• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hayao Miyazaki Rated Among Top Directors

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:23 am Reply with quote
Somehow I doubt they would have felt this way before Spirited Away.While its good that anime is getting more attenion it does irritate me that people who previously ignored it are now sucking up.The movie mag I read has recently started reviewing a lot of anime dvds when the only anime review they had published previosly was Akira.A women send a letter about Spirited Away into the mag stating something along the lines of "This is how animated movies should be made,it wipes the floor with Disney and that manga stuff".I found funny and irritating in equal doses.
What an awful list but I should know not to expect any better from the Gaurdian or any British paper for that matter.Have they never heard of Steven Speilberg not to mention numerous other directors they have left out.Oh well at least it gave me a good chuckle.
Proman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:35 am Reply with quote
Yep this list was pretty bad (not too mention highly subjective). I mean where's Steven Spielberg, Terry Gilliam and Ridley Scott?
P.S. At least they aknowledged that Miyazaki is one of the best directors in the world Wink .
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure if they were holding a popularity contest for directors, Speilberg would top the charts. Putting him on a list of best directors, however, would be pretty lame. Any Best Directors list that leaves out Speilberg and includes Lars Von Triers is okay by me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Somehow I think this is more a list of contemporary directors than all-time. For one thing, who the hell in their right mind would put Michael Moore so high on a list and not even include someone like Akira Kurosawa?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Yes, the article states that it's about the top working directors.

Gilliam would be a good one to list, but hey.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Proman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Somehow I think this is more a list of contemporary directors than all-time. For one thing, who the hell in their right mind would put Michael Moore so high on a list and not even include someone like Akira Kurosawa?

Michael Moore made good movies but he's not really a director. Anyway, Spilberg isn't only popular he's a good director too! The work on Saving Private Ryan is amazing. So putting him on this list wouldn't be lame at all.
If only Stanley Kubrick was alive...
P.S. Terry Gilliam is my favorite Smile. Monty Python rules.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Michael Moore is indeed a director-directing documentaries is a demanding and complex art form. Speilberg puts on an impressive spectacle and can tell a story, but I think these critics were going for something else.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
P.S. At least they aknowledged that Miyazaki is one of the best directors in the world Wink .

Better late than never, I suppose.
It's not that bad of a list...The Coen Bros...Wes Anderson...it's all good. Smile
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:11 pm Reply with quote
It's "Al Guardian" here, folks. Of course Michael Moore is one of the greatest directors ever.

You want a real documentarian, try David Attenborough or Godfry Reggio.
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Being commercial doesnt make youy any less of a director.It says the 40 best directors,not most arty or surreal directors.How can you leave out a man who has been making movies for nearly 30 years and is still going strong with a back catalogue including Jaws,ET,Close encounters,Schindlers list and countless other greats.Out of the many movies he has made I cant think of many bad ones,some but not many.Not only this but the Wachowskis are included,dont get me wrong I think this is fair but they are also commercial directors(especially with the Matrix)so it makes no sense including them and not Speilberg,Lucas,Burton,Cameroon and others.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Mr Mania wrote:
Being commercial doesnt make youy any less of a director.It says the 40 best directors,not most arty or surreal directors.How can you leave out a man who has been making movies for nearly 30 years and is still going strong with a back catalogue including Jaws,ET,Close encounters,Schindlers list and countless other greats.Out of the many movies he has made I cant think of many bad ones,some but not many.Not only this but the Wachowskis are included,don't get me wrong I think this is fair but they are also commercial directors(especially with the Matrix)so it makes no sense including them and not Speilberg,Lucas,Burton,Cameroon and others.

I agree, Speilberg most definatly deserves a place on there. I feel that Lucas however, Star Wars fan that I am, doesn't really deserve the title seeing as he only directed one of the 3 movies of the original trilogy. He has given us a ton in special effects and producing, but not in directing. The Wachowskis I really don't consider great directors. They're probably going to be known as one hit wonders.
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Hmm its toughy over Lucas.Sat Wars is one of the most important movies ever and lets not forget he also directed thanks-1138 which is interesting and American Graffiti which is a damn fine movie.Personally I would probably just include him but its really a matter of preferences.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1