• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight Spring 2014-The List

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
She worships her brother fervently, to the extent that one day she wants to make him a stuffed specimen.

...o-kay.

I've got no idea what this show is supposed to be about, but it sounds weird enough to have piqued my curiosity...which doesn't apply to the rest of the Spotlight so far.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:47 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Additionally, it will allow me to cast my "protest vote" against all shows where the female cast has been made so overly moe that they resemble lolis. I remember when anime had only a token loli or two to pander to the minority of viewers who were into lolicon. Now the lolicons seem to be the majority and anime is worse for it.

Yes, very much this. There's so much more otaku anime these days that focus on moe young girls, it's becoming more and more the rule and less the exception, and it just makes me cringe.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:54 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
Echo_City wrote:
Additionally, it will allow me to cast my "protest vote" against all shows where the female cast has been made so overly moe that they resemble lolis. I remember when anime had only a token loli or two to pander to the minority of viewers who were into lolicon. Now the lolicons seem to be the majority and anime is worse for it.

Yes, very much this. There's so much more otaku anime these days that focus on moe young girls, it's becoming more and more the rule and less the exception, and it just makes me cringe.

Although I do think this is an issue, it's not something that makes me cringe. I don't have a problem with the lolis. My main beef with this is simply the crudeness and sloppiness with which the loli archetype is being crammed into everything. It is getting to the point of just loli for loli sake, rather than complex, awesomely developed characters who happen to be lolis. It's a kind of "token" loli-ism, where such a character type is expected to be there in order to fill a quota, even if they add nothing or even subtract from the overall quality of the show. That's what concerns me, not the merits of the actual character type.

To be honest, I think I was sort of hoping that Loli Conquest Zvezda Plot would be some awesome critique of this whole trend, but I stopped watching because it felt much more like a show meant to glorify the over-use of the character type rather than satirize it. That's not to say the show is not otherwise entertaining. It seems like a fairly slick production, but it did seem like it was overtly taking advantage of the loli craze in a way that made me feel like I was being played by the producers.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
A black-haired boy with black eyes.

...but they're blue

Quote:
A beautiful black-haired girl with black eyes, who is also a saboteur like her brother.

...but they're GREEN.

Confused I'm confused now. Also yeah the "wants to practise taxidermy on her brother's corpse because she loves him so much" is REALLY REALLY CREEPY!
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:19 am Reply with quote
I remember reading four or five chapters of Coffin Princess a long while back and there was literally nothing in there to catch my interest. I'll pass this one.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
A silver haired [SUO FROM DARKER THAN BLACK] with big purple eyes...
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:59 am Reply with quote
(looks over the pool so far at Spring time): No change there then. (yawn). Some good meat to feed the reviews though. I'd better stock up on beer and munchies for the event. Laughing
Next!
Jave

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
Echo_City wrote:

That's funny cause looking at all the current stuff very few focus on lolis. Now, I'm sure you guys wouldn't resort to making things up or lying to make a baseless point, because it'd just make you guys look foolish Wink so maybe you could list all the current loli focused shows airing right now so we can clear this up
bastek66

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Isn't Akari older sister of Tohru?
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Jave wrote:
That's funny cause looking at all the current stuff very few focus on lolis. Now, I'm sure you guys wouldn't resort to making things up or lying to make a baseless point, because it'd just make you guys look foolish Wink so maybe you could list all the current loli focused shows airing right now so we can clear this up

Sarcasm isn't my forte, so I'll just be direct and call them out on their ignorance. Anyone who actually does pay attention to anime would realize loli series are rare. In fact, out of all the current stuff airing http://www.mahou.org/Showtime/?o=ET the loli stuff is pretty much regulated to children's shows who's target audience ARE little girls so it makes sense they'd want to watch shows about little girls. Not that they'll ever admit to being wrong but you should always just call people out when they say stuff like that, otherwise it encourages them to keep saying wrong things.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Seems like coffin princess has an interesting world, but it look like the show is going to overwhelmingly focus on the character rather the world, which all seems pretty bland. I always feel like the more quirk they give to character the blander they get, like card board cutout.

For once I'd like an anime where the main character is the world, rather than Macarthy Mec Bland and his sister Anny "totally doesn't have a crush on her brother" Bland, or vice versa. I wonder if games of thrones is available in japan? Are there japans Fan sub group that post translated version of american show over there? I mean I would think so, hopefully it's popular.
king 47

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Aside from Break Blade, which I have already seen, not much seems to be appealing to me. Same generic big boobed girls and outrageously stupid stories.

There's that show by the Tari Tari team seems interesting, but I don't know anything about it.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:

Sarcasm isn't my forte, so I'll just be direct and call them out on their ignorance. Anyone who actually does pay attention to anime would realize loli series are rare. In fact, out of all the current stuff airing http://www.mahou.org/Showtime/?o=ET the loli stuff is pretty much regulated to children's shows who's target audience ARE little girls so it makes sense they'd want to watch shows about little girls. Not that they'll ever admit to being wrong but you should always just call people out when they say stuff like that, otherwise it encourages them to keep saying wrong things.

I wont speak for the other guys, but I wasn't just talking about shows with "loli focus," or "loli series," although I wouldn't exactly call them rare either. I was mainly talking about "token loli-ism" where loli characters get stuffed into shows that aren't focused on that particular fetish/genre/whatever you wanna call it, because the audience expects (and perhaps demands) that at least one of them will appear to fill that quota.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:18 pm Reply with quote
First thought that came to me when I saw the cover of Dragonar was; looks like Lucy/Neu got a new roll to play. Laughing
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Finally, a show I'm incredibly interested in. Coffin Princess is one of the anime I'm looking forward to the most this season. Its a BONES series, and it looks really interesting.

Plus, I really like Chaika's design, the combination of black and white plays to my sensibilities. Also since it is written by the same author as Scrapped Princess and Outbreak Company, both of which were fantastic, I have high hopes for this show.

As one of the posters above me said, I do get the same sort of feeling from this trio as the Casull siblings as well. Even with the whole step sister angle, that was definite in Scrapped Princess, but not to a huge extent. I did find the idea of taxidermy funny though xD
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 14