• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - A Grand Jest

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Well, except for that game-freezing glitch some copies have against this one (optional) boss. Well, “optional”, since who in their right mind WOULDN'T go get all the Craymels? I mean, really? When not getting the Craymels means you can't get all the spells? I, at least, hate useless party members, and there's two mages.

This is completely wrong. There is no way to avoid the glitch on the UK version of the first press release, because the glitch happens during a required boss fight (I believe during the puzzle segment). Volt, which is the one that involves this game ending glitch, is one of the required one you have to get in order to progress the game. While there are others you can get that are optional, none of them having any problems like Volt does, at least from what I am aware of.

Mind you, I had played through the game on the Japanese release, so I didn't encounter this glitch (part of the reason I opted for it). However, there's documentation about the glitch, and ultimately I'm unsure if the game was ever patch, via the update feature on the PSP, but I know second print run was corrected.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I love when someone mentions Jeanne D'Arc. I enjoyed that game immensely. Explaining it to people is almost as fun! The purple toad and all...

If I did have a complaint, it's that the final cut scene was quick and kind of sloppy. I suppose I was expecting some epic FF-esque sequence that ties up the game in a nice bow and includes all the playable characters. Also, I would have preferred some more depth for side chars. In this game, you didn't just obtain identical soldiers with name and job variations; all of them had a personality and a vague reason for being there. I recall liking Marcel and Colet, who were assigned by a (duke? king? something or other), caused a random problem, appeared throughout the game, and then were ignored.
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I remember footage of Out-Run! being used in a drunk driving PSA years and years ago.

As for April Fools, when Square and Enix merged I used the news as a way to convince several fan sites to put up fake COD notices. That was fun.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:46 pm Reply with quote
That Angel Cop cover is totally unconvincing. Look at that font! Pure 90s. Needs more curves and sparkles to pass itself off as a 21st-century video game.

spoiler[A faded-out Star of David in the background wouldn't be a bad touch either]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for posting my Last Ranker thing. I had so much to say, but I hope anyone who likes Lightning Returns thinks about getting Last Ranker. They really are similar.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:05 pm Reply with quote
ChibiGoku wrote:
Quote:

Well, except for that game-freezing glitch some copies have against this one (optional) boss. Well, “optional”, since who in their right mind WOULDN'T go get all the Craymels? I mean, really? When not getting the Craymels means you can't get all the spells? I, at least, hate useless party members, and there's two mages.

This is completely wrong. There is no way to avoid the glitch on the UK version of the first press release, because the glitch happens during a required boss fight (I believe during the puzzle segment). Volt, which is the one that involves this game ending glitch, is one of the required one you have to get in order to progress the game. While there are others you can get that are optional, none of them having any problems like Volt does, at least from what I am aware of.

Mind you, I had played through the game on the Japanese release, so I didn't encounter this glitch (part of the reason I opted for it). However, there's documentation about the glitch, and ultimately I'm unsure if the game was ever patch, via the update feature on the PSP, but I know second print run was corrected.

Volt is required? The game would've let me skip getting it (I didn't), and was telling me to continue instead of getting it.
Kebble

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:16 pm Reply with quote
As someone who's not a fan of PlayStation's single player games, I never looked twice at the PSP. Sure enough, that device might as well be an over-priced antique now that Sony is also selling the Vita hand-held console. I actually like the look and feel of the Vita too. I think Sony's Playstation website currently offers downloadable versions of "Corpse Party: Blood Covered" and "Corpse Party: Book of Shadows" for the PSP. If they do actually work on a PS Vita, all that remains is to find one for the right price. I can't spend $150-200 on a Vita, then another $40 on two games. After I started looking around, desperate to find other games that make a large purchase worthwhile, I came across Monster Monpiece. I thought, hey this isn't so bad even though it's slightly censored. But who am I kidding though? I'd go as far as to buy a game that makes you masturbate to loli anime characters with a PS Vita in your hand, simply to justify buying a PS Vita for more than just two Corpse Party games. I need to be patient enough for a price drop....
WWAanimefan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
That Angel Cop cover is totally unconvincing. Look at that font! Pure 90s. Needs more curves and sparkles to pass itself off as a 21st-century video game.

spoiler[A faded-out Star of David in the background wouldn't be a bad touch either]

Ah so you know who the "real enemy" is in that one...
Bloodgod

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I have the same opinion about gaming sites running April fools jokes as I do about the yearly Superbowl commercials. They were funny once, now they are just forced and annoying, and they are just trying too hard.

On the PSP, I haven't played a ton of games, but I have some favorites. I'm one of the few fans of Valkyria Chronicles that doesn't hate the second game. I'm also enjoying the third game with the translation patch.

Corpse Party was pretty awesome too. I could have done without the creepy "little sister" trope, and some of the bad endings were kinda like the game cheating, but other than that it was really fun.

I was surprised how immersed I was in it's horror story given it's mostly SNES style graphics. I've read the second game is not as good, but it's on my list to play.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:26 pm Reply with quote
We rose to that challenge back when street fighter was in every 7-11. I had friends that would fulfill every requirement and Sheng Long still would not appear. It was never second guessed until years later.

I also fell for the one with Akuma being playable in Resident Evil 2. I beat the game 6 times in a row (Six times in a row!) and did everything they wanted me to do only to find out that it was an April fools joke. I am super cautious as well as jaded because of a lot of those tricks growing up.

I did unlock Hunk and Tofu before most though.
toddc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:18 pm Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:

I almost called it Angel Cop 2: spoiler[Zionist Front] but some people might not have gotten the joke.

Shadowrun20XX wrote:
We rose to that challenge back when street fighter was in every 7-11. I had friends that would fulfill every requirement and Sheng Long still would not appear. It was never second guessed until years later.

They actually went ten rounds without getting hit? Wow.
kanjineogeo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Exidna. Like the name. Cool
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:53 am Reply with quote
Wild ARMs is the best JRPG series of all time. I miss it so much...
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:52 am Reply with quote
Graceful Nanami wrote:
Wild ARMs is the best JRPG series of all time. I miss it so much...

Well said Nanami, and the fact there hasn't been a new game since XF pretty much spells an end to the great Wild West RPG series. I would kill for a Wild Arms 6 on PS3 and I would be okay with it being the last game in the series if that's what Sony wants. You can only stretch a series so far before it stagnates beyond salvaging.

I wish I had contributed a PSP game for the column, but I'm quite happy to see Trails in the Sky, Jeanne d'Arc, Gurumin, Silver Star Harmony and Tales of Eternia on the list. Despite having never played PoPoLoCrois (I should really get to that), I can say with certainty that is a well-written coming of age adventure RPG that did a lot of things right.

My list of games that I would have submitted:

*Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
*Tales of Phantasia FVE
*Hexyz Force
*Brave Story New Traveller
*Crimson Gem Saga
*God Eater Burst
*Star Ocean First Departure
*Ys Seven
*Birth by Sleep

Wow, looking back, the PSP sure was the definitive handheld in my opinion. All those great games...

Last edited by belvadeer on Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:54 am Reply with quote
Media.Vision has been up to a lot post-Wild ARMs. Yes, they created Chaos Rings, but they also worked on Dragon Ball: Revenge of King Piccolo, Valkyria Chronicles 3, and the last two Shining games for PSP. Their current project is this:

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth for Vita.

Wild ARMs is a Sony IP. They're the ones that decide whether or not another one is made.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2