• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Macross Science-Fiction Anime Franchise Gets New TV Series

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZetaZaku

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:01 am Reply with quote
Hope they make it so-bad-it's-good like SDF. Frontier was sadly just bad and had average music. I'd rather have something like Macross 7 than another idol triangle.
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:19 am Reply with quote
There's sooo much potential for a remake of SDF with a wider scope of the ongoing Space War I.

I'm curious how they managed to keep the people fed, what daily life for Zentraedi troops was like, what happened to the families of all the cannon-fodder VF-1s that exploded every episode.... It could have been epic, but the original story chose to focus on the three most boring people in the entire fleet.

Macross 7 also deserves a high-budget remake with better writing and directing, if only because the original was such a hot mess of both epic and terrible.

The gap between the end of Space War I and the start of the galaxy immigration project also has a lot of potential.
wilson_x1999

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:29 am Reply with quote
That silhouette appears to be the one from the SDF-1 from DYRL in Storm Attacker mode, so I have no idea what are they planning on doing but I'm happy for this.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:34 am Reply with quote
Once again, the gods answered my prayers. My Favourite mecha series getting its 4th tv series.

Sateligth is on a roll. Symphogear(and its 3rd season announcement), Log Horizon, Nobunaga the fool, M3 and now a new macross series.

Last edited by Rederoin on Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Eldoran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:36 am Reply with quote
But we wont see it over since the ban on all Macross stuff. Something to add to the import list.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:37 am Reply with quote
You forgot to add "That Americans will never get to see legally."
Rederoin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:37 am Reply with quote
Eldoran wrote:
But we wont see it over since the ban on all Macross stuff. Something to add to the import list.

I'm not really familiar with the American licensee industry, what 'ban' are you talking about?
Eldoran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:40 am Reply with quote
The company that owns Robotech wont allow any Macross related material in the US. All that try get sued.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:42 am Reply with quote
rederoin wrote:
Eldoran wrote:

I'm not really familiar with the American licensee industry, what 'ban' are you talking about?

Due to a poorly written licenses and other factors Harmony Gold the company that converted Macross and 2 other shows into Robotech, Continue to claim rights over Macross, even though Japanese courts have said that Big West/Studio Nue have the rights. No one is willing to wage the fight in US courts to have the rights made right.

-G
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:44 am Reply with quote
Yay, another Macross anime that will never be translated legally.. Anime cry

Wait, if the issue is settled in Japan, what if a Japanese release included English subs? We could import that.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:48 am Reply with quote
Definitely wasn't expecting this. I am curious to see where this goes next.

And I don't see how SDF can be considered "so bad it's good." It was cutting-edge space drama for its day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:59 am Reply with quote
@Kimiko_0

I think the Japanese licensors have actually caught to the sales opportunity from providing English subs for the international market, as both the recent Blu-ray releases of Macross Plus and Frontier have included them. However, it's still not perfect; apparently there are plenty of grammatical errors in those releases, not to mentions significant issues with the Plus dub. I believe Justin talked about them in a recent Answerman post.

Last edited by fathomlessblue on Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Psajdak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:59 am Reply with quote
Please, bring back Minmay, Misa, and their voice actresses Mari Iijima and Mika Doi.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:01 am Reply with quote
Unexpected but I'll definitely will be watching this for sure. Hope to see a PV soon too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DRWii

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:03 am Reply with quote
Awesome, nice to see a new TV series getting made less than a decade after the previous one. I hope it's a new series rather than a sequel or a remake, but I loves me some "Macross," so I'll watch it regardless.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5