• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Inari Kon Kon Episodes 1-10 Streaming

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I like the comedy of this show quite a bit and some of the characters. Being a 1 cour show, I guess they couldn't resolve everything and some parts felt rushed. Still a charming series though.

The OVA should be something to look forward to. Oh and Susanoo-no-Mikoto is awesome.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Really really liked this anime. One of my favorites of the season. I also think Inari's legs look perfect. Actually, she's perfect as a whole. I love her
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:29 pm Reply with quote
The link to this review from the front page said episodes 1-10, but at the top of the review it says episodes 1-6. Is the review for all 10 episodes, or only the first 6?

Edit: Looks like it has been fixed so it says episodes 1-10 in both places.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Really really liked this anime. One of my favorites of the season.

Yeah, same for me too. Wasn't feeling too strongly about this season early on. This was the last one I got to starting (one week late due to not being a FUNi subscriber) and really charmed me right away in a way which many of the others hadn't done yet. I like Carl's commentary referencing the beach episodes in the middle of the series, as that was perhaps the highlight of it for me. Really loved the character building there. The only disappointment is that the ending is not completely satisfying to me, but it's hard to help it in this situation, where the average anime adaptation is just an ad for the original source material and always highly unlikely to do well enough to support a continuation. I think it still ended as my #1 of the season.

I just really hope FUNi gets this one a US Blu-ray release. The prospects are not good, being a license from Kadokawa.

Last edited by EmperorBrandon on Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:56 pm Reply with quote
This review seems to have more spoilers than usual for a review. spoiler[Sumizono really confesses to Inari? I'm surprised because I didn't expect any yuri tones, and if I girl would confess to another girl, I would expect Inari's overprotective friend to confess to her]
TG72

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm drawn to coming-of-age stories , and the review describes really well why this is a good one.

Something that made it stand out for me was the price of Inari's power. spoiler[It reminded me of Chrono Crusade] although this variation stood well on its own.

There is more manga storyline; I don't know if they'll be able to cover it all in the OVA.

Agent355 wrote:
spoiler[Sumizono really confesses to Inari? I'm surprised because I didn't expect any yuri tones, and if I girl would confess to another girl, I would expect Inari's overprotective friend to confess to her]

spoiler[No, the confession involves another character. And it's shoujo-ai but doesn't go yuri]
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Sumizome spoiler[is supposed to have been an outcast due to her looks but she seemed to get along with everyone. I don't remember her getting bullied by other girls or anything like that, so I'm a bit confused why she was so troubled inside.]
Nayu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:09 pm Reply with quote
TG72 wrote:

spoiler[No, the confession involves another character. And it's shoujo-ai but doesn't go yuri]

Clarification: There is no such thing as shoujo-ai. Its a poor neologism made up by westerners, similar to weeaboo. All yuri is yuri regardless of "purity" levels.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:22 pm Reply with quote
This series was definitely a pleasant surprise for me. I wasn't expecting much of anything but it really charmed me. And while I enjoyed the 3 principal love stories, I also loved the strong focus on friendship throughout the series.
grooven

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I really love this show. I wish it was longer the ending wasn't as good as it could have been, but still amazing Smile
sunflower

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad they ended it where they did. Frankly the manga started going downhill when the author felt the need to lengthen it artificially, and now it just reads like another over-extended manga. I wished it had stopped while it was ahead.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I quite enjoyed this show as well. Inari annoyed me early on but i grew to like how real of a character she felt as the series went on. I kind of wish that we got more of UkaxTouka though.

It was always cute to see those two interact together. It's a shame that most likely this was only intended to be a source material bumper.
zensunni

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:47 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Sumizome spoiler[is supposed to have been an outcast due to her looks but she seemed to get along with everyone. I don't remember her getting bullied by other girls or anything like that, so I'm a bit confused why she was so troubled inside.]

My take: spoiler[Sumizome's issues have to do more with her sheltered upbringing and innate shyness. She makes a good show of "getting along with everyone" but never opens up to anyone, thus she feels alone all the time. She see's Inari's innate way of befriending everyone and envies it. It isn't that she is bullied, more that she is held at arms length and treated superficially by everyone. And, in the end, the fact that she is a lesbian does seem to be a bit of a shock to her, and to certain friends...]
I loved the series! I only wish it were longer and covered the entire story, even if only to the most recent chapter of the manga. I hope it gets another season of anime at some point. They changed some things around in the adaptation, but not enough to make a huge difference in the heart and soul of the story. I love the depth of character and the inherent sweetness of the storytelling style.
Janitor Tzap

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:37 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed this show too.

But I'm somewhat confused by the last episode.
spoiler[When Inari returns Uka's powers, she no longer can see Uka.
But in the first episode, Inari sees and saves the little fox.
Which later has Inari going to see Uka at the shrine.
There is also Touka.
He has been able to see Uka for many years.
Thus, even without Uka's powers, Inari should still be able to see her.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yuka Takashina's designs aren't traditionally beautiful

I have no idea what you mean by that. At first glance they seem to be fairly generic and slightly old school beautiful anime characters, save Maru. And yet there's something I can't put my finger on (maybe the expressiveness of their faces?) that makes them extremely attractive to me. In the end, the beautiful character designs warmed me to this series to a degree that's pretty rare for me. I mean, I appreciate eye candy as much as the next person, but it doesn't normally tip the scales for me one way or another. In this case, I enjoyed the story a lot, but just wanting to look at how pretty everything and everybody was made me actually look forward to it. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2