• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Iron Knight Manga Ends in Weekly Shonen Jump

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:12 am Reply with quote
Not surprising considering it's rankings.
Shankusu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:40 am Reply with quote
OMG NO WAY, HOW?!

Nah, this shouldn't surprise anyone at this point.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:03 am Reply with quote
Already? Damn! Jump is brutal.
burnpsy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:46 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

It actually lived pretty long considering its near-consecutive run at the bottom of the rankings. I mean, it didn't have magico-level luck or anything to avoid cancellation, but ranks that bad usually mean a cut-off at ten chapters.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:09 am Reply with quote
As disappointed as I am I'm not surprised, I'm glad the final volume will be getting some original content but all I can say now is that I hope the next manga to replace this one sticks (which 9 times out of 10 says that probably won't happen)
bastek66

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:25 am Reply with quote
It was terrible what editors did to it compared to Oneshot
OrbitoBrekken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm not very surprised. I mean, the boy at the age of 10, he was already a tactician, and a weapons smith? And how was he so ridiculously full of common sense and a know how of literally every obstacle he came across?

I was a fool to think the manga would be good.
flackenstien

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Knew it.

The first chapter was good, but it just got.. odd.. after that bunny girl came in.
bigivel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:34 pm Reply with quote
bastek66 wrote:
It was terrible what editors did to it compared to Oneshot

Why are you blaming the editor(Is just one)? Do you have any ground to blame him instead of the author? And if that was the case, why didn't the author protest? Why don't you blame the author for blindly complying to the editor?

Last edited by bigivel on Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
bigivel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:39 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

No, it isn't. This is something good for the readers and for the author as well.

The readers(majority) didn't really cared about Iron Knight, I can't say that I myself cared. So this will give opportunity to new content, that might or not be more interesting, but even if it isn't it will be good to change the pace.

For the author, because he won experience with this title and understood better how things are working in the magazine right now. With this he will have time to think about another story and planning better. Note that a lot of authors incredibly increased the quality of their works after a cancellation. For Example: Author of Slam Dunk, Jojo, Bleach and others.
Randomfart

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Figures. Anything even slightly different will get demolished in Shounen Jump. It's the Antithesis of creativity.
bigivel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Randomfart wrote:
Figures. Anything even slightly different will get demolished in Shounen Jump. It's the Antithesis of creativity.

Do you even know how things work? Because it doesn't seem so.
The antithesis of creativity? You're talking about the most creative Manga Magazine for 45 years!

Do you know which magazine pioneered Ecchi? Weekly Shonen Jump.
Do you know which magazine pioneered Mecha? Weekly Shonen Jump.
Do you know which magazine talked about the catastrophe of the aftermath of the atomic bomb? In first hand(the author makes an autobiography about those times)? Weekly Shonen Jump.
Do you know which magazine gave a huge boost to car manga? Weekly Shonen Jump.
Do you know which magazine gave a huge boost to comedy/gag manga? Weekly Shonen Jump.
Do you know which magazine gave a huge boost to sci-fi? Weekly Shonen Jump.
Do you know which magazine gave a huge boost to space opera? Weekly Shonen Jump.
Do you know which magazine gave a huge boost to sport manga, specially Basketball and Football, two sports that at that time were almost ignored in Japan as an all? Weekly Shonen Jump.
Do you know which magazine gave a huge boost to supernatural battle manga? Weekly Shonen Jump.

Do you know which magazine is right now giving a great contribution to Food manga and to the sport Volleyball? Weekly Shonen Jump.
Do you know which magazine have right now three super creative and out of the norm comedy mangas(Assassination comedy, The bad about having super powers comedy, and Lazy Samurai comedy)? Weekly Shonen Jump. Respectively, Assassination Classroom, PSI Kusuo Sainan and Isobe Isobee Monogatari.

Do you know which magazine has every year, 10-16 new and potentially creative titles? Weekly Shonen Jump.

Weekly Shonen Jump, is without a doubt the manga magazine more creative and that stimulates more creativity in Japan.
And at the same time is the magazine that demands more quality and the magazine that more listens to the feedback of his readers!

Those and the fact that it keeps the ultra high quality mangas that it gets, are the reasons why the magazine is for almost 41 straight years the number 1 Manga Magazine of Japan(In reality it is 24 straight years, a pause of 5 years(where it was in second place) and 12 straight years again. That is 36 years in number 1).

The magazine has a lot of long term quality titles:
- Kochikame
- One Piece
- Naruto
- Toriko
- Kuroko no Basket
- Gintama
- Bleach

But keeps fresh and creative titles that have a lot of potential and are in the rise:
- Assassination Classroom
- Shokugeki no Soma
- Haikyuu!!
- Nisekoi
- PSI Kusuo Sainan
- World Trigger
- Isobe Isobee Monogatari
- Soul Catcher(s)

But even after that they have a constant flow of new and creative titles(average of 12 per year, there aren't any other manga magazine that have that huge an average):
- Illegal Rare
- IShoujo
- Stealth Symphony
- Tokyo Wonder Boys

Creativity isn't about making a long term work, is about a cycle of creation, failure and repetition until something really good is made.
The most creative places are the more Strict places where more is expected of each person. Looking for better quality is the way for creativity. Take the example of JoJo, Slam Dunk and Bleach authors. They did one first Work at Weekly Shonen Jump that flopped, respectively BAOH(only 9 chapters), chameleon Jail(only 12 chapters) and zombie powder(only 27 chapters). The works were bad so they were cancelled early on, that gave experience to this authors that returned with better and more creative ideas, making them Successful authors. Do you really think that if they had continued with the lesser quality titles for a long time it would be more beneficial for them? That it would give them more creativity? No! It would just make them continue something that is bad, and block the other new authors of a space to get experience and maybe even thrive in the magazine.

The author of Iron knight, with this series will gain experience of serialization, and will be able to see what he did bad, what he did right, and come with something way better, way better than Iron Knight and more creative. The only requirement is that he take the effort for that!
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:40 am Reply with quote
Ehh, even Nobuhiro Watsuki's work right after finishing super-popular Rurouni Kenshin (forget the title, but it had western setting) got axed. That's competition in in WSJ for you.

Don't be down, Mr. Yagi. Experience is the best teacher! Very Happy

(Btw, looking at the author's name, I can't help but thinking the one who draws Claymore)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:10 am Reply with quote
It's just bad. They should learn from Hollywood's century of creativity.
simona.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:48 am Reply with quote
I really liked it but I knew it wouldn't last.
It was a bit too brutal for Jump in a way (Y_Y)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2