it's gonna get. Confused
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:14 am Reply with quote
Yeah, that's definitely what they're quoting from, Restless One. And the "absolutely stunning" comment they used came from the same review and concerned the background visuals.

So yeah, it's a standard "use it out of context" ploy, but it doesn't bother me much because the series is a lot better than a lot of people give it credit for. And besides that point, that's one hell of a well-produced trailer; I'd even say it's one of the best anime trailers for an English release I've seen in years. Dub sounds spot-on, too, although like I said in another thread, the real test will be seeing how the female lead handles Izumiko's emotional range.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Ooh, this dub sounds good! Almost better than the sub (it can't really be better, because the story doesn't change). Unfortunately, the series itself was more of an advertisement for the novel than a complete, stand-alone artistic work, and Funimation isn't bringing the novel here. Still, it was very, very pretty. I'm sorely tempted.

Can't wait 'till they post the first few eps of the dub on Hulu so we can check it out properly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1